YNT-eligible NASL/USL players: 2017/18 offseason thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Nov 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kombucha

Kombucha Member+

Jul 1, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    It isn't going to be easy getting minutes on ATL2 at Forward.

Your forwards are Patrick Okonkwo (HGP), Josef Samuel (can also play MF), Diego Lopez, most like Jon Gallagher (1st Rd Pick).

I like what they are doing with the signing though and most 16 year olds are not expected to play a lot right off the bat. Better to get Lopez in a much better environment even if he plays with the DA a lot.

2. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Their '02 year is looking pretty bad, besides Bello, so this was a nice add for them.

4. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    The only mechanism where an MLS club could sign a YNT player in the past is through the Superdraft or the allocation ranking. Clubs are not allowed to put YNT players on their discovery lists.

But, I think Atlanta has beaten the system by getting him onto their USL team. Now that word is out that you can apparently skirt MLS rules and sign YNT players directly to your USL team, I wonder if this is going to start a run on these players.

Anderson11, TxEx and TheFalseNine repped this.
  5. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Atlanta is not the first to do this. Portland signed Harold Hanson, a player from the very same club (FC Golden State) to a USL contract last year. Orlando signed a player from Sacramento's DA team (Ryley Kraft).

Thus far, nobody of sufficiently high YNT name recognition has been signed using this method, thus allowing MLS to ignore the issue. No doubt a rule made on-the-fly will be created in controversial fashion when this starts to spiral out of control...

Sandon Mibut and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  6. Brotheryoungbuck

Jan 24, 2015
    parts unknown
    I could be crazy here but isn't the MLS rules about US U17 or U20 players who have been capped in an official FIFA game/tournament? I mean Nike Friendlies are friendlies. Of course he's out of their development range but, idk, maybe since he moved down there for non MLS (an MLS reserve team is a stretch for this but who knows) related reasons he could be signed as an actual HGP next year. Seems like some crazy games being played but is it any crazier than Portland signing Harold Hanson last year to T2?

EDIT: Just saw Balerion's post.

7. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    Don't think he could get HGP status, but he could be signed as a USL priority player now. He won't get the HG tag, but they still get him without having to trade up in one of the many drafts.

Since this loophole apparently exists, I'm kinda surprised it isn't being used more.

8. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    People have been predicting a "run" on teen American prospects for years. European clubs; lower-division clubs; now it's MLS affiliates. None of it has really turned out to be more than anecdotal given the scale of the game here.

Change seems inevitable, of course. And maybe it does need a few aggressive teams to shake things up. (If you recruit nationally for your academy AND you have a second squad, why wouldn't you?)

Of course, as always, a lot of it probably comes down to what they're offering these guys. Apart from guys who are pretty determined to leave the U.S. for Mexico, or super-elite guys who can pick between major European clubs, the competition with college and GA and HG and the possibility of a foreign deal remains stiff.

Since MLS2 guys aren't on MLS rosters, we don't have the kind of visibility into the contracts that we do for the first team. Would be interested to know what kind of deal someone like Lopez gets.

9. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    Part of the Academy kids signing contracts with S2 is that they get help with continuing their education.

And its a continuation of what they were working on with the Academy with respect to making sure players have every opportunity to continue their education.
    https://www.soundersfc.com/post/201...inues-investment-its-players-through-enhanced

10. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
  11. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    South Georgia Tormenta FC of the PDL is “moving up” to USL D3 next year.

12. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Gorky repped this.
  13. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is that the first confirmed D3 team?

14. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes.

15. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    Nelson Blanco has re-signed for NCFC. He’s a DC United product and Salvadoran dual national. He’s probably below YNT standard but if he’s getting first team minutes for NCFC he should be on the radar.

16. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is there confirmation that he's a US citizen? I see Transfermarkt lists him as a dual national, but they aren't always 100% on that.

17. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    His DA profile page also said he was American, I believe. Of course, those can be wrong too.

18. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Some USL rule changes that could affect young players:

Contests in the USL Cup Playoffs will now allow a fourth substitute to be used in extra time.

Off the field, teams will now be permitted to trade or sell international roster spots within the league for the duration of a season. Following the conclusion of the season, all rosters will reset to seven international roster spots per team.

In game-day rules, teams will now submit a 23-player squad at least 48 hours before kickoff of each game, reduced from 27 players a season ago. Additionally, a team’s 18-player game-day roster may now contain a maximum of five players signed to USL Academy contracts.
    (From the inbox.)

Winoman repped this.
  19. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    S2 fielded a few teams last summer that were fairly close to the U19 academy team. I guess they won't be able to do that in the future.

Five amateurs per game-day roster shouldn't be too restrictive, though.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  20. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Could be right.

I guess I'm mostly guessing that these hint at some continued tension between development/professionalism at the D2 level that, one would think, still has some shaking out left to do. (Esp. with USL D3 on the way.)

ckajMonet repped this.
  21. ckajMonet

ckajMonet Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 8, 2017
    That academy player rule is a bummer. Hope that MLS pushes as hard as it can to keep these MLS II teams in the league, better yet every MLS club should have a II team. The EPL method of breaking off "II" teams into their own dev league doesnt work near as well. Even if it's just an optics thing these teams should prolly avoid calling themselves (x) 2 and create their own name/identity, maybe that'll help ease the tension

22. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    That might be what USL3 ends up being -- lower-level pro competition mixed with MLS2 teams. In addition, it might be theoretically possible for an MLS team to send a prospect to USL2 (or NASL) via loan or partnership if that was more appealing. Teams up and down the latter should have options.

I'm just speculating, of course.

TarHeels17 repped this.
  23. youth=glory

youth=glory Member

Sep 2, 2010
    Meh any more than 5 and I doubt the team is good enough for any real development to be happening.

24. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
  25. ratmalph

ratmalph Member

Oct 26, 2016
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    The Steel had seven once last season in the 18 but only four of those saw any minutes.