YNT-Eligible Players: 2019 US Open Cup

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Luksarus, May 8, 2019.

1. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Luksarus and Peter Bonetti repped this.
  2. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Nice, but NMU came back with two in the 2nd half to shock FC Dallas, 2-1.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  3. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Peter Bonetti repped this.
  4. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Keaton parks got an assist. Was very impressive tonight (only watched 1 half).

5. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #55 Clint Eastwood, Jun 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
    By the way, the first goal for NM was a result of a terrible back pass by Bryan Reynolds.

From all accounts the performance with the kids in the first half was "flat." The one bright spot was Brandon Servania's first FCD goal.

Luchi brought on the veterans, and FCD piled on the pressure in the 2nd half. But NM held on, and are justifiably going thru.

Its a bummer in that the youngsters like Reynolds will now have fewer first team opportunities.

TheFalseNine repped this.
  6. Tactical Hipster

Dec 23, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah the whole team looked pretty stagnant. Pepi didn't play particularly well, but he just looked so tired. I thought the Servania-Cerrillo partnership looked pretty good overall. Reynolds at least tried some stuff, but it's clear his defense is not ready for MLS opponents. FCD looked much better when Pomykal came on, but I think it's really because of his ball security and the whole team pushing forward. I didn't really get great looks or strong impressions from Roberts or Ferreira yesterday.

I wouldn't read too much into that performance since everyone looked tired and flat though.

WheezingUSASupport repped this.
  7. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I don’t think Pepi is ready to play yet for the first team. He’s only 16 years old. Very occasionally is there a player who can show well on a consistent basis at that age.

Pegasus repped this.
  8. Runhard

Runhard Member+

Barcelona
    United States
    Jul 5, 2018
    I agree here and don't think they should rush him even though he is doing well at USL. If he gets to the first team and fails, can't score and has no impact, it won't be long before the calls of Freddy Adu start to show up. Leave him on the USL team and let him tear up the league for a year or two.

9. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I think Luchi starting Pepi when he had Ondrasak available is pretty telling, though.
    Talk about disappointing signings.....................

With FCD crashing out of the USOC, I don't think we'll see him with the first team the rest of the year. [Even if he signs an MLS deal, they'll just loan him to the USL team.] If you'd told me at the start of the season that 16 year old Pepi would have multiple starts for the first team, I don't think I'd have believed you. So just a taste for Pepi, and that's great. Kudos to Luchi for providing him with it.

The best performance from a young DFW kid yesterday in the USOC was Keaton Parks :)

LouisZ and TheFalseNine repped this.
  10. Runhard

Runhard Member+

Barcelona
    United States
    Jul 5, 2018
    It's a hard situation for sure. If the first team starts to tank and can't score goals and you have a 16 year old winning the golden boot in the USL, there will be calls for him to play on the first team. Problem for FCD is you can't move everyone up to the first team so quickly and at some point there will be a logjam. Then you have to start giving guys like Jesus and Thomas a much shorter leash to make room for the guys pushing them out (pepi and David R. etc). Good luck to Luchi figuring that out and trying to get wins to keep the fans happy.

Pretty rough on social media for FCD and Luchi after game yesterday.

11. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually thought they looked OK and controlled much of the match. Their difference maker Barrios didn't seem to be "on" yesterday. He's bailed them out all year but just didn't have that bit extra he usually does. Could have been the heat - it was like 96 and was the first really hot day.

12. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After watching him against men the last two weeks I'd agree he's not ready. I actually think he would be OK but I think he's better than OK and it might hinder him long term. He looks like he will be really good in a few years but he's not used to getting banged by men as big or bigger than he is.

13. Tactical Hipster

Dec 23, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I figured the heat played a part. Yeah Barrios tried to make plays a lot, but I think New Mexico knew to just blanket him. I mean yeah they looked OK, really the main impression I came away with was that New Mexico actually looked pretty dang good. I would've hoped that Fereira could've made some plays but he seems to be better as a forward rather than that second forward or attacking mid he played yesterday. But idk, I don't want to read much into that one game.

14. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    It definitely takes time getting used to being banged by men as big, or bigger than yourself.

15. Kombucha

Kombucha Member+

Jul 1, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    Playing Pepi could also be a negotiating ploy or part of the contract sort of gown Durkin signed with DCU and starred in US Open Cup the next week and then didn’t appear for DCU again for 2 years.

Wouldn’t mind seeing a loan to El Paso in USLC. A little more of a test, but not sure NT/FCD can spare him.

16. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Rough on Luchi AND Dan Hunt. I think it is worth mentioning that New Mexico is one of the better teams in the USL. 3rd in the West out of 18 teams. If you don't bring your "A" game against a team like that, then you can lose.

We on this board understand what they are trying to do by building thru the academy and local players.

But there's a large part of the casual soccer fanbase in DFW that incessantly bleats on about the franchise not signing a big name foreign player like Carlos Vela. They don't understand that if you're going to build with youth, then you have to build with youth. You have to give the kids chances to learn and grow. And when you have kids you think might be "elite" prospects (like Pepi and Thomas) you have to give them even more opportunities as you want them to sign on longer term.

As hard is it is to say, you have to give the kids opportunities to fail.

And what better game to give kids an opportunity in than a midweek game against New Mexico in the USOC?

I personally think we're going to see Jesus being given a break soon. We can start Aranguiz (or Mosquera when he returns from injury) on the wing, and move Badji up top. Or give Cobra a start or two. He was out of position in this game, but he also looks pretty tired to me.

Pegasus repped this.
  17. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's not a #10 but he has enough skill to play one at times like this game. He would improve if he played it regularly but his biggest asset is his quick runs and finishing in the box. He uses the #10ish skills to make a nice pass to set up his run (if the player he passed to is any good).

18. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    If we're going to play formations with a #10..............then all of Pomykal, Roberts, Aranguiz, and Mosquera are better choices than Ferreira. Just my opinion.

I understand why Ferreira was needed in that position for this game against New Mexico, but it should be a short term experiment based on unusual circumstances.

19. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I wonder what it would cost Dallas to get Carlton from Atlanta? An honest to god 10 who can unlock bunkered defenses. Put him in front of Pax and Acosta and see if that helps their anemic offense.

20. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A really good forward would help the most. Ferreira is their best one right now but I'm not sure he's the answer against every team. He's kind of a David Villa - Chicharito type without experience.

21. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    acosta-paxton-carleton would be a very tab ramos-y midfield

22. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    #72 TxEx, Jun 21, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
    I'd almost want to cheat with Pax and Carleton switching runs at LW and bringing in another midfielder like Servania or Cerillo to sit deep and protect the defense. Not sure either them as a false LW is ideal but at this point what they're doing isn't working. Perhaps Aranguiz or Mosquera can finally step up over there but I'm skeptical at this point.

23. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Pepi touched the ball like twice the entire OC game. They could buy the best striker in the world but it won't matter if they never receive the ball in the box.

Don't get me wrong, they still need a #9 upgrade but a #10 or a true 4-3-3 with better wingers seems more likely at this point.

Pegasus repped this.
  24. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    A better, more experienced striker would have found the way to get the ball.

25. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Sure but not every striker is Harry Kane who can carry the ball up the pitch and create his own shot.