YNT post-mortem: U.S. players born '93-'96

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Mar 30, 2016.

1. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    The Galaxy passed on the 2019 picks it acquired in return for Jose Villareal and Jack MacBean.

2. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    #727 Peretz48, Jan 17, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
    Eric Wynalda has cobbled together a bunch of once were assorted YNT players for the Las Vegas Lights, including the oft maligned Javan Torre. Those of us in and around the So. Calif. youth scene will remember some of these guys. Some are not thread relevant, but it's still fun to see what became of them.

https://www.lasvegaslightsfc.com/news_article/show/982820

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  3. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Matt Miazga with a chance to get back on track................

4. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Tom Collingsworth, TxEx and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  5. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My first guess was Eder Arreola (Cal FC connection) but apparently he's in Armenia now...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eder_Arreola

6. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Inbox:

NEW YORK (January 25, 2019) - The New York Cosmos announced today the signing of goalkeeper Santiago Castaño.

Castaño most recently played with TSF Academy in the National Premier Soccer League (NPSL).​

7. Brotheryoungbuck

Jan 24, 2015
    parts unknown
    Remember when this guy kept Steffen and Horvath on the bench? Lol

xbhaskarx and ChuckMe92 repped this.
  8. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Keepers, center defenders and target forward types develop later. Seemingly bigger bodies take more reps to become comfortable.

9. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    '94 Alonso Hernandez has had an okay season for Correcaminos in Ascenso MX.

(skip to 2:05)

Pl@ymaker and Winoman repped this.
  10. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    San Antonio Acquires Jamieson IV on Loan

That lost generation of LA Galaxy homegrowns... BJIV is still technically with LA, Raul Mendiola just moved from Vegas to Reno, Jose Villareal had his option declined by Orlando City, Jaime Villareal is with Sacramento, Oscar Sorto is in El Salvador, and Jack McBean is retiring (confirmed)...

11. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    '94 forward Nick DePuy, he of 6-foot-5 stature, is apparently on trial with Los Dos. Subbed in last week against Orange County SC.

Luksarus repped this.
  12. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
  13. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    olephill2 and Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  14. NewArsenal11

NewArsenal11 New Member

Sep 3, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid

15. NewArsenal11

NewArsenal11 New Member

Sep 3, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Reading old threads, a bit Harsh on Nathan Smith. No touch, no skills? The kid was thrown into a role prematurely due to injury. Playedwith the flying Belgian who thought he was playing striker and showing zero leadership in organization on the back line. Then you had Jao Pedro and Jermaine I dont know what shape means Jones providing support. He was asked to not just play Rt back but also left back. You have a bias if you really think he has no touch and is a hippo. Really.. just saying.

16. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I had watched Nathan Smith for several years. Perhaps I overreacted, but my criticism of his technical skills stands. There are just certain players whose lack of technical ability just annoys me. But the player who really annoys me, because he's managed to carve out a pro career and get USMNT minutes is Brek Shea. I don't get Brek Shea. Can someone tell me the virtues of Brek Shea, aside from "he's big, and he's pacey."

17. Luksarus

Luksarus Member

United States
    Jul 27, 2018
    I found it interesting to see that some players have emerged later than the rest
    -Tyler Miller '93, is having a good season with LAFC, previously was in some friendly with the U23 team but was never a recurring player.
    -Memo Rodriguez '95, I have not seen many games of him, but his statistics are very good. He was never called to a youth team.
    -Jacori Hayes '95, was not very recurrent this season but has earned a place in the team
    -Corey Baird '96, his numbers this season are not good, but he is a good player. Lately he is a recurring player called the MNT. He played with the team U17 and U18 but he was never called with the U20 team
    -Nick Lima '94, is having a great season and was called with the MNT. He was never called to a youth team
    -Kegan Roseberry '93, although the Colorado season is very bad, he looked good in several games. He was called to a camp last year by the MNT. He was never called to a youth team.
    -Sean Davis '93, very regular for the NYRB season, is a very interesting player. He was never called to a youth team.
    -Alex Muyl '95, the times I've seen him surprised me, he's a very skilled player. He was called to the U17, U18 and U23 teams but never to the U20 that would have been his respective age group.
    -Brandon Bye '95, is having a good season despite the poor results of the Revs. He was never called to a youth team.
    -Chris Mueller '96, of the players who have never been called to a youth team, Mueller has been the player that I liked the most this season. He is an incredibly good player who can play much as RW or CF. He should be called to the MNT.

Pl@ymaker, autobus39 and TarHeels17 repped this.
  18. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Good post. I'll just nitpick a bit and note that Baird and Muyl did get short U20 looks, and Davis was involved here and there through the U18s -- and also praise Memo, who was something of an out-of-nowhere signing (at least, to those of us here) by Houston and quickly started contributing for Charleston. I've always rooted for that dude.

Luksarus and Winoman repped this.
  19. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Snip:

Las Vegas Lights FC announced on Wednesday a pair of new signings including forward Jose Villarreal, formerly of the LA Galaxy.
    https://www.uslchampionship.com/news_article/show/1024643

As of this moment, LVLFC is mid-table in the west, just below the playoff line.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  20. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Snip:

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. – New Mexico United introduced its first new signing of the offseason on Thursday with former Xolos and New York Red Bulls midfielder Amando Moreno joining the club for the 2020 USL Championship season.
    https://www.uslchampionship.com/news_article/show/1069721

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  21. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
  22. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Another sign we're all getting old: We're just a few months from needing another of these threads for the '97-'00 group!

Tom Collingsworth and Winoman repped this.
  23. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    FWIW, Raul Mendiola has joined Landon Donovan's San Diego squad.

Peretz48 repped this.
  24. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    #749 Dave Marino-Nachison, Feb 18, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
    By my count, at most 4 of the 79 guys called up by Ramos in the 2015 cycle didn't sign at least one pro contract. One was Trevor Haberkorn, a '95 who I believe had some pretty serious injury issues. (The others were Suli Dainkeh, Miguel Polley and Travis Wannemuehler, unless I missed something.) He's now apparently coaching youth in Texas.

https://home.gotsoccer.com/(X(1))/rankings/team.aspx?TeamID=1227759

25. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

autobus39 repped this.