YNT-Eligible Players in the MNT Pool

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Aug 28, 2019.

1. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cappis was in FC Dallas' academy for a hot second. Clint, you gotta let the Houston metro area take credit for this one. They need it.

BigBirdLenny and USSoccerNova repped this.
  2. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I'm tired of this anti-FCD garbage on this board.

What the hell did I say? I said "Chris Cappis was there." An actual effing fact.
    DId I say FCD developed him? No. Did I say FCD was solely responsible for his advancement? No. I said he was effing there. Did I say he sprouted from the earth in Dallas like a cabbage patch kid? No.

3. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Take it easy, Clint.

My comment was intended as having some fun at the expense of Houston’s poor developmental track record.

Tactical Hipster and USSoccerNova repped this.
  4. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    #54 Dave Marino-Nachison, Jan 12, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
    Never post before morning coffee -- or after Irish coffee, I always say. Of course, if your morning coffee is Irish, 1) I'm jealous and 2) you're on your own. ;)

Arantes and Winoman repped this.
  5. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cappis was there long enough for me to watch him play a game (it was part of a FCD doubleheader - I don't usually drive all the way to Frisco for youth games) and he was great. Not sure why Servania got added did someone get hurt? It does allow the US coaches to see Cappis and Servania at the same time. I've wondered myself who is better. They might both still be at FCD had not Houston thrown a tantrum. I'd say both are better than Hayes.

6. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I don't think there's any question both are better than Hayes.

Pegasus repped this.
  7. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The national team relocated from Florida to California ahead of the Costa Rica friendly.

The roster was also cut down to 22 players. JT Marcinkowski was sent back to San Jose. The remaining 13 Olympic (including 3 U-20) eligible players remain with the squad.

USSoccerNova and Winoman repped this.
  8. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Pl@ymaker and Winoman repped this.
  9. ckajMonet

ckajMonet Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 8, 2017
    Winoman repped this.
  10. ckajMonet

ckajMonet Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 8, 2017
    Arriola — Ferreira — Llanez

Lletget — Cappis
    Yueill

Vines — Glad — Long — Cannon

Johnson

what I’d like to see vs CR. Bring on Araujo and Aaronson in the 2nd half

11. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    So by my count, 26 YNT-eligible players have been capped by the USMNT after the Costa Rica game -

Pulisic, McKennie, Sargent, Cannon, Adams, Weah, Carter-Vickers, A. Robinson, Yueill, Lewis, Mihailovic, Dest, Amon, Palmer-Brown, M. Robinson, Aaronson, De La Torre, Ebobisse, Ferreira, Llanez, McKenzie, Olosunde, Parks, Pomykal, Servania and Vines.

Am I missing any one?

Peter Bonetti repped this.
  12. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    1316889961581449216 is not a valid tweet id

LouisZ and Winoman repped this.
  13. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    This line in the Wales announcement...

With the match falling on a fixture date, USMNT head coach Gregg Berhalter will have the opportunity to call in players based domestically and abroad.
    ... cools, at least a little, the speculation that this camp might be some kind of YNT-eligible Yanks Abroad free-for-all, but surely there will be be, if not some surprises, at least a few Europe-based Olympic-eligible players, on the roster for at least one of the games.

https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/20...v-channels-return-to-action-nov-21-in-swansea

We've seen @bshredder's stories about the possibility of Cajuste making some kind of appearance. Maybe some other young "reach" types show up? Who knows. Getting a second game set up would probably help.

ussoccer97531 and dougtee repped this.
  14. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Winoman repped this.
  15. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Winoman repped this.
  16. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I, like many others I assume, follow a variety of soccer journalists/writers and when rosters get released or other big things happen they all put out stories. I just wish some of them would take a different view or unique take. Its a quick review, couple of quotes and that's about it.

TarHeels17 repped this.
  17. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where the heck is the 2020 salary guide

18. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    What I noted right away is that only 3 players on the roster spent any time in the NCAAs. Steffen, Cannon and Ream. I don't feel like doing the homework to figure it out, but I wonder where that ranks in modern US soccer history.

19. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
  20. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--

Musah said in a recent interview when asked if he's English, American or Italian that he's Ghanaian. It might be that he's not close to Ghanaian citizenship. I don't know the parameters around that, but if he knows Ghana isn't an option anytime soon and thats the country he would've wanted to play for, this could benefit us.

I don't think it's ever been made clear anywhere that the reason he was playing for England initially was because he wanted to play for them as opposed to that they were likely the first country to call him in, and give him YNT camps. If he's indifferent to England/USA/Italy, and we give him the best recruiting offer, he may choose to play for us.

21. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    In case folks didn't see this elsewhere.

22. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    :D

Dave Marino-Nachison repped this.
  23. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    LOL. That is some serious cherry-picking given the rest of my quote -- but, I'm a sporting fellow. Feel free to apply through the usual BigSoccer channels for a full refund. ;)

(Though I admit my original post wasn't super-clear, which probably doesn't "count" retroactively. I was thinking more about pool expansion -- we got 2 new guys out of 24, which isn't a ton, though they certainly could turn out to be consequential ones -- than just dual-eligible callups.)

24. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Counting Musah, we've now seen six players emerge in the last five years (since 2016) that play a regular role for perennial UCL/Europa League teams in the top five leagues or among the best perennial UCL/Europa League teams not in those leagues (the top 4-5 in France, top 3 in Portugal, top 2 in Netherlands, Salzburg, Shakhtar, Zenit).

A National Team player pool typically has players spanning about 15 years (usually around 18-33). Occasionally, you see players slightly older or younger, but it's not often, and it's rarely more than 1 or 2. If we take the 6 in 5 years we've added in the last 5 years, and span that to about 15 years (when Pulisic, McKennie and co. are towards the end of their career), thats 18 players in that 15 year span if we only keep that same pace.

Thats right in line with what you usually see (it varies a little from year to year) from countries like Belgium, Croatia, Uruguay, Colombia, and even Portugal, who has slightly more due to domestic teams in that tier, but otherwise is very similar. Those countries are right on the fringe of what many consider to be the elite tier (Spain, France, Germany, Brazil, Argentina, Italy, England, Netherlands), and these countries are good enough to compete for major international trophies. In some instances, they might even win one.

We will need to continue adding players to that top group of players (Pulisic, McKennie, Adams, Dest, Reyna, and potentially Musah), but we have some good candidates that could be added for 2021 (Richards, KDLF, Ledezma, Aaronson, Weah, etc.). It's also worth mentioning that we have the back up goalkeeper for a top five team in the world that isn't being counted to this total because he's not a current YNT player, despite keepers being able to play about a cycle past field players.

We probably will not see the full potential of the National Team until Pulisic's generation is towards the end of their careers, but if we can maintain this same pace, we should be able to elevate to that Belgium, Portugal, Croatia, Uruguay, Colombia tier. If we can improve on 6 in 5 years, it's possible we can elevate to that top tier in that 15 year span.

Some might suggest that I am unfairly counting Dest and Musah, two players not produced by the US system, but does it matter which system produced them? The USMNT probably has access to a bigger pool of dual-nationals not raised in the USA than any other country in the world. There's no reason to think that won't continue, so its not a fluke that we were able to pull in Dest and Musah, who were not developed and raised in the USA.

deejay and USSoccerNova repped this.
  25. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    It's not a fluke that guys like this exist, but it is probably essentially a fluke that they both exist AND perform at a level that is useful to a national team program that competes at what might be generally called a World Cup level. Here's to flukes!