YNT-eligible NASL/USL players -- 2017 In-season thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Mar 20, 2017.

1. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't like top prospects like Gonzalez not getting a first team contract, instead having to get a second team contract. When you sign pro terms at Barcelona, is the contract for the first team with the ability to play for lower level teams or do you sign for Barcelona B? This is just one of the weird rules that MLS teams use.

Its one thing if we are talking about a low-level player who is not really much of a first team consideration eventually, maybe only if they do something completely expected, but having a "B" team should not mean that you can ignore signing your top prospects to first team contracts, and incorporating them into the first team. If they aren't ready, fine, but if you are signing a high number of them, there should be one or two that are ready each year.

2. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Huge Arellano signed a HG contract with the Galaxy 6 months after signing a G2 contract. Sometimes it's just because of roster spots this time of the season.

3. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I'm aware, but its one of these weird MLS rules. What other league in the world has a limit on the amount of academy players you can sign to first team contracts?

4. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    NASL Jacksonville has been sold to Robert Palmer whose bid, it is safe to assume, was simply irresistible. Terms were not disclosed in the press release, which said:

A native of Lakeland, Fla., Palmer and his wife, Jill, have local ties to the area and have maintained a residence in Neptune Beach since 2007. He is the founder and CEO of Robert Palmer Companies, which is based in Central Florida and is involved in the financing, marketing, and escrow of more than $5 billion in residential real estate.​

TxEx and Winoman repped this.
  5. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Shrug. Its worked fine for players like Tyler Adams.

The existence of these USLPro contracts for academy players is quite an advance as it is..........
    It gets them in the door and if they prove themselves then they can get that first team contract.

Come on. Surely the majority of posters on this forum are two young to get that reference..............!!!!! :)

Dave Marino-Nachison repped this.
  6. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Not my problem!

Winoman repped this.
  7. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Your concern is literally irrelevant to the soccer development of these players. The main difference is MLS does have limited roster spots that a 16 yr old can fit into. So that's your answer. Without researching who's occupying which roster spots for Seattle it does seem that they would have at least one or two top HG signings for their 4 developmental roster spots. But it just doesn't matter. So you are right that Barcelona would not directly sign them for Barcelona B, that's because they don't have a limit to their first team roster. MLS teams do. The other point is you always ignore is that most players play Barcelona B and its not below most prospects to play that level to prove their first team worth. Same is the case for MLS. Most if not all prospects will benefit from playing USL level for whatever time they need at whatever the appropriate age is for them. That by definition is incorporating them into their first team. Its a critical step.

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  8. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    #308 ussoccer97531, Jul 18, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
    I'm saying MLS has weird rules that don't apply in other countries. You agreed. There's no problem here.

9. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Nothing to see here. Move along.

10. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Dude...

TxEx, ielag and Winoman repped this.
  11. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    S2 is starting three 16 year olds tonight (Gonzalez, Koontz, Brisco) as well as '97 Lorenzo Ramos. No Sam Rogers, who played in the U18 third place game on Sunday.

SPR is bossing the game, but Koontz and Brisco have held their own in defense so far. Gonzalez hasn't had much of a chance to get involved.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  12. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I stumbled across this guy's Wiki page and I realized that he's not US eligible. He played for Australia in qualifiers for the 2015 U17 WC.

13. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    The DA may or may not be correct, but they have listed him as American. Transfermarkt says he was born in LA; what appears to his Facebook says he's "from" there, but that could mean anything really.

http://soun.ussoccerda.com/sam/teams/index.php?team=1655643&player=68193117

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  14. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My bad for missing this, but George Acosta subbed on for the NCFC vs Swansea friendly over the weekend

15. Kombucha

Kombucha Member+

Jul 1, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    Devin Vega goal at :20 seconds

Peter Bonetti and Winoman repped this.
  16. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    He's currently 11th on the team in field player minutes, 10th in appearances. Nice start to his pro career.

TxEx, ChuckMe92 and Peter Bonetti repped this.
  17. Kombucha

Kombucha Member+

Jul 1, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    3 goals and 2 assists.

You could make a pretty convincing case Vega has been the best thread eligible attacker in USL this year.

18. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    It will be really interesting to see what comes next with him and how much San Antonio profits from rolling the dice with him.

They deserve to be compensated. MLS has historically been loath to do so. Of course, SA also wants in MLS....

19. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    #319 Dave Marino-Nachison, Jul 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
  20. Peter Bonetti

Peter Bonetti Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    1970 WC Quarterfinal
    The Fresno FC franchise, led by Frank Yallop as General Manager looks like it could be another strong franchise in another mid-size city for our young prospects to play in front of a strong minor league fan base.

Also, I am assuming that Eric Wynalda will be leading the Los Angeles Wolves in the NASL. You can say what you like about Wynalda and a lot of it would probably be true, but he has shown on three different occasions now (Atlanta, Cal FC and LA Wolves) that he is an expert at putting together a minor league roster. For all his shortcomings, he always excels at that task. I would like to see him doing that specific task in the NASL next year.

21. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I have nearly no need for these random USL/NASL franchises.

Need reserve teams for FCD and co.

22. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Will be Las Vegas.

23. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Yeah, who needs more people investing in this sport in this country...:rolleyes:

Tactical Hipster and Peter Bonetti repped this.
  24. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Did you read the second line of my post?

I'm not against it, but if these teams are all non-entities towards US Soccer, why should I care? And also, I think the more teams that are added, the less room there is for reserve teams. And if there's not less room for reserve teams, those teams will be in lower divisions, so its a lose-lose for these USL and NASL teams to go into those leagues that won't be trying to develop young American players.

25. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    #325 Dave Marino-Nachison, Jul 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
    The only people with any hope of someday creating the soccer nation you want are the people who are willing to invest in soccer teams and employ players.

Werdman89, TxEx, anivha and 2 others repped this.