YNT post-mortem: U.S. players born '93-'96

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Mar 30, 2016.

1. Brotheryoungbuck

Jan 24, 2015
    parts unknown
    I'm sure he got a lawyer who was smart enough to know the assault charge was garbage. I'm sure he got something in the end but it was never going to be assault with a deadly weapon.

2. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    USL Orange County has signed Oscar Sorto, as well as a pair of young players from Cameroon out of the SIMA program.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  3. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Collin Martin's been getting minutes for MN this preseason -- went 90 against Portland yesterday in what appears to have been a five-man midfield. (So did Ismaila Jome, who is Gambian-born but I believe is also a citizen.)

Winoman repped this.
  4. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    USL Orange County added Vic Pineda to a roster that also includes Oscar Sorto and JP Ocegueda.

5. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They're getting the (2013 U-20) band back together!

Dave Marino-Nachison repped this.
  6. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999

Winoman repped this.
  7. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Sam Strong is now on trial with G2:

Four trialists were invited to participate in LA Galaxy II’s 3-0 preseason scrimmage win against Cal State Fullerton. Sam Strong, Kim Do Hyun, Myeong Jin Choi and Shin Dongwha all played 45 minutes in the second half. Kim Do Hyun scored for Los Dos with Shin Dongwha heavily involved in the buildup.

Strong, a trialist centerback from UC Santa Barbara who has featured for the U.S. U-23 Men’s National Team, made an additional appearance in the team’s preseason scrimmage against Club Tijuana on Feb. 15.
    http://www.lagalaxy.com/post/2017/0...-undiscovered-talent-los-angeles-open-tryouts

8. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Also mentioned were two LAG DA players- Jake Arteaga D ('00) had one of the goals; Zico Bailey ('00) had an assist. Also, Eric Lopez GK of Los Dos, is a '99.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  9. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's bad, but I think it's a partial sacrifice of the DP/allocation era in MLS. Ariel Lassiter, Jack McBean, Jalen Robinson, Justin Bilyeu, etc.; might be able to play. Look how late Sean Davis and Patty Mullins are emerging. DePuy and Dunk are hopes.

For under the radar overseas guys, I like Brendan Hines-Ike, who has started at Orebro from pretty much the outset. But it's not good overseas either.

10. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Even so, maybe it adds another two or three okay MLS players, but does that team really have more than 1 NT level player? Even if those players you name become good MLS players, I really just don't see much NT potential from that year. Morris is good, but besides him, maybe Hairston, maybe Vincent, maybe Bono? Everyone else probably doesn't have a NT level ceiling, at least thats my opinion.

11. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hines-Ike is versatile, has ball skills, is pretty mobile.
    For Dunk, it helps we always need fullbacks.
    DePuy is huge and pretty productive. We'll see.
    Jalen Robinson has talent. Maybe this is the year he breaks through with Boswell aging and Franklin maybe not the answer.
    Lassiter has talent too, but that ship sailed anyway.
    Vincent underachieved last year.

I'd bet it has a few nt level guys by the end. Time tends to shift the narrative somewhat. Look at the 2013 NBA draft. It was pegged as about the worst ever. Then it back doored Giannis, Gobert, McCollum, Schroder, and Adams. Porter, Zeller, Noel, Muhammad, Nogueira, Plumlee, Hardaway Jr., etc.; kind of came around. At the end it was just sort of mediocre and the production came from unconventional places. We shant jump the gun too much. All we shall say is that it will almost inevitably be underwhelming.

12. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I wonder if we have a development bottle neck for even birth years? The 2014 WC squad had 15 odd vs 8 even. The 1982s were our greatest year ever but since then when have we had a really good group from an even year?

13. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Yeah, it is pretty strange, but it just doesn't make sense that there would be any reason for it.

14. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Not necessarily any one reason. However, a series of reasons related to development path would do the trick. This is of course conjecture but it's my way of having fun.

Path A - teen prodigy (Adu, Agudelo, Altidore)
    1) U17 YNT
    2) Hyped by media
    3) Europe, GA or HGP by 18
    4) Stuck on the bench but still believes the hype. Upset, unbalanced.

Path B - relative late bloomer (Bradley, Yedlin, Morris)
    1) GA or HGP by 18
    2) Works hard to become a starter.
    3) U20 YNT
    4) Hyped by media
    5) Ready to get pro minutes. Satisfaction because of results from hard work.

U17 YNT favors even year recruits and as we know doesn't have a very high translation to NT success. U20 YNT favors odd year recruits and has a higher correlation to NT success.

Anyhoo, I think that the U18 and U19 setup plus USL clubs will make this less of a case later on.

15. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After 2015, Memo Rodriguez was bumped to a USL deal with RGVFC, but he is back on Houston's roster.

Jaime Villarreal signed a HG contract today after three years with Los Dos.

TxEx repped this.
  16. Brotheryoungbuck

Jan 24, 2015
    parts unknown
    Zack Steffen gets his first MLS start today, could be a big year for the kid.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  17. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #392 Clint Eastwood, Mar 5, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
    So did Cody Cropper. I watched that Revs-Rapids game, and he did a good job.
    Also nice to see Dillon Serna get back on the field as a substitute in that game. Hairston and Miller were also quite solid for Colorado.

Actually, a lot of the players in this particular age group got playing time yesterday from around the league.

For instance, the best two players on the field yesterday in the LA-Dallas game..........in my humble opinion:

Tommy Thompson got the start for San Jose, and by all accounts had a very nice game.

18. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tommy Thompson is allowed to start??

19. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kinnear must be really afraid of losing his gig.

20. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    By the way....................Nick Lima is example 9869826352 of a kid we never talked about as a youngster that looks like a pretty intruiging pro player. Pretty impressed with his play in his MLS debut. Capable of playing either fullback spot, but pretty good as a right back last night. Remember when we talked about a lack of depth at right back after Yedlin with this group? Eric Miller is playing well, and hopefully Nick Lima can push on after last night.

Peretz48 repped this.
  21. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    Both Lima and Thompson did very well. I'm really excited about Lima, he looks like he could be an outstanding player. I mean he essentially shut down Piatti last night. And as a former forward, he knows how to get forward and isn't afraid to take a shot.

TT has improved significantly since early last season and now looks like he fits in on an MLS field. I think he'll turn out to be at least a valuable MLS contributor. He seems to have a mental block in front of the net though. I hope he can fix that. He had two very good opportunities and put them both directly at the keeper. I think most know that is ball skills are very good. And he's learned how to body up and not get pushed off the ball as easily as he was last year. I think he's bulked up a bit.

22. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Nick Lima turns out to be a good player, it will be a big win for the awful 1994 age cohort.

ussoccer97531 and Brotheryoungbuck repped this.
  24. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Lima got more good reviews for his performance with SJ last night.

Watching this Old Firm game that Hyndman started. He didn't do much in the first 75 minutes, but was heavily involved in the equalizer just now. Hit a great strike at goal that was saved nicely by the keeper. Rebounded to another Rangers player (Hill) that knocked it home.

25. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    And then there's '94 LB Kip Colvey (a NZ player, however) -- but he didn't start. Did Francis just beat him out for the position?