Yordanis Alvarez

Discussion in 'Austin Aztex' started by ccuba71, Jul 2, 2009.

1. ccuba71

ccuba71 Member

Jan 18, 2007
    Miami, Fl
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Does any body knows what can of injury hi has and when he will back?

2. mgrayscale

mgrayscale Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Buda, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My understanding is that he broke a bone in his foot in a training exercise prior to a match in Austin. Not sue what the ETA is for his return.

3. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My memory is that broken bones are 6-8 weeks. It's been at least a couple since that happened, so we're looking at at least another four weeks.

We miss him.

4. ccuba71

ccuba71 Member

Jan 18, 2007
    Miami, Fl
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Any updates on his injury?, he should almost ready

5. Roma_Wolves

Roma_Wolves New Member

May 4, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We miss him. Hopefully he'll be back soon.

6. Native Aztexan

Jan 27, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I happened to hear Phil on 1300 this morning, and he said that Yordany will be back for the game Sunday!

8. Barbaro

Barbaro Member

Roma
    United States
    May 3, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yeah. Press release from Aztex FO:
    MATCH PREVIEW - Austin Aztex FC (3-12-7, 14 points) vs. Minnesota Thunder (3-10-6, 15 points) (Sunday, August 16 @ 6 pm)

New and familiar faces return to Austin lineup in key battle for playoff survival

AUSTIN, Texas – Since two key players, midfielder Yordany Alvarez and goalkeeper Miguel Gallardo suffered serious injuries in mid-June, Austin (3-12-7, 14 pts) has struggled compiling a 1-8-3 record including its current three-game losing streak. On Sunday night against the Minnesota Thunder (3-10-6, 15 pts), one of the teams battling with the Aztex for the final playoff spot, Austin fans will possibly get a chance to see one of those players return to action, as well as a couple of other familiar faces in a pair of MLS players who have also seen some time with the squad this season.

Alvarez and Gallardo were both back in action training hard this week with the squad. Head coach Adrian Heath said while Gallardo is still a few games away, Alvarez may see some action for the first time since he injured his foot on June 16 in pre-game warm-ups before the U.S. Open Cup second-round matchup against the Mississippi Brilla. “He will be a late decision but the good news is he is available for selection. We have to discover has he done enough work to play.”

Prior to the injury, Alvarez had tallied eight points including three goals and a pair of assists in just 10 games. He was the second-leading scorer on the squad. His breakout game came against the Puerto Rico Islanders in which he scored a pair of goals and added an assist in a 3-1 victory over one of the USL-1’s top teams and top goalkeepers in Bill Gaudette. For his efforts, Alvarez was named USL-1 Player of the Week.

Although Gallardo returned to practice on Monday this week, Heath said he needs more time. “Miguel is a little bit away. He’s obviously improving. It’s great to have him back out on the training pitch, not only in visibility, but to see that smiley face. He’s a good guy to have around the group. We’re just pleased to have him back with us. This weekend is going to be too early for him. The fact that he is out and about is a big boost for everybody.”

With Gallardo still sidelined, Heath will turn to backup keeper Nick Noble, who recently signed with the Aztex and made his first start for the team last weekend in the 1-0 loss at Rochester. Noble, who was drafted in the first round, 7th overall, by the Chicago Fire in the 2007 MLS Supplemental Draft, played well against the Rhinos recording five saves including a tough save early in the second half in what was his first-ever professional start.

“I felt a little shaky at the beginning, but once I settled in, I felt comfortable,” the 24-year-old keeper said of last weekend’s game. “I felt the team played well. They made my job easy. I only had to make one or two saves and gave up one late. Overall it was pretty decent.”

Noble said the squad has had a good week of practice and as long as they keep working hard at it, he believes luck will turn in Austin’s favor. “We played well in Rochester and were unlucky to get a result. We just have to keep playing well and the breaks will come our way and we’ll start putting the ball in the back of the net. We just got to try and keep the zero, keep the shutout. That’s my goal going into the weekend and that’s our defense’s goal. We know if we do that, we’re going to get some points.”

In addition, two more familiar faces in Real Salt Lake defender David Horst and midfielder Jean Alexandre will be available for action against Minnesota. Each has already played in multiple games for the Aztex this season including the June 12 contest at Puerto Rico, where Alexandre blasted a shot from 35 yards out that earned him honors for USL-1 Goal of the Week.

9. ccuba71

ccuba71 Member

Jan 18, 2007
    Miami, Fl
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Alvarez can play!!! OH yeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh!!!!

10. ccuba71

ccuba71 Member

Jan 18, 2007
    Miami, Fl
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    He has been used in the last 2 games, does he is injured again?

11. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My guess is that they decided to not take him with them on the trip because they were playing their second game in Canada. Because of the immigration/defection/whatever status that Yordani has, if he goes to Canada, he can't get back in to the US.

12. mgrayscale

mgrayscale Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Buda, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Violet is right, Yordany was not taken on this current road trip as the Vancouver match is in Canada, as is tomorrow nights exhibition against the Victoria Highlanders (PDL). Yordany's status in the US will prevent him from leaving the US and her territories, so no Montreal, Vancouver or even the upcoming United Kingdom tour (middle of August) to Stoke-on-the-Trent.