Kik Pierie at Excelsior (olf Ajax)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Ouch, that Voetbal International article could spell disaster with the USSF intentions.
    The KNVB were heavily criticized for the way they handled Dutch born with Morocco roots star player Ziyech. (akin to the Jonathan Gonzales case) He chose to play for Morocco, after being left in limbo by the Orange coaches if he would be a player for the selection.

So I'm afraid that article is going to sound alarm bells in Zeist to avoid another Ziyech.

2. Sup Bro

Sup Bro Member+

Oct 26, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have no expectations of ever seeing him in a US shirt, but wouldn’t mind being pleasantly surprised.

3. MtnGardener

MtnGardener Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 21, 2017
    Nationalist ideas of purity are a pretty ugly pit. Why put even a toe into that pit?

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  4. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i get all that, and i dont try to define what "being american" means to anyone else- thats why i included his quote. he says hes dutch and his family is dutch. he didnt say hes american, or dutch-american, however you want to look at it.

so its just a matter of soccer now. its not his "fault" (like thats a thing) that he is/feels/identifies/was raised/however you want to describe it- dutch, or jones' that he was german, rossi italian etc. those are hard teams to get into.

my only point past that, once we are effectively the backup plan for someone, is that they give themselves to the team. a player with the sense that they are above us (im an american-american if thats unclear) is cancer to a team.

there needs to be pride, both from the player and the fed. i bet terrence boyd wears american flag pajamas..and we should never, ever call chandler in again- even if yedlin, moore, cannon, zusi, lennon, out of position cameron, fossey, out of retirement cherundolo and olusunde break their legs the day before a camp for a meaningless friendly opens.

5. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Citizenship is a legal question, end stop.

Fitness for a national team is a question of talent, character, commitment and desire.

Anyone willing to fly from Heerenveen to LA or Chile to play in multiple friendlies, Gold Cup Games, risking club coach displeasure, injury and fatigue is ok by me.

It will soon be clear if they don't have the real desire and commitment. And in that case they will have screwed themselves by being cap-tied by a country they don't want to play for, and likely will not get game time with.

Pierie is good, but is no Cafu. If he were to switch "mercenarily" he would eventually be found out, benched and without any national team to play for.

I doubt that's a huge problem for any competitive soccer nation. Faroe Islands might put up with a diva act. The US or N'lands will not.

gunnerfan7, largegarlic, Zinkoff and 5 others repped this.
  6. Purity and integrity in the sense donot cheat against what deck of cards you have been handed.
    Our soccer culture has made us what we are on the world stage, a tiny country with a disproportional clout since the mid sixties.
    Other countries this small sometimes have a brief moment of glory when a few outstanding players come along like Hungary and Portugal and big ones too like England. We on the other hand are simply a world power with temporary dips. That's the result of that culture I referred to within the Netherlands when it's about soccer. The players that arenot submerged in that culture, like the Dutch kids raised (=destroyed) in EPL academies bring with them the mediocracy of the approach of those countries. If we Dutch would let that in our Orange team, the defining difference that sets us apart from the crowd evaporates and then we can say goodbye to our special status on the soccer world stage.
    The Orange team for decades is a success because we do it our Dutch way. If we let in players raised in those mediocre styles, we become like those countries, unsuccessful wannabees.

7. mattjo

mattjo Member+

Feb 3, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought the Dutch were the chronic underachievers.... I kid I kid. I grew up loving Gullit and Van Basten and actually have a Hup Holland flag from the 94 world Cup. Saw them beat Ireland during that cup... too bad they ran into Brazil in the QFs. Great QF match. Should have been the final.

8. I know you kid.
    The number of countries that want to fill our shoes as underachievers is about as long as the member list of the FIFA, apart from the actual World Cup winners.

9. Kik with a crucial block on a Bjorn attempt to score, but what really was the cherry of Kik's cake was his casual flick across the pitch that set up the second goal.
    That effortless pass he conceived within a blink of an eye is the marker of Kik's quality as a player.

Tom Collingsworth and edcrocker repped this.
  10. MtnGardener

MtnGardener Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 21, 2017
    :rolleyes:

frankburgers repped this.
  11. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
  12. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
  13. Watch us kick the shit out of France in the NL soon.
    This year:
    Orange 3- 0 vs European Champions 2016 Portugal
    Orange 3- 0 vs World Champions 2014 Germany
    Orange ?- ? vs World Champions 2018 France

14. MtnGardener

MtnGardener Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 21, 2017
    Calling other nations "unsuccessful wannabes" and therefore dismissing all players that come from those nations is... well, each can think what they want about it.

15. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    largegarlic and UniversalAdvice repped this.
  16. Heerenveen had to swallow a draw against promoted Emmen, 1-1.
    Emmen was more dangerous throughout the match. In my eyes Kik was a bit undecisive in his actions. I didnot like how the Emmen attacker Kik had closed down against the back line still managed to get/pass the ball into the box crossing in front of the goal in the final minutes just before the equalizer was scored from the corner.
    The whole team however was very sloppy.

Tom Collingsworth and edcrocker repped this.
  17. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
  18. Yeah, it's a call to you and your wife to return and set things straight again:D

19. Like you as a steward want to tell your wife you grabbed a naked woman on the pitch:ROFLMAO:
    If it was a bloke they would be all over the guy.

20. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    My father-in-law would not be impressed. Midnight on New Years - and not a moment before!

21. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Sadly, citizenship has no IQ test or we could be one poster less on the USMNT boards...

Neither DACA nor the Dream Act confer citizenship. That is a BS line used by racists and white supremacists/nationalist to lie about what the policy actually does do.

Dirt McGirt repped this.
  22. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To disagree on highly fraught issues of immigration policy = must be racist.

Let the insults fly my friend--it shows how high your IQ is and why you deserve to post here.

23. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Dude. You quoted about citizenship and mentioned Dreamers which has nothing to do with citizenship or anything on this thread. We all remember your BS around the Dortmund bus bombing. Why would you mention Dreamers in a thread on a US prospect born in Boston?

There is only one reason.

It's clear.