YNT-eligible NASL/USL players -- 2017 In-season thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Minutes leaders:

810 - Lamar Batista '98, T2
    720 - *Samual Rogers '99, S2
    644 - Augustine Williams '97, T2
    608 - Pierre da Silva '98, OCB
    597 - Ethan Zubak '98, LAG II
    540 - Hugo Arellano '98, LAG II
    540 - Auston Trusty '98, Bethlehem
    444 - Jackson Yueill '97, Reno
    429 - Adrian Vera '97, LAG II
    426 - Shandon Hopeau '98, S2
    405 - Erik Palmer-Brown '97, SPR
    381 - *Ian Lonergan '99, LAG II
    364 - *Alex Juarez '98, LAG II
    359 - *Blake Bodily '98, T2
    322 - Abuchi Obinwa '97, Pittsburgh
    295 - Ryley Kraft '98, OCB
    293 - Collin Fernandez '97, Tulsa
    270 - Chris Durkin '00, Richmond
    270 - Marco Farfan '98, T2
    270 - Robert Castellanos '98, LAG II
    270 - Mark McKenzie '99, Bethlehem
    245 - Felipe Hernandez '98, SPR
    242 - Harold Hanson '99, T2
    226 - *Kevin O'Toole '98, NYRB II
    224 - Lorenzo Ramos '97, S2
    220 - Amirgy Pineda '97, Orange County
    208 - Coy Craft '97, OKC
    180 - Jeremy Ebobisse '97, T2
    180 - Bennett Sneddon '97, LAG II
    177 - Devin Vega '98, San Antonio
    175 - Victor Mansaray '97, Cincinnati
    165 - *Wan Kuzain Wan Kamal '98, SPR
    159 - *Jorge Hernandez '00, LAG II
    125 - *Jacob Montes '98, T2
    104 - Ben Swanson '97, Pittsburgh

Plus another 19 guys between 0 and 100 minutes.

2. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    The Gals lost 3-0 to the Monarchs. In keeping with the 1st team's trending Los Dos are in last place in the West. It's nice that they're giving time to youngsters, but unfortunately I see many of these players as having a USL ceiling. I guess Galaxy management is hoping that some of them will actually develop into MLS level players. I've mentioned elsewhere that the LAG DA has far too many players that show soccer ability and instincts early on but have limited ceilings, mainly due to lack of size, quickness and athleticism.

A prime example is Jose Villarreal. When I watched him as a U18 DA player he was clearly the one player on that team that was most pro ready. However, he was physically maxed out, and has done very little since.

Tom Collingsworth and Balerion repped this.
  3. C-Rob

C-Rob Member

May 31, 2000
    Of the 35 players on this list, LAG II has 8 and T2 has 7. Between them, that is 43% of the total. No surprise that those two teams are in the cellar of the USL Western Conference.

Ideally these two teams---given their choices on how to stock their USL teams---would be D3, but the soccer landscape in the US is not quite ready for that yet.

Peter Bonetti repped this.
  4. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whoops - I transposed the Portland 2 score last from Wed onto the LA game.

5. Kombucha

Kombucha Member+

Jul 1, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    I saw an blog earlier this year lamenting RBII for not going for a more prospect heavy approach last year despite winning the Shield/Cup. RBII has basically had a lot of younger USL retreads who the team hoped would turn into the next Christian Ramirez type, but basically all just turned into USL players. They also had their draft picks, but was light on prospects. Some truth to that argument although RBII played a decent amount of prospect compared to other MLS teams. They just don't sign them.

The other end of the spectrum is teams like Los Dos and T2 who are primarily just playing a lot of prospects in hopes that a couple of the players swim and become MLS players, but the other side of that coin is you are playing lots of players who likely won't even amount to USL players, so you end up taking a lot of beatings. Debatable that getting beat 0-4 and 0-3 is really good for development long-term.

Right now you got the Monarchs with older guys that have played in MLS like Chandler Hoffman and Sebastian Velasquez that going against a defense comprised basically entirely of HS prospects. Turns into a beating quickly and doesn't allow the attacking unit to really get any good reps either. Probably not the best mix.

Mahtzo1 repped this.
  6. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    Perhaps the Galaxy should have a Los Tres also. They are one of the teams that has traditionally spent big in every aspect senior team and academy. Why not a D2 and D3 team?

7. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Because there isn't currently a D3?

;)

First teams aside, right now the model seems to be heading toward a fully professional second squad for MLS teams. That team obviously has many mandates, not all of which include development. So how do you fix this? You could:
    -- add another professional team (which I guess would have to go in whatever professional third division might arise, but could also potentially go in the PDL or NPSL, keeping NCAA complications in mind); the benefits are obvious, I guess, but seems like a big ask financially
    -- add an amateur "post-academy" team (could be PDL, NPSL or something else; NCAA regulations would perhaps come into play and the HG rules might need to be changed for this to make sense, though I know some teams already do this)
    -- affiliations
    -- other stuff I can't think of right now

To me, a combination of affiliations and some kind of post-academy setup makes the most sense (in addition to second teams).

xbhaskarx and Winoman repped this.
  8. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't be surprised if Real Monarchs start integrating a few more youngsters when their academy makes the move back to UT from AZ. Right now there's a big geographic disconnect that keeps the two entities separate.

9. Kombucha

Kombucha Member+

Jul 1, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    Right now that model doesn't exist, so you are forced to do one or the other or a hybrid.

Long-term I think the optimal pyramid is:

Div 1 - MLS
    Div 2 - MLS affiliated team in a separate market with separate owners
    Div 3 - MLS owned U20 Developmental team.

I envision it like the set-up in Germany. U20 is your top prospects by and large and the wholly owned by the MLS team. Your developmental emphasis goes into those clubs. The best players will simple skip straight to MLS from the U20s. The prospects that need a little seasoning would be loaned to your Div 2 affiliate team. The rest of Div 2 would be younger players and career journeymen chasing a dream and a paycheck. Those salaries would be paid for by the local owner. NASL would role into Div 2.

10. Kombucha

Kombucha Member+

Jul 1, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    You are probably right.

They have a handful of prospects that could play on a USL level for sure down in AZ. Their talent pipeline is Top 3rd in MLS for sure, which is surprising for a market like Salt Lake, but a testament to their approach and scouting.

11. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    A number of Galaxy players seem to be caught at the wrong level. A number of the LAGII players should be in division 3, but on the other side, there are a number of young players who are providing depth for the senior team which results in them sitting on the bench too much.

I do have to say that I'm disappointed with the young players at LAGII in the same way as Peretz48. I think of it as we have a team full of "A-" prospects who can dominate the local youth teams full of B players, but we're not generating enough A and A+ players who can make it to the next level.

But the other thing I wonder is if Munoz is having trouble coaching. It's one thing to play well with dominant players but it's another thing to perform well when you're an underdog.

12. youth=glory

youth=glory Member

Sep 2, 2010
    Is it just a temporary choice though? If I remember correctly, G2 was a pretty good team last year. They also had a much better ratio of vets and youth. In my head, ideally the team is (starting) about 3-4 vets, 3-4 college age prospects, then sprinkled in academy players as deserved.

Wasn't Etienne on that team last year? Allen? And Adams?

13. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saint Louis FC gave a debut last night to Aedan Stanley, a '99 amateur academy player, who started at left back.

Some independent clubs like Saint Louis, Charleston, and Richmond are in the habit of signing academy kids to amateur contracts, but it's unusual for them to get any playing time.

14. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
  15. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    In the Los Dos 2-1 win over NYRB2 the assist on the winning goal was done by Jorge Hernandez, an '00 member of the LAG DA U16 team. However, his DA page lists his nationality as Mexico, so he may not be eligible for U.S. YNTs.

16. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Might be the same guy who was part of the Futures camp in 2015, though he was linked to CUSA at the time.

http://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2015/05/20/14/59/150520-u14bnt-futures-camp-roster-release

17. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Dave Marino-Nachison repped this.
  18. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Los Dos

I saw that they just brought back Alejandro Covarrubias from OKC Energy. He's not a player who you'd expect can graduate to the MLS team, but perhaps is a guy who is viewed as a known quantity and stabilizing USL veteran among all the younger kids.

19. Kombucha

Kombucha Member+

Jul 1, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    They also played Tyler Turner and Nathan Smith at FB over the weekend.

I encourage playing the Academy players, but got to have the right mix. They won 2-1 after losing combined 7-0 with the youngsters.

Shouldn't abandon playing the kids but mix them in appropriately with the young pros and a few vets so the team can play at a certain level.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  20. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    17 y/o (birthday was last Saturday) Ben Mines scored for NYRBII

Tom Collingsworth, bballshawn and Gorky repped this.
  21. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Robinson made his pro debut midweek in a 1-0 win. Goslin was an unused sub.

Elsewhere, Dawson McCartney '98 got his first USL minutes, starting for Bethlehem at CM. He is heading to Dartmouth.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  22. Maitreya

Maitreya Member+

Apr 30, 2007
    Providence, RI
    Looks like a pro debut for Chris Goslin, playing 80 minutes for Charleston on the road against the Red Bulls II with Miles Robinson also starting. The stats show a game dominated by RB II, which had 60% of possession and attempted 172 more passes. For Goslin personally they read 21 passes, completed at 85.7%, 6 duels won, 2 lost, 2 aerial duels won, 4 fouls won, and 3 clearances. This info suggests he did pretty well in 50/50 situations and in physical battles, but spent a ton of time chasing/defending a RB II team that had most of the possession.