YNT post-mortem: U.S. players born '93-'96

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Mar 30, 2016.

1. USSoccerNova

USSoccerNova Member+

Sep 28, 2005
    Substitute Bayern Munich/Dortmund for MNUFC/RSL above and your post would a bit more accurate. Seriously though, nice to see him improving and starting to get the attention of opposing coaches.

2. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RIP Kellyn Acosta’s career.

3. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    He is a good center mid. He could be a stellar left back.

4. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    He needs to go to Europe, but I assume if he had interest, he would've went instead of being traded. They didn't seem to have any problem letting him leave, so I don't think FCD is what held Acosta back. I think its himself. He should've left last summer. Waited too long. He's close to being too old to go to Europe. European teams stop taking up significant interest in Americans once they are in their mid 20's.

5. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Colorado will put an end to that kind of talk

6. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Who's going to pay for him at this point? He's been abjectly terrible for over a year now. Supposedly there's some behind the scenes issues as well and it's gotten to the point that Ulloa of all people is ahead of him on the depth chart and everyone's been saying Hayes needs to play more because he's been really good when out there. So at this juncture Dallas is willing to say bye. That's not a rousing endorsement of his play.

7. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But, but, he got a raising video.

8. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is what scares me about the Crew not selling Steffen. The plan is apparently to wait until the offseason after he has gotten a few more NT matches and proof of his increasing skill level. That was Dallas’ plan and look how that backfired. Sometimes you have to strike while the iron is hot because of you wait then so many factors start to come into play.

9. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Depends if you’re a fan of the team or the player. The incentives for selling a player are so low in mls that if I were a crew fan I’d prefer they just let his contract expire.

10. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    I don't believe Dallas had any offers.

11. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #686 Clint Eastwood, Jul 23, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
    Yup. He's been poor since the 2017 Gold Cup. Hit some sort of wall there (it was his first year of full time MLS and USMNT play), and then he got hurt. While he was out, others like Jacori Hayes have shown that they can do the job. And FCD has a host of other young CMs in the pipeline to consider.

He wanted to leave MLS last summer window, but FCD didn't want to sell him then. They wanted to sell him in the January window. But I don't think offers have come in from abroad this past winter (we don't know that they came in last summer either).

It wouldn't surprise me if Acosta demanded to be sold or traded due to his lack of playing time so far this season. But if the offers aren't there, then what is FCD supposed to do? So now he's off to the MLS version of Coventry. FCD would love to sell him abroad. As a homegrown, they get to keep the transfer fee. But barring that it makes sense to trade him within MLS, and keep the assembly line moving.....................

Sad that its come to this, really. He really was the poster child for everything going right with FCD's homegrown program. They introduced him to the squad at a really young age, and he developed to the point that he STARTED a WCQer in the Azteca. He actually played really well in that game. A great end to the story would have been a sale to Europe. The fans have built up a great connection to Kellyn as "one of their own" as well. But everything just seemed to stall. I don't think it has anything to do with unhappiness about a lack of a transfer. He as a player, partly due to lingering injury problems (followed by surgery), just stalled over the past year. Now its kinda ending in a strained way. So its sad to me.

12. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. Personally it’s a bit of both. Berhalter is known for being a players coach. When players have wanted to leave he has accommodated that there are several good examples of that but Meram is the most recent. In theory that should help the recruitment of new players because they know the club won’t stand in their way if they end up with the opportunity to leave.

13. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There’s certainly something to be said for that. But I still think as an MLS club there’s so little incentive to sell, and realistically most players who are young and with promise have little leverage when signing their first contract that that’s a minimal concern.

14. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well sounds like Dallas got a haul for him. Badji is a pretty decent forward by mls standards. Plus probably a top 3 pick should yield a decent player. Plus since Badji is getting his green card right now they’ll get an extra international slot for two years. All for a player who was sitting on the bench.

15. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Yeah they got an international roster spot for two years, Colorado's first rounder this year (likely to be top 5), and apparently also have a sell-on clause. Plus Badji.

Ironically it was another MLS homegrown that may have done Acosta in. This play really stood out for FCD fans. Due to either a physical or mental problem, Adams just was roasting him in this game. Being a more positive sort, I thought this was physical. Others think he just quit. Hard to say.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  16. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow that’s pretty awful effort.

17. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Also worth pointing out that Acosta was on a $300k/year salary. In the salary capped world of MLS, a $300k/year player isn't a bench player. Jacori Hayes makes $75k. Basic "capology" here. If Hayes is playing better or the same right now, then the decision on what to do makes itself. Its a tough one for sentimental reasons, but an easy one from a business standpoint.

I'm a big Acosta fan. He just seemed to "lose it" after not being sold last summer. He seemed to hit a wall both physically and mentally. If "right" he can be a starting CM for a supporter's shield winner.

Winoman repped this.
  18. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've seen several references among Dallas soccer media types like 3rd Degree to some sort of off-the-field issue that Acosta has been dealing with. I don't know to what they are referring, but I just wanted to put it out there.

19. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Former US U18 and late '94 Brendan Hines-Ike is off to K.V. Kortrijk, likely an immediate starter:

I am not convinced this is a player the US should let go to Ireland. Brooks is hurt often. CCV has yet to play league matches above the Championship, and although he physically developed well early, he clearly has some technical/passing/mobility limitations. EPB has a lot of promise, he eventually should surpass CCV, but we'll have to see how he does in the Eredivisie. And I'm certainly not convinced Hines-Ike is automatically worse than Parker, Zimmerman, Long.

Winoman repped this.
  20. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hines-Ike has obviously done well with his career so far, but I'm not super worried. If Hines-Ike were a player that Euro scouting departments thought would end up as a Big Five league starter, he'd probably be going to a bigger club than Kortrijk at age 23.

21. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tyler Turner playing indoor soccer:

1025095535873728512 is not a valid tweet id

22. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Those seem like fairly high-profile players to be joining an indoor squad.

23. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Boxi Yomba going back overseas?
    1025456566416367617 is not a valid tweet id

24. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like it, but with which team?

25. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tom Collingsworth and Winoman repped this.