YNT-eligible NASL/USL players: 2017/18 offseason thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Nov 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brotheryoungbuck

Jan 24, 2015
    parts unknown
    I need some clarity real quick. So there are both amateur contracts and academy contracts right? I think I remember Swope Park Rangers signed kids to contracts that preserved NCAA eligibility, that I recall was an “amateur contract” but I’ve also seen kids from numerous academies just play in USL games. I’ll assume the latter are “academy contracts”. So could a team theoretically sign a kid to an amateur contract and not count towards the amount of academy players in an 18? Or are these contracts I’m thinking of the same thing. I assume these amateur contracts take a roster spot though.

2. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999

3. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think they are the same.

4. ckajMonet

ckajMonet Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 8, 2017

Could be wrong but I think Gambarte is a CF and Cardozo a LW

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  5. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saint Louis FC signed Aedan Stanley '99, Jack Maher '99, and Seth Stiebel '99 to academy/amateur contracts.

Stanley in particularly played a number of games last year. He may continue to get game action, though he's currently slated to depart for Duke this summer.

TarHeels17, Winoman, Pl@ymaker and 2 others repped this.
  6. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Inbox: PDL Tucson, owned by USL Phoenix, was named the second D3 club.

Peter Bonetti and ielag repped this.
  7. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    That's curious. I'd swear I read where the first year D3 was gonna be regional with USL focusing on the Southeast. I wonder if this means they'll have two regions the first year.

Peter Bonetti repped this.
  8. Peter Bonetti

Peter Bonetti Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    1970 WC Quarterfinal
    In my opinion USL has it backwards. Instead of making the division II a gigantic league with the Division III being a small league, it should be reversed. Both of the leagues should be large, but the Division III will cut costs more with primarily regional travel. Regional travel requires a ton of teams.

My guess is that this will evolve naturally as some Division II teams look to cut costs (particularly some MLS II teams) and choose to go the Division III route.

I love that states like Alabama and Georgia and Arizona have ownership groups excited to get involved with minor league professional soccer. I want kids in every state of the union to see a local, direct pathway for themselves into the professional game. MLS cannot canvas the entire country by itself, but USL can.

Now, if we can just get the NCAA to approve the year round calendar proposed by the coaches, the Division IV PDL/NPSL/UPSL route will become an excellent development option for some players while they attend college as well.

There is some real, big time potential here if we play our cards right.

9. Peter Bonetti

Peter Bonetti Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    1970 WC Quarterfinal
    I had not heard about the Southeast regional emphasis. In addition, I have heard that Omaha is looking to start with a D3 franchise in the first year,

10. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I think USL will continue to get very large and very regional and within about 5 years have about 80-90 teams in the two divisions.

(For perspective, there are 120 full-season minor affiliated league baseball teams and 72 affiliated short-season teams in the US and Canada, NOT counting the independent leagues.)

There are just so many places out there where a team could do well if the travel costs are contained.

11. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
  12. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The report in the local paper said that FC Tucson may not start in D3 until 2020, depending on how quickly the USL can assembly a regional division for the west.

This sort of flexible start date makes sense. Regional travel should be appealing to potential owners, but nobody wants to be first and be stuck on an island. Now the USL can go to potential owners in Bakersfield or San Bernardino or Visalia or wherever and tell them that Tucson is ready when they are. Meanwhile, Tucson can happily ply their trade in the PDL without ever having to do stupid travel to another part of the country.

Sandon Mibut, ielag and TxEx repped this.
  13. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sandon Mibut repped this.
  14. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
  15. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Richmond announces a few academy signings. They have a tradition of doing deals like this, particularly with GKs.

The Richmond Kickers have added to Academy signings for the 2018 USL season, with Richmond United Academy players Sam Bacon and Kent Dickey joining the club.

Bacon has competed in the USSF Development Academy for five years and was recently named to the 2017 Academy Summer Showcase Best XI. On Wednesday, Bacon signed with Elon University to begin his college career this fall.

Dickey joined the Richmond Kickers Youth Soccer Club at the age of 7 and is currently in his fifth year with Richmond United. The 6-foot-4 goalkeeper trained with the Kickers last summer and is committed to Villanova University.
    http://www.uslsoccer.com/news_article/show/884529?referrer_id=2427467

Winoman and Peter Bonetti repped this.
  16. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
  17. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    KC's affiliates and/or recruiting are really making an impact. Busio and Lindsey are also from NC. USL signings Felipe Hernandez and Will Little are from Tennessee. Zach Wright is from Texas. Wan Kuzain is from southern Illinois. Daniel Salloi is from Hungary.

EPB, Ellis, and Kempin are their only academy signings actually from the KC area.

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  18. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
  19. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It's hard to imagine the Quakes' amateur academy players playing much for Reno, though. Logistically that's a real pain.

TarHeels17 and Peter Bonetti repped this.
  20. Peter Bonetti

Peter Bonetti Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    1970 WC Quarterfinal
    3 1/2 - 4 hour drive one way. I’m not saying that it can’t be done but the word “pain” was a good word to describe the drive.

Both Sacramento and Fresno are over an hour closer.

21. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Peter Bonetti repped this.
  22. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
  23. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TarHeels17, Winoman and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  24. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TarHeels17 repped this.
  25. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team: