YNT-eligible NASL/USL players -- 2017 In-season thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Great news- Los Dos started three 00s against Reno 1868 FC, Jake Arteaga, Zico Bailey, and Jorge Hernandez. However, there was a slight problem- Reno 1868- 9 LAG II - 0.

USSoccerNova and bballshawn repped this.
  2. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Saw this. Not good at all especially being that they are defenders

3. chrome_vapors

chrome_vapors Member+

Oct 15, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Obviously they're not your guys.

Though I believe only Zico is a defender.

Tactical Hipster and bballshawn repped this.
  4. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Arteaga is also a defender.

5. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
  6. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    #256 Dave Marino-Nachison, Jul 4, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
    Here's LA's lineup:

Lineup: Eric Lopez; Zico Bailey (Jonah Estrada 66’), Tyler Turner, Robert Castellanos (Jean Engola 43’), Jonathan Hernandez; Jorge Hernandez, Alejandro Covarrubias, Jake Arteaga, Adrian Vera; Justin Dhillon (Ethan Zubak 43’), Adonis Amaya​

That's an extremely young team to be playing a second-division professional match in any country -- and they took 'em on the road!

dwsmith1972 repped this.
  7. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    "....I have good news and bad news..."

8. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Full match:

9. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    So wait what? Kleiban is propping up the 16 year olds but bashing the older kids who came through that same academy that his brother coaches at. So if the older kids can't hack it whose fault is that? What a backhanded "compliment." But I guess I shouldn't be surprised given who made the comment in the first place.

10. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Some of the older former Galaxy academy players like Vera, Dhillon, Amaya, Zubak never were coached by Brian Kleiban. So that's where that pathetic tweet is coming from.

Peter Bonetti and bballshawn repped this.
  11. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Inbox:

CARY, N.C. (July 6, 2017) - Billy Schuler and Jose Carranza have both landed on the NASL’s Week 15 Team of the Week after offensive contributions helped the team down league-leading Miami FC 1-0 on Tuesday night.

Schuler recorded the game-winning goal, while Carranza provided the assist.
    The move starts around 1:20 -- it's a sweet pass.

12. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I may have to go to a store and see if he has his own line of douches. He actually makes me want those kids he brags about so much to fail and I'm disgusted with myself for feeling that way about kids I don't even know but that guy brings it out of everyone.

dwsmith1972, Winoman and Sandon Mibut repped this.
  13. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I'm an American. I want the American kids to do well but beyond that I want the academies to do well. Those kids, whether they play for the US, in the MLS, or elsewhere are a reflection of our development programs. As they gain success, more kids succeed and get opportunities wherever. So you eventually get more teams, more players, better competition, better results and future national team players.

Playing politics with kids, propping up some, bashing others, and basically saying to them that there's only one way to go is absolutely wrong. Using 16 year olds to further your agenda is pathetic. I wish the kids well but personally hope Kleiban and his brother fail. What a sad state of affairs this entire shitshow is.

ussoccer97531 and Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  14. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I think its important that we don't confuse Gary Kleiban and Brian Kleiban. Brian has done nothing to deserve our ire. He chose to join the Galaxy and change the system from the inside. Gary just sits on the sidelines and bashes everything everybody else is actually trying to do. He's also one of the folks that tweets religiously about the lack of pro/rel holding US soccer back. I'm so enormously tired of that crowd. They just wail endlessly and have no actual evidence to support any of their claims..................other than its just the way the rest of the world does it.

dwsmith1972 and Winoman repped this.
  15. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I wouldn't say Brian is innocent. I have no actual proof, but I think he pushes players away from the US program. I don't think Gary has any influence on the players, I think Brian does, so if Gary's saying something on twitter, I think Brian's probably saying it in private.

I don't believe that Gary's just some crazy guy that his brother has no similar opinions to. Maybe he's more controlled, might even be more controlled with his opinions in private than his brother is with opinions in public, but I still am not convinced this guy is innocent here.

TxEx repped this.
  16. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    If nothing else Brian either isn't telling Gary to shut up on twitter, agrees with him, or is being ignored. Of those three there's no evidence of an issue between the two and that Gary is saying whatever the hell he wants despite Brian's preference.

There's a circumstantial case to be made that Brian feels the same way, even if he doesn't say that out loud publicly.

Pegasus and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  17. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    I guess I'm the only person here who has an adult sibling, since there seems to be an awful lot of speculation about how those relationships work.

anivha and UxSxAxfooty repped this.
  18. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brian could tweet from time to time that he doesn't share the views of his brother but doesn't control him. By staying on the sidelines he's sort of giving consent. Yes, siblings don't agree but if one of my sisters was constantly saying crap about my job that I didn't agree with I'd make sure everyone knew I didn't agree.

TCS35 repped this.
  19. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    They run a business together so they're not estranged. On the other hand, Brian could be telling everyone in the development world that he believes in MLS and he and his brother agree to disagree. I'd just as soon Brian didn't go on twitter and talk about youth development. Too many people talking too much on twitter as it is.

20. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #270 TarHeels17, Jul 7, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
    bballshawn repped this.
  21. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    This doesn't really help Acosta circumvent the signing in Europe at 18 rule, given that he's a January birthday, and can already sign when he turns 18. This would've helped someone like Sargent. Maybe Acosta just wanted to get some more games ahead of the U-17 WC?

TarHeels17 repped this.
  22. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gotta be, right? It's the new situation where without Bradenton, players need to play high quality soccer the rest of the year. It's like Watts with Portland: he doesn't even necessarily want to play in MLS, he just wants to play/train at a high level.

I really like that this is a by-product. It will push our good players at low-end academies, like Pulisic was, to train with, say, the Union, which is really interesting.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  23. Kombucha

Kombucha Member+

Jul 1, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    The pair signed an deals with their U23 PDL team for the rest of the season, which is onl 3 games.

Pusilic will go onto Duke. Acosta will do what he is going to do.

24. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Acosta's Florida youth club, Weston FC, also has a PDL team. There are many other PDL teams in Florida -- so I guess I just kind of wonder what was behind the choice of North Carolina. Maybe it's as simple as his family isn't in Florida anymore; maybe NC just had something to offer that he valued that other organizations didn't.

Sup Bro repped this.
  25. Sup Bro

Sup Bro Member+

Oct 26, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if NCFC have some sort of unofficial relationship with an agent or club in Germany.

Taitague was able to register at Schalke immediately after turning 18 last year, Carranza visited Germany during the NASL season this year, Will was "the other Pulisic" at Dortmund for a while, Acosta spent some time training at RB Leipzig last year.

Wouldn't mind seeing a pipeline develop. Perhaps an enterprising journalist could explore the connections!