YNT-Eligible Players: 2018 US Open Cup

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by TarHeels17, May 31, 2018.

1. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's still MLS this weekend, but hey, what's BigSoccer if you're not looking excessively into the future?

With the Open Cup kicking off next week, this will be a fun time to watch the TEs that don't typically play on a really bad and unreliable streaming service! Here's my preview of all the games and the possible appearances for uncommonly seen youngsters.

6/5:
    Philly
    vs Richmond:
    Trusty and McKenzie already seem like week in, week out starters for the Union at this point, so that leaves Real, Fontana, and good ol' Derrick Jones. I'd be surprised if any of them don't play, and I'll probably watch this game over the others out of interest if anyone has progressed out of those three, especially since I haven't seen Jones in a while.

DC vs NCFC (7 pm EST):
    If I wanted to watch Durkin, I'd watch MLS.

Louisville vs New England:
    Isaac Angking, I guess? I mean, he has to play somewhere. If he's really good enough to warrant a homegrown contract, he should've been loaned to a USL team by now. Can't just play academy games until you're 24.

6/6:
    Columbus
    vs Chicago:
    WIth Mihailovic still out, this game is a classic installment of wait, there are Americans under the age of 21? From this boards perspective, Columbus -> Austin is probably a good thing.

RBNY vs NYCFC:
    I'm guessing Mines and Redding get in this one. Still a shame about Duncan. Lewis and Sands are likely as well, and I haven't seen Sands in a while, so that could be interesting. Unlikely, but a Scally debut could happen as well.

Miami vs Orlando:
    Lindley and Da Silva presumably return. Maybe now that Da Silva scored 3 goals and had 7 assists in USL last year, he'll get 90 minutes in the Open Cup instead of 45.

Atlanta vs Charleston:
    Robinson, Vazquez, Kunga, Goslin, Carleton, and Bello are all possible. I'd bet on 3 or 4 of them starting and a debut for Bello.

Cincinnati vs Minnesota:
    Toye should start.

Nashville vs Colorado:
    Nothing to see here, but of course it's better that Vines is playing in USL and not waiting for 1 open cup game a year.

Houston vs NTX Rayados:
    Kills me that the oldest roster in MLS is in Texas. Kills me.

San Antonio vs Dallas:
    Paxton has to start, and Ferreira and Servania could get heavy minutes, too. I'm not sure if Richards is eligible. Reynolds could get a debut, too, I guess.

RSL vs Kansas City:
    An extended run out for Herrera would be new, but aside from that, RSL is too good at moving their guys along for this game to be interesting for them.

However, SKC could be fun. Their new generation of homegrowns could all feature (Kamal, Lindsey, Busio). I'd expect Lindsey to start, and Kamal probably will, too. On top of that, given Busio's surprisingly heavy usage at Swope, it wouldn't be weird for him to get some good time.

LAFC vs Fresno:
    They have James Murphy and Shaft, but I doubt either start.

Galaxy vs FC Golden State:
    Get Vom Steeg a first start. Arellano could probably play, too. However, does anyone know if Efra can play?

Portland vs San Jose:
    I think Ebobisse is hurt, but Williamson and Farfan should start no matter what.

Yueill of course should start, and Marcinkowski should get his first, too. I wish Calvillo wasn't hurt because I haven't seen him play in years, and I think San Jose considers Akanyirige and Fuentes too young. Next year.

Sacramento vs Seattle:
    Bwana isn't even eligible yet, but he should start.

That's it for this round. On top of that, there are a few players I'd like to point out that, in my opinion, should be signed to first team contracts and playing in these games, and yet aren't. These players are:
    -Gio Reyna
    -Marcelo Palomino
    -Uly Llanez
    -Alex Mendez
    -Sam Rogers

And if I had to guess, only two of those (Rogers and Palomino) are the fault of the clubs, so it's no big deal, but I do wonder why Rogers hasn't gotten a homegrown contract yet.

Sombrerito, autobus39, KUSA77 and 2 others repped this.
  2. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Also need to point out that several of the USL teams still in the USOC have YNT-eligible players. Anyone know about the amateur teams remaining?

3. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's my best guess about all of the non-MLS teams:

USL:
    Sacramento:

They have Roberto Hategan, an '01 YNTer, who started in their second round game against a PDL team.

Otherwise, they have one of the best non MLS academies in the country, and few other guys who have made the bench in USL this year ('00 Mark McEntosh and '01 Quincy Butler), and 3 others on academy contracts ('00s Martinez and Garibay, and '99 Zepeda) but no USL appearances makes it unlikely we see any of them against Seattle. The club itself is going to want to destroy every MLS club it comes across, so youth players seem unlikely.

Fresno:
    '99 Canadian-American Noah Verhoeven has over 500 minutes for Fresno in the USL this year, but he's currently with Canada's Olympic team.

Alternatively, '98 Canadian-American Terran Campbell has some USL minutes, and also started at LWB in their third round game vs UPSL side Sporting AZ FC, which sounds like a really bad name until you realize they play in Arizona, and then it's only pretty bad. Anyways, there's a small chance he plays vs LAFC given the step up in opponent level.

San Antonio:
    SAFC went out and gave '01 midfielder Ethan Bryant his debut at left wing against the Switchbacks in the third round, whose clips @zlebmada graciously cut up here:

And you can read a few articles about him from back when he signed in February, here:
    https://therivardreport.com/straight-a-homeschooler-lands-on-pro-soccer-team-at-16/
    https://www.sanantoniofc.com/news_article/show/886933

They also have '98 Connor Presley who has played 266 minutes at right wing for them in USL, but has not been in the squad since April 28th.

Charleston:

Charleston has two players everyone on here probably knows of, including Victor Mansaray (I know, right?). I don't think he was ever cap-tied to the US and thus a one time switch to Sierra Leone wasn't necessary, so he's still technically an American.

The other guy is Patrick Okonkwo, although I'd be surprised if he plays against his parent club, Atlanta.

Richmond:
    Richmond have '99 Sam Bacon and '00 Kent Dickey on academy contracts, but neither played in either of their previous two open cup games, or all year during USL.

NCFC:

'97 DJ Taylor is a pretty key player for the team, and '99 Nelson Blanco got his debut in an 11 minute cameo vs their second round opponent, Lansdowne Bhoys FC. They also have future Clemson keeper and '99 George Marks on an academy contract, but he hasn't played at all.

To my knowledge, none of Nashville, Louisville, or Cincinnati have an academy player on their roster.

Amateur:
    As for FC Golden State Force (PDL), NTX Rayados (North Texas Premier Soccer League), Miami United (NPSL), they're amateur teams. FCGS's roster has no birthdays, Miami United has one '98 from Venezula, and Rayados isn't on the internet.

4. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Soccerway claims that FC Golden State's Tyler Allen is a 98. The birthday they list is the same as a guy on UNLV. So it could be him, or Soccerway may have made a mistake and jumped to conclusions - there seem to be other soccer-playing Tyler Allens out there too.

autobus39 and TarHeels17 repped this.
  5. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NTX Rayados have a couple of FC Dallas prospects who are now in the NCAA: Giovanni Montesdeoca (98/UNC) and Adrian Ramos (98/Ohio State).

There may be some others too but I didn't dig too deeply for DOBs.

autobus39 repped this.
  6. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Weird, I always thought the plural was "Tylers Allen."

Winoman and TheFalseNine repped this.
  7. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    That NTX Rayados roster is pretty insane for a team that plays in a North Texas amateur league.

Their goalkeeper is Eduardo Cortez. Former FCD academy player that was on the first team roster last season. There are a group of former FCD academy types, and guys known to the DFW soccer community.

Yes, its an amateur team. But when you see Jose Burciaga of the gameday roster, you're like WOW. He was an MLS Best XI while playing for Kansas City. He was a key member of U20 and U23 teams. That's amateur............but also not amateur. They have enough talent to cause a surprise if Houston plays a B team.

FOrt Worth Vaqueros of the NPSL (who are out of the USOC) also have a bunch of former FCD academy/USYNT types. Bobby Edet, Marco Ortiz, Nick ROchowski, etc.

TCS35 repped this.
  8. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chris Durkin starts for D.C. United and D.J. Taylor for North Carolina
    Stream

Mark McKenzie, Matthew Real, Anthony Fontana, and Derrick Jones all start for Philadelphia. Austin Trusty is on the bench.
    Stream

Links to all of the streams this round

Winoman repped this.
  9. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Can anyone get the Philly game to load or is it just me?

10. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is not just you. The Union had a tweet up apologizing for the stream not working, but they took it down for some reason.

11. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1004149346114396166 is not a valid tweet id

1004152926397517825 is not a valid tweet id

Anderson11 and ielag repped this.
  12. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sandon Mibut repped this.
  13. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #13 autobus39, Jun 5, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
    Derrick Jones was credited with an assist on Philly's 5th goal in their 5-0 win. Trusty came on for Fontana in the 83rd.

DC won on penalties after being tied 1-1 through extra time. Durkin played 72 minutes.

Winoman repped this.
  14. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not so much the market as an owner who has been angling for a move out of Ohio for the past 2 years and has invested basically nothing into the academy since the beginning. If the team moves to Austin you won't see anything different. It's not a player problem but rather a cheap ass owner problem.

ussoccer97531 and ielag repped this.
  15. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #15 Clint Eastwood, Jun 6, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
    Interesting. Won't surprise me if homegrown Jordan Cano starts with one of Hedges/Ziegler. Richards on the bench?

Paxton is talking like he expects to be in this game.

FCD/San Antonio game should be streamed.

USSoccerNova and TxEx repped this.
  16. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    #16 ussoccer97531, Jun 6, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
    Somehow, Carleton gets a start.

Robinson and Vazquez also start. Goslin on the bench.

Nothing from Chicago-Columbus.

Near full-strength Minnesota side, so Toye only makes the bench.

Nothing from Orlando.

Nothing from NYRB. Lewis starts for NYCFC, Sands and Scally on the bench.

17. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just my opinion, but why RBNY going with that lineup is pretty confusing, Orlando not playing Lindley or Da Silva is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever seen. They're not on loan, you can see them with the team in pictures.

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  19. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, sorry if anyone doesn't like Carleton spam, but this thread is about to become a Carleton-only zone.

From the start, it looks like Carleton is playing on the left of the midfield in a 4-3-3, which is my favorite position for him. Expecting a good time.

20. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Notes so far:

Barco is crazy.

Carleton has 3 really bad giveaways.

21. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOALLLL CARLETON

TheFalseNine repped this.
  22. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Carleton just scored a great goal. Ripped a shot from 20-25 into the net.

bballshawn repped this.
  23. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Carleton with the goal

Crazy confidence with that one

bballshawn repped this.
  24. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Best part is he had been absolutely atrocious up until that point. I was thinking that if he continued playing like he was, he was going to get subbed out at halftime.

25. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Yeah he was choking a bit until then but he got the ball in one of his best spots