Kik Pierie at Excelsior (olf Ajax)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Feb 20, 2014.

1. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Another one - this is just a clickbait two sentence summary, but still interesting how this is now associated with Kik in a way I hadn't noticed as much before. No idea if it means anything or has just seeped into the zeitgeist. For sure Kik is getting more mention in N'lands due to him being a fairly well regarded young prospect and featuring recently with the U's.

UniversalAdvice, edcrocker and ChuckMe92 repped this.
  2. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    can we kik it?

3. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Prettig sinterklaasfeest Kik!

(And Feynie fan! Hope you got lots of licorice.)

4. o_O...:cautious:...how did you know I just chucked some in my mouth:unsure:

Anyway...thanks and the same to you and your loved ones:thumbsup:

freisland repped this.
  5. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  6. You know they do Sinterklaas somewhat different in Friesland:
    [​IMG]

7. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I've seen the good man himself in Leeuwarden! I think @LouisianaViking07/09 is from down Long Beach way. Sinterklaas shows up there by boat on the 5th every year. I should have told Lou to go get some noten and speculass.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  8. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    As long as Zwart Piet doesn't show up ;)

superdave and BostonRed repped this.
  9. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    They now do "multi-colored" Peters in Long Beach, I think. It's no less racist, really, just sort of more widely offensive and tone-deaf...

It's pretty much time to make Sinterklaas a solo act. Now to get someone to explain why he's a castrati. Some old traditions are very strange...

10. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    How long have they celebrated that here? I've been here 5 years and never knew of this.

I've some Dutch pals in Scheveningen who I've visited like 5 times and this is the only thing we have ever argued about. The husband doesn't think its a big deal while the wife (my close friend) understands the argument and prefers everyone being Piet.

It is very odd considering Dutchies are so tolerant of many things.

11. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    They've been doing the Long Beach thing for a long time, I think. Sinterklaas comes in on boat, and tosses out sweets, the whole shebang. We took the kids like... 15 years ago? (I lied, I guess it was technically in San Pedro and it may have ended. These are the most recent pix I could (easily) find:
    http://www.dutchschoolla.org/activities/sinterklaas-2013

And yeah, Peter is pretty divisive, even in the N'lands. Many folks get it, but lots don't want to admit their "innocent" childhood fun was tainted by something less than 100% innocent.

And just to keep things on topic, it appears Kik was 'Veen's best Kop Dueler last game...

12. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Heerenveen spank bad little Willy II 5-1. There was only a point or two separating them before today's game. 'Veen on a little win-streak. I didn't see this one, but at last one fan thinks Kik's move to center is a part of the recent success...

13. Willem II had to play most of the time with ten men after e red in the box plus penalty.

freisland repped this.
  14. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I'll def keep my eye out for the King's Day celebration next year. Though, I'm not 1 to express sentiment for celebrating monarchs...then again I do adore the Dutch and I need to let loose and party :D

15. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    It's mostly American-Dutch families with little kids, but still pretty fun. A friend of mine thinks they've combined it with the QEII holiday party somehow.

If you really want to get all Nordic Christmas they might still do the Sweden Xmas fair at the Shrine around the same time. Good Swedish meatballs and lots of straw reindeer tree ornaments!

16. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I'll def keep an eye out for that as well. But hmm I wonder if i'd stand out as a single guy trying to grab some Dutchie goodies at that festival. I'll be sure to wear my Den Haag FC tee my Dutch pals got me some years ago. It might help integrate me.

17. As long as you donot pee in the streets. If caught you pay a 90 €€ fine.
    A few years ago it was on tv when an English speaking foreigner was caught peeing on the street by a cop on horseback in Amsterdam on Kings Day. So the unfortunate guy had to pay 90€€. While he was being fined the horse started to pee and when a horse pees it's alot more than you can or that fined guy had. It was priceless to see the expression of that guy's face looking at the horse peeing.:ROFLMAO:

18. If you wear it in Amsterdam you're more likely get beaten up, so that's not a good idea.

19. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    :(:confused::oops: *writes down your carefully listed advice*

Something similar almost occurred when I was in Catania this August sporting a Palermo jersey (that I had gotten days earlier in Palermo). I like the pink color. Not many noticed; probably because they were tourists. But while biking around the highway; 4 Italian dudes of around age 20/21 saw me and forced me into a shop. They insisted I throw off the pink top. Kept arguing amongst themselves. The Chinese women who owned the shop must have been terrified for what they might do. Luckily they bought me a cheap shirt and gave to me while they grab my Palermo and warned me "no no".
    Ah, fun times.

UniversalAdvice repped this.
  20. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    You got a link to that?

21. If I can find a vid of it, but it was on tv years ago, so I've no clue if it will be on youtube.

22. Kik made it into this team of the week:
    https://www.voetbalprimeur.nl/nieuw...oele-frenkie-en-feyenoord-debutant-kokc-.html

Kik Pierie (sc Heerenveen)
    Op bezoek bij Willem II liet Pierie zien dat hij áltijd in het centrum hoort te spelen. In Tilburg gaf de jonge verdediger een masterclass in opbouwen, samen met zijn collega Daniel Hoegh. Heerenveen-trainer Jan Olde Riekerink moet ook gezien hebben dat Pierie een klasse - of zelfs twee klasses - beter is dan bankzitter Dave Bulthuis

When visiting Willem II, Pierie showed that he always had to play in the center. In Tilburg, the young defender set up a masterclass building up, together with his colleague Daniel Hoegh. Heerenveen coach Jan Olde Riekerink must also have seen that Pierie is a class - or even two classes - better than bank chairman Dave Bulthuis

Coach JOR is an idiot if it takes 14 matches to come to that conclusion. I posted that recently.

23. And into Voetbal International's team of the week:
    [​IMG]

24. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    UniversalAdvice repped this.
  25. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001