You Are So Reading What? v. 2019

Discussion in 'Books' started by Ismitje, Jan 1, 2019.

1. Atouk

Atouk BigSoccer Supporter

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last week I finished reading this, also for the first time.

chaski and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  2. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    [​IMG]

The Last London: True Fictions From an Unreal City, the most recent (in the US) collection of fictionalized essays and essay-ified stort stories culminating a fifty year writing career by my favorite England-based writer, Iain Sinclair.

3. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read Catherynne Valente's comic sci-fi novel Space Opera, about two members of a once-glam rock trio selected to represent humanity in the Metagalactic Grand Prix - a universe-wide version of the Eurovision song contest - in order to determine if humans are sentient (and thus avoid being completely wiped out).

[​IMG]

I almost gave up because the cadence threw me - virtually every single sentence is an attempt to be funny, which more-than-verges on overkill - but I got used to it, and enjoyed it/

4. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    [​IMG]

Planet Walker: 22 Years of Walking, 17 Years of Silence by a guy who, in response to a sense of futility brought about by an oil spill in his area, and life in general, decided to embrace the futility by walking around the world (as much as possible) without using motorized vehicles (as much as possible), most of the way without talking, by John Francis. Not sure how I haven't come across this yet, given that I've been reading books on walking and epic walks for awhile.