YNT post-mortem: U.S. players born '93-'96

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Mar 30, 2016.

1. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Much was expected of him 5-6 years ago, and now we're seeing that his ceiling may be no more than an MLS journeyman, at best. We've repeated this process time and time again, i.e., we hype young prospects and then when they don't meet our original expectations we act all surprised.

The flavor of the moment seems to be Carleton. Maybe, just maybe, Tata Martino knows what he's doing in not giving Carleton minutes. Look, I would like nothing more than to see Carleton blossom into a really good player, but right now he's a young prospect, and that's all. He could go in many directions. Maybe he'll become a mainstay of the USMNT, or maybe he'll be Gil 2.0. We shall see...

2. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Gil also is example 9879870987345 of why USYNT performance really means nothing with regards to future success at the adult pro level. He was arguably our best player at the 2013 U20 World Cup, scoring a cracker against Spain.

Still only 23.......................so I'd also caution on writing him off just yet.
    It seems to me that clubs still can't find a position for him. Perhaps he's not good enough as a #10 for MLS clubs to build around. Was he going to start in Orlando over frickin' Kaka. And we can go around the league and find it hard to locate a starting spot. So is he a two-way central midfielder? Not really. RSL tried that with only moderate success.

3. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A lot of players who come up as attacking mids need to reinvent themselves when they're not quite good enough to play that at pro level. Daniel Hernandez and Kyle Beckerman are great examples of guys who learned to play tougher and move back a few feet and became very good defensive mids. Gil likely needs to this to to prolong his career.

Winoman repped this.
  4. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Outside of the sketchiness of LAGs claim at the very least this gives clubs an incentive to actually have an academy. Sooner or later McK, Wright and others will return to MLS. This gives clubs some hope for all the work put into these guys.

5. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Marc Pelosi is now on loan to Reno and he made his first appearance in nearly two years last night.

anivha repped this.
  6. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stanko nowhere to be seen in Freiburg's cup game.

Meanwhile Sean Davis is doing this in MLS

7. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    'Lipe' Fernandes made the USL TOTW for Reno. He's got four goals and a couple assists this season.

8. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    #483 Dave Marino-Nachison, Aug 27, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
    Winoman and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  9. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
  10. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Here's a story on why Chase Gasper ('96) transferred from UCLA to Maryland for his last season:

In shuffling from one powerhouse to another, Gasper did not lose program status. And in returning to the area, he gained proximity to his father, a former backup quarterback at Ohio State who is stricken with small fiber neuropathy (SFN), a condition that causes severe pain attacks.

“It takes a huge weight off my shoulders,” Chase said. “It feels so much better to be close to home.”​

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-back-to-maryland-now-hell-reunite-with-ucla/

11. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Winoman repped this.
  12. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gil was pretty good when he was like 19 playing for RSL. I think fitness and mentality are underrated qualities. Underrated simply because we can't see it behind the scenes. I remember reading a story Cristiano doing an extra hour of free kick practice just on his own after all the players went home. And I know from my own terrible soccer career how many super talented guys I saw get hurt and half ass rehab and just never recover to as good as they were not because they couldn't recover but they just didn't put the work in.

Not accusing Luis Gil of anything specific but based on what I saw at 18-19 there's no way he should be a MLS backup.

Pelosi at least you can blame a lot of on his leg injury.

13. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Junior might end up playing for El Salvador after all.

14. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Looking over the 95/96 U20 class, a number of those guys are still in college. Some, like Polley, Gasper and Reeves, have transferred. One who finished school and isn't a pro is Trevor Haberkorn, who was in the PDL this summer.

15. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I haven't given up on this player. Seems to be getting his career somewhat back on track..................

xbhaskarx, Winoman, TxEx and 2 others repped this.
  16. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oscar Sorto has been called up for El Salvador's friendly against Canada.

Real Corona repped this.
  17. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cap him now Bruce !!!

Gorky repped this.
  18. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    Bradford Jamieson has scored in two straight games for the Galaxy.

Feels like he's been around forever, but he's still just 20. He's only about 3 months older than Sebastian Saucedo. May turn into a good MLS player after all.

19. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    deejay repped this.
  20. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
  21. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eh 11 is relatively late but he still spent most of his soccer life in the states.

22. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think he ever got US citizenship, but I felt like sharing this because I just stumbled across him: Cristhian Hernandez is now with Tepic in the Mexican third tier.

23. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    When I think of him I think of JImmy McLaughlin as well.
    I saw Jimmy twice this season for Cincinnati and he looks like a kid capable of making the jump back to MLS.

24. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States