YNT-Eligible Players in the MNT Pool

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Aug 28, 2019.

1. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    Sorry, but this is funny to me.

butters59 repped this.
  2. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But why? You don't think that playing with Pulisic, Sargent, McKennie, etc will be eye opening to him? He's really only played with guys from the Union (not a lot of impressive players, even if the results have been good this year) and has very little YNT experience. Experience with players more accustomed to a higher level is invaluable.

3. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    I get what you are saying, but it just sounds funny to say that a player in MLS will experience some sort of enlightenment just because he is playing with players who are based in Europe.

TarHeels17 repped this.
  4. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    And he’s gone, IMO. I hope I’m wrong and some will spin this as him needing more time to decide, but I don’t think he needs more time to decide. I think this is something you’d have a pretty quick decision for after hearing what both sides have to offer. It’s not as if he hasn’t had the chance to think about this in the past, as well.

5. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
  6. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles

USSoccerNova and TarHeels17 repped this.
  7. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    If I'm Berhalter, I might extend a U23 invitation to Dest just to say "Hey, I know you don't want to do anything that commits you for life right now, but we appreciate you and we want you with us and your friends in the YNT setup would love to see you." And maybe his U20 pals could send him a training top or whatever from camp with a bunch of friendly messages. Of course, none of it could matter.

Winoman, TxEx and USSoccerNova repped this.
  8. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    My guess is that he "turned down" the Dutch call up because it wasn't with the senior team. He turned down the US call up so that he still has the Dutch option. It's not so much about him still making a decision, but about how soon Holland will bring him in as a full international player. It seems clear that that is his goal, unfortunately, no matter how much the US is willing to build around him or how good our young talent is or how much opportunity there is for endorsements and other things leading up to hosting.

9. Peter Bonetti

Peter Bonetti Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    1970 WC Quarterfinal
    This is a good idea but regardless, Berhalter has done a good job presenting the US as a competitive option for Dest. This is one of those cases where you do what you can and let the factors that you don’t control run their course. I am critical when I don’t think people have acted competently, but this isn’t one of those cases at all. The US reacted well. There are just factors beyond our control.

I like your idea, although we may be past that making a difference in the final decision.

10. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    I certainly wasn't suggesting that I have the idea that will fix everything!

11. Peter Bonetti

Peter Bonetti Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    1970 WC Quarterfinal
    Those are the kind of “throw away” ideas that sometimes make the final difference!

You never know. Sergino could see an offer like this and be moved that US Soccer acted in his best interest without trying to pressure him while Holland are treating him like he is lucky he is being considered.

12. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Shrug. He's 18. We all thought this was the likely outcome during this window.

We've been aggressive with Dest. From the U17s, to the U20s, and then calling him up quickly to the USMNT. If he walks away, I still like we've done what we can.

13. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I'd hope so, but I don't buy it. he couldn't play for the Netherlands this international window anyway. I think he's decided for the Netherlands.

14. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    After the other night I think you may be right.

15. Kombucha

Kombucha Member+

Jul 1, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    It is a tough hill to overcome for the US.

It is like UNLV stealing a QB that was born and raised in the state of Alabama away from the Crimson Tide after they come in with a late offer.

They only draw for UNLV is that you are definitely going to get to play in some games while playing time at Alabama is not guaranteed and that UNLV was showing you love from the start, but every thing else is in Alabama favor. You grew-up a fan, all your friends and teammates are fans, it is close to home, it is relevant program nationally and you have a chance to win at the highest level.

Winoman repped this.
  16. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    If Dest's first choice was the USMNT, then this whole thing would be over already........................

What we've said over and over about this case is true, though. We've done what we can. We've recruited him early, made him an important component of our U17 and U20 teams, and aggressively called him to our USMNT.

If he chooses Holland at this point, then at least we walk away feeling like we did everything we could. We can't put a gun to his head.

Kombucha and Winoman repped this.
  17. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    This quote highlighted by @zlebmada from Dest crystallized something that was bouncing around in my head -- but far more effectively, because it comes from a player:

It seems pretty clear that the best young guys in the program -- especially the guys who went to Europe and beat France with the U20s -- talk a lot, and think that whatever the state of the program, who is running it, etc., they got this in hand, and they are going to win places and win games together.

That may or may not be a vote or confidence in Gregg or Earnie or whoever, but it sure seems like a vote of confidence in themselves.

It also, just maybe, makes me less likely to think that these guys are itching to jump ship to other countries for which they might qualify -- kind of an "All for one, one for all" type thing.

That's probably a bit too earnest in 2019 world soccer. But it will make for a heck of a storyline if it all pans out.

18. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
  19. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Sometimes we lose sight of how young Sargent still is...............
    1196971447060717570 is not a valid tweet id

20. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    Usa coach 2040

TCS35 repped this.
  21. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Worth reviewing how Dest got into the US program, and give credit where credit is due.

22. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    McKennie (formerly of FC Dallas) and Pulisic nominated for USMNT Player of the Year.

The US Young Player of the Year nominees are also out.

May I have the envelope please:

Paxton Pomykal (FC Dallas)
    Ricard Pepi (FC Dallas)
    Chris Richards (Bayern Munich-formerly of FC Dallas)
    Sergino Dest (Ajax)
    Gianluca Busio (SKC)
    Gio Reyna (Dortumnd-formerly of NYCFC)

I suspect that Sergino Dest will win this in a landslide, but it probably depends on when the ballots were cast :). I won't be shocked if Pomykal thus wins it.

23. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    #48 Dave Marino-Nachison, Dec 30, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
    Here's (what I hope is) an updated rundown of all Berhalter MNT callups that's current through the latest group. (Corrections, etc., are of course welcome.)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/17xb1g8Jd2bWrXU4g3fXX1aC4A3EQcKYir1ZtHXXGoT8/edit?usp=sharing

Lots of YNT relevance with the latest callups, of course. A note that might get overlooked is the "upgrade" of Marcinkowski to a full MNT callup; he'd received a training invite before, I believe. Does that mean he's the front-runner for the U23s? I dunno, maybe.

I now have Berhalter as calling up 67 guys so far, not counting those training invites from the summer. Of those, 22 are '97s or younger.

Of course, this data I suppose doesn't tell the entire story about how Berhalter sees his pool. Rob Usry tweeted that Atlanta denied a recent callup to Brooks Lennon, which would've been his first I believe.

Surely there are several guys Berhalter likes to various degrees but hasn't had as often as he'd like, or at all, for a range of reasons. And of course, those situations create openings for other players.

Winoman repped this.
  24. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #49 Clint Eastwood, Jan 2, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
    When you're the 5th largest metro area in the US, and you're just on your 3rd USMNT callup. Oh Houston....................so cute. Dallas has that number in just the January camp (if we count Ferreira, who's lived there since he was 9. Added to Cannon and Pax. Add to 5 other DFW natives with USMNT callups the past year).

Luksarus repped this.
  25. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    You're welcome America...…………
    [Brandon joins Jesus Ferreira, Paxton Pomykal, and Reggie Cannon at January camp. Don't forget Chris Cappis is there as well. Also, by the way, Walker Zimmerman who they drafted as a teen.]