YNT post-mortem: U.S. players born '93-'96

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Mar 30, 2016.

1. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Problem with Mikey is that he got older but he didn't get any better.

2. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    We can't all be like that guy @Dave Marino-Nachison.

3. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Winoman and TxEx repped this.
  4. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Peretz48, TarHeels17 and Gorky repped this.
  5. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Pl@ymaker repped this.
  6. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Worth reading the entire thread for context, but it would certainly be noteworthy if Najem, who has less than 2 full matches of MLS experience to his name, ends up the starting #10 for Philly.

Pl@ymaker and Rahbiefowlah repped this.
  7. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Oscar Sorto will be back with Orange County. (I missed, by the way, that their head coach was Braeden Cloutier -- a guy I thought was going to have a better career as a player than he ultimately did, though he did get about 100 MLS games.)

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  8. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Alan Winn, a second-round pick of the Rapids out of UNC, signed with USL Nashville.

TarHeels17 and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  9. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas

Pl@ymaker and Winoman repped this.
  10. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    And yet another signing today. Pretty big club, actually.

Tactical Hipster, Winoman, TxEx and 2 others repped this.
  11. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Looking less likely now:

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  12. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    This is what I have as the latest for the non-pros from the 2015 cycle -- updates/corrections welcome:

Jeff Caldwell -- drafted 2018 (NYCFC)
    Suli Dainkeh -- not aware of pro staus after college (finished at U-Md. in 2017)
    Caleb Duvernay -- drafted 2018 (POR)
    Chase Gasper -- has 1 yr. left in college (U-Md.)
    Trevor Haberkorn -- hurt in 2017 preseason after college, may be trying a comeback
    Christopher Lema -- drafted 2018 (DAL)
    Ricky Lopez-Espin -- drafted 2018 (RSL)
    Jalen Markey -- not aware of pro staus after college (was senior at Oregon St. this year)
    Thomas Olsen -- drafted 2018 (COL)
    Robert Sagel -- was with USL RGV last season
    Caleb Smith -- has 1 yr. left in college (SMU)
    Travis Wannemuehler -- appears to have started non-soccer career​

13. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I know people may have seen this elsewhere, but this whole saga is really disappointing. One thing after another. At this point I don't know if an MLS club will even be interested. He may have to come and rehabilitate in the USL.

14. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    So far the only one of these I have seen a signing announcement for is Caldwell. Did I miss anything?

15. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is nothing harder on a player than being consistently injured. It's not just hard that their not playing but they also feel they're letting down their teammates. My youngest went through different knee problems and it sure wore on him.

16. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sebastian Ibeagha is even older than this age group, but he is maybe becoming an MLS starter with NYCFC.

17. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    Corey Baird had a really good 25 minute sub appearance for RSL. Damn near had a goal on a 35 yard chip.

18. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    I've been saying this for years, which means I will probably be proven wrong, but I've always thought Baird looked like a pro. How far he goes after four years of college remains to be seen, and I don't know whether he's going to be a long-term MNT contributor, but plenty of guys don't quite get all the way there while still being pretty good players. He seems to be in a good environment for now.

Brotheryoungbuck repped this.
  19. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
  20. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
  21. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yedlin is probably a top 25 USA player in history. The rest other than Trapp and the two playing up a cycle are Irrelevant and Trapp is barely fringe players for one of the worst US player pools ever.

22. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I think we need to look at it from the prior expectations, not what we are seeing now with McKennie, Pulisic and co.

We can quibble about exactly how good certain players are, but am I wrong in saying 3-4 of those players make the WC if we had qualified? Is that out of the ordinary for what we've seen from our U-20 WC team in the past? And then there are also some others like Brooks, Morris who weren't on that team, but are from those years.

I think that team was pretty bad and untalented, especially the sheer number of players who are struggling to hold down pro jobs, but it might not be the total disaster it was made out to be. I can't look now, but I'd suspect some better performing U-20 WC teams produced even less NT players.

23. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    A subpar return.
    However, we started to have an inkling of that shortly after the end of that U20 run. Although I bet we could make a decent list of current MLSers or better that were eligible for that team, but weren't selected.

When people look at the current USMNT problems........................we on the youth boards kinda saw this coming. Cuz the 2011 and 2013 U20 teams didn't provide much of a return. The 2011 U20 qualifying team (that failed) doesn't even have a Yedlin in it. There isn't a single USMNT regular from that group. [Although there were some injuries and players that weren't released.]

24. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Trapp is Dave Sarachan’s midfield cornerstone. So watch your mouth

25. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    He's also played well in the first two matches this year, and has been one of the best CM's in MLS this season. I don't see whats wrong with him.