York Soccer Surges With James at the Helm

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Moaca, May 1, 2006.

1. Moaca

Moaca Member

Mar 8, 2006
    York Soccer Surges With James at the Helm
    TORONTO, April 25, 2006 -- York University
    http://www.yorku.ca/sprtyork/MediaReleases/Archive/Release.asp?Release=1370

[​IMG]
    Paul James watches from the sidelines, while All-Canadian striker April Noga handles the ball during a match at the 2005 CIS National Championship in Edmonton. (Photo by Uwe Welz)

Challenges on the soccer pitch are nothing new to Paul James. With 47 caps for Canada’s senior men’s national team under his belt – including appearances at the 1984 Summer Olympics in Los Angeles and the 1986 World Cup in Mexico – the veteran of both the North American Soccer League and Canadian Soccer League has delivered and received countless tackles.

But one of the biggest challenges James has experienced had nothing to do with getting knocked by an opposing defender. Two years ago, after completing an educational four-and-a-half year stint as coach of Canada’s U20 national men’s side, the Master Coach accepted a position at York University, agreeing to grow both the men’s and women’s varsity programs.

“The primary focus is to create two good teams that are sustainable,” says James. “We’ve made some steps. We’re still not there. But we’ve got some talent.”

York has already reaped some rewards from the revamped soccer programs, the most notable being the women Lions earning the school’s first ever Ontario University Athletics championship with a sensational 1-0 win over the Ottawa Gee-Gees in November. The score line was indicative of the discipline that James has instilled in his players – in 10 regular season games, the women’s side allowed just three goals.

“If you don’t score goals, you can’t win games but if you can’t defend, you won’t win championships,” says James. “You have to understand that and get the balance right.”

Of course, the ability to keep the ball out of the back of the net is just a small component of what James is trying to teach his players. On a much larger scale, he hopes to not only help York’s program evolve by placing an emphasis on commitment and pride, but the entire university system itself.

“It takes time,” says James. “We have to set standards.”

James already has set very high standards on a personal level. The Laurier University grad enjoyed an impressive playing career with the NASL’s Toronto Blizzard and the Doncaster Rovers in England, as well as making four all-star appearances throughout his time in the Canadian Soccer League. It was with the CSL’s Ottawa Intrepid where he got his initial coaching experience, filling the dual role of manager and player. James did the same with the London Lasers in 1992, earning CSL Coach of the Year honours, before taking the next step in his emerging coaching career.

In 1994, at the age of 29, James was offered the position to take over the fledgling soccer program at Le Moyne College in Syracuse, NY. He seized that opportunity and two years later, he was at the helm of an NCAA program as head coach at Niagara University. It was throughout his years south of the border that James got a taste of what success entailed from the coaching perspective. He immersed himself in film and constantly read about the game and how best to teach it, helping him earn Coach of the Year honours in each of the two leagues.

“That period in the States was a huge learning curve I hadn’t planned,” he says. “I was passionate about it.”

James had aspirations of moving on to a big NCAA Division I program but instead, he found himself back in Canada leading the men’s U20 program. While the opportunity was tremendous, he admits that it was “a huge job” that required a level of understanding beyond the formation you employ on match day. Politics, increased media scrutiny and a high level of pressure were just some of the additional things James had to deal with.

“It’s all of those things,” he says. “I didn’t like the political side of it and the angling of people. I learned a lot about myself. I can’t work in that kind of environment.” Edit: I wonder who that was (CSA, coaches, parents, players? The possibilities are endless)

Despite that, the team did well as Team Canada defeated both Mexico and the United States to advance to the 2001 World Youth Championships, making James the first ever Canadian to represent the country at a FIFA sanctioned event as both a player and coach. He left the Canadian Soccer Association and went to the Liverpool, England, where he completed the prestigious Football Industries MBA at the University of Liverpool.

After completing the course in one of the world’s most passionate football environments, James saw the advertisement for the York job and once again, saw an opportunity to make an impact. He admits the program faces some unique obstacles with York being predominantly a commuter school but the overall approach and ethic of the players is certainly improving. For example, James says that fitness was a weak spot with some of the athletes so proper training has become a point of emphasis. So too has flexibility in terms of the style of the two teams. While sound defensive positioning has been one of James’s underlying themes, he has adapted his system to the strengths of his players.

“Our framework will be this – never compromise on ethic and passion,” says James. “But we’ll change. That’s more in line with the modern-day environment in football. If you play one style, you’ll be in trouble.

“You need to adapt.”

Despite his experience with the politics of football in this country, James is trying help foster some change regarding the future of the sport at the Canadian university level. He recognizes that programs throughout Canadian Interuniversity Sport have trouble recruiting top-end talent, which is in part due to the a lack of exposure. The crème-de-la-crème inevitably ends up in the States as part of the collegiate system, which even in Canada, is highly promoted. In a recent visit to the CSA, James asked that the merits of playing in Canada and the CIS be highlighted.

“They were receptive when we went there,” the York coach says with optimism.

Though James's distinguished playing career is long done, the challenges never stop.

-30-

Taken from oua.ca. Written by David DiCenzo, OUA Communications & Media Relations

2. CanuckFan

CanuckFan Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Calgary
    Club:
    FC Energie Cottbus
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    It's hard to have any sympathy for Monsieur James and his stated dislike of the so-called 'political side of it and the angling of people'. This is the guy who took a solid team of U20's led on and off the field by Julian de Guzman (remember, we handed the USA their rear-ends with captain Julian and his 'fab 5' the summer before U20 qualifying. Julian goes on to lead Ali Ngon, Tam Nsaliwa, rookies Iain Hume and Atiba Hutchison and the rest to a first place finish in their qualifying round in Victoria. James then threw that team bonding out the window by jettisoning in Terry Dunfield from the Manchester City reserves as the new captain just weeks prior to our WYC group play in Argentina. The team imploded in Argentina in no small part due to the lack of positive leadership.

Julian has gone on to play in Spain. Terry D. is playing very low level ball in England.

3. simon99

simon99 New Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Montreal, Canada
    I agree.

And let's not forget Paul James blatant hate of quebekers. He left Ali Gerba, Andrew Olivieri, Olivier Occean and Rocco Placentino out of the team. All those guys are playing pro now.

4. jpg75

jpg75 Member

Jun 11, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    But if Terry Dunfield had not been capped by Canada and ended up becoming an EPL regular, then Paul James would be a villian...Mitchell holding out Fernandes on the other hand has been called short-sighted and may have cost us a chance with him....I think we have to remember that these coaches cannot predict the future and do have alot of politics to manage aswell. not a job i would want....

5. CanuckFan

CanuckFan Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Calgary
    Club:
    FC Energie Cottbus
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Nobody questioned bringing Dunfield in, but giving him the captain's armband was a joke.

6. Depends how much emphasis is actually placed on the captain's armband IMO. For some coaches it doesn't mean very much at all and just determines who goes up and shakes hands with the ref at the start of the game. I'm surprised people in soccer would get this worked up about it. That's usually more of a hockey trait. Think some of the responses in this thread show how much regionalism is a factor in Canadian politics and why it's maybe easier for foreign coaches like Osieck and Pellerud in some ways because perceptions of bias are removed.

7. CanuckFan

CanuckFan Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Calgary
    Club:
    FC Energie Cottbus
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    My posts have SFA to do with regionalism thanks.
    Of course the captains arm band isn't quite what the 'C' is on a hockey team.
    Nonetheless, there is no doubt that James dicked around with the team chemistry with disastrous results. This is above and beyond any criticism of his on-field tactics.
    I find it ironic that James plays the 'off the field' card in the interview.

8. Moaca

Moaca Member

Mar 8, 2006
    Oh, come on. Anything to do with Alberta can do no wrong and anything to do with the CSA can do no right. Since the Whore episode you've increasingly become this way.

The above posts are correct, no coach can accurately predict who will become a star or not.

9. CanuckFan

CanuckFan Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Calgary
    Club:
    FC Energie Cottbus
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    How about backing up that accusation? This thread is about Paul James and the U20s and, as far as players go, Julian de Guzman and Terry Dunfield. What does Alberta have to do with it?
    What does your and BBTB's assertion that no coach can predict who will be a star have to do with my posts. I agree. I am saying that taking the captain's armband from the team leader and handing it to someone who the boys had never met was partly the reason the team was so poor in the finals.

10. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Especially the end result (3L with 0GF, 9GA and at the bottom of the tournament)