You Can't Let College Soccer Rain On Your Parade

Discussion in 'Coach' started by Restless Abandon, Aug 10, 2015.

1. Restless Abandon

Restless Abandon New Member

Jun 12, 2015
    Club:
    Deportivo Alavés
    Division 1 Collegiate Soccer Coach Scrutiny

I don't know about how many people tune into college soccer or did before I embarked on playing collegiate division 1 soccer. The loss of the women's professional league was disappointing. People do not really tune in to professional women's sports unless its tennis or golf. Even so, it would be good if college coaches were competitive and positive since playing college soccer means nothing in the big scheme of landing your dream job. I would have to say that Kevin Boyd is probably the worst soccer coach I ever encountered. He had national pool players and still couldn't make it to the top 8 teams in the nation. He played non-skilled AYSO type players that bullied people for a position. I don't know how you have the best team potential in the nation and how you are happy with a low score tie game for four years at CAL. I only went there because it was supposed to be a great school and some of the best players in the nation were never promoted or drafted into the professional league. He was also the regional ODP coach for region 4 which means I dislike Leslie Gallimore head of region 4 ODP and her politics. Even more I dislike Tony Diccio because he sounds like a simpleton. I remember going into a bored trance state at each CAL practice since we did crosses and headers for three hours a day. No matter how good you did that day he spoke to you without any positive remark if you were on the B team which always beat the A team. The player he selected as the top player decided to start her career as an office jerk rather than a soccer player so she always geared up with one play that barely made it in the goal while everyone stood there scoreless. All she did was grimace at everybody without any positive comments for anyone. I wasted thousands of dollars in money playing for four years on this bully bored team. I cowered at parties afraid I would get beat up by certain a team player. It wasn't soccer, it wasn't great soccer that makes records or memories, it was selfish crap. Kevin Boyd can't inspire players. I remember he told me once I lost the game when he put me in the last 3 minutes of the game. He always blamed someone for the tie. Because the previous coach selected all these prima donna soccer players, when I complained, Kevin moved the prima donna to another position for a game and then she hated me. It was so caddy. I obviously found better sports and people that are athletes because it seemed that every drug addict or party person got all the playing time meaning the Pac10 can't be that great. He could never run a premiere college soccer program mostly because he likes to chase tail.

2. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
  3. Timbuck

Timbuck Member

Jul 31, 2012
    I'd like to hear more.
    But, can you have your English 101 teaching assistant please proofread your next response and check for proper punctuation and run-on sentences.

4. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    According to her profile, she is 17 years old, and she has so far posted this rant 3 times on BigSoccer. She is either trolling, very angry at some coach, or both. Dealing with life's disappointments is tough at any age, but to succeed you have to switch to a "Plan B" and drive on.

5. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    It's great to be a mod (for once) . . . can see all the deleted posts :D.

No one here knows or probably has played for DiCicco—maybe nicklaino. I got to play for Bradley and Arena as a youth. I've played for other shit coaches. I was probably your age and I let those bad coaches define my self-view too much.

The worst coach I've ever had was this guy: "Rocky M."

I always thought he had no clue. Now a coach myself, I'm 100% certain he had no clue how to coach. You run into that sometimes in life. Define your own path and don't get bogged down in the past. In many ways, I got into coaching because of him—players deserve a good experience.

You say you wasted thousands of dollars. I don't think you did. Now you know what situations you are not happy in—that lesson is priceless. Now, I don't go into any job (coaching or otherwise) without a clear idea of what I want and don't want. That stems from the past experiences.

Ismitje and rca2 repped this.
  6. Restless Abandon

Jun 12, 2015
    Club:
    Deportivo Alavés
    I appreciate your response. Men's soccer tends to be different. I thought it was weird Wondolowksi didn't play much in World Cup. Does anyone have a comment on that? Is MLS that much worse than International Professional Soccer. Either way, I am over Klinsman. I don't think Wondo is that bad where he never plays. It takes a lot of effort to go train with national coaches, state or regional, and the best players should be rewarded and more time should go into evaluating who those are and for what reasons. I do not think they pick the best players in general which in men professional sports doesn't happen. Let's face it Wambach is too old. I am all for professional leagues at 18 and eliminating college soccer.

7. Restless Abandon

Jun 12, 2015
    Club:
    Deportivo Alavés
    Wambach has already taken some amazing players place. Why is she out there? Why don't we have more professional soccer in America, where are the millions of dollars and fan base. Why isn't tennis?

8. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Because she is a physical freak in the women's game. She has a skill set that other players do not have.

9. Restless Abandon

Jun 12, 2015
    Club:
    Deportivo Alavés
    Okay. Those are the type athletes that make it in professional sports like Steffie Graff.

10. Restless Abandon

Jun 12, 2015
    Club:
    Deportivo Alavés
    Maybe the general American population is too small. I went travelling and people are big.

11. Restless Abandon

Jun 12, 2015
    Club:
    Deportivo Alavés
    I am mean too small to be Steffie Graff or Abbey Wambach.

12. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    If you are going to target Wambach, one of the greatest female players of ALL-TIME, that she is not that good (and the only reason for that is her age, not her skill), I'm not sure where you are going with this.

13. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Elessar your youth coach was Bob Bradley as a kid. What club Union Lancers or Princeton soccer club.

He was a player then a coach with the Union lancer who were in the jersey part of the Cosmopolitaian Junion soccer league.

We faced them a few times.

14. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    On dicicco the only thing I remember about him. Was when he was coach of the women's national team he was moving to recruit the bigger women player. That stopped when he left the team.