YNT-eligible NASL/USL players -- 2016/17 offseason thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Nov 15, 2016.

1. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
  2. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    What about a thread for MLS?

3. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Is it the offseason yet? ;)

But seriously -- sure, why not? Start one. Be the BigSoccer you want to see in the world.

4. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    No YNT eligible players left in the playoffs, so I'd say yes, for the purpose of the YNT forum, it is.

5. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This will be an infamous post after Victor Mansaray scores a hat trick in MLS Cup.

TheFalseNine repped this.
  6. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't know if that speaks to a mistake on my part or the fact that Mansaray is such an irrelevant player. I don't think he's played a single game this season.

7. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
  8. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
  9. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    G2 catches up with '99 GK Eric Lopez, who is eligible for the next U20 cycle:

“For me, I’m going to do my best right now. I know how this game works. If you’re doing well the coach is going to give you an opportunity and right now, the expectation for myself is to continue working hard with the Academy during the offseason in terms of getting games in and being ready for that. And hopefully I earn a chance to play more games with Galaxy II. Obviously, I look to find myself a starting spot with this team. I’ll definitely get an opportunity I think; I’ve just got to make the most of it.”​

http://www.lagalaxy.com/post/2016/11/28/la-galaxy-ii-year-review-goalkeeper-eric-lopez

10. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Inbox:

TAMPA, Fla. - Arizona United SC unveiled its rebranding Monday with the announcement of a name change, Phoenix Rising FC.

Phoenix Rising FC, in collaboration with the Salt River Pima-Maricopa Indian Community (SRPMIC) and the Solanna Group, also introduced its plans to develop a 15.8-acre soccer-specific training and stadium facility at McClintock and the 202 Freeway bordering the cities of Tempe and Scottsdale. The club plans to kick off the 2017 soccer season at the new Phoenix Rising FC soccer complex.

Rising FC Head Coach and President of Soccer Operations Frank Yallop shared details about a partnership with Arizona Youth Soccer Association.
    As a reminder, Pete Wentz and Diplo are part owners of this team.

Pl@ymaker and Tactical Hipster repped this.
  11. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    This seems to me like the Cosmos are really on life support. Perhaps searching for new investment.

Also.................

Regardless, I don't know why American youngsters would sign on to the NASL right now unless its their only option. Seems highly volatile.

12. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    By the way, some dire rumors being heard at the NASL meetings.

803629401208340481 is not a valid tweet id

13. Peter Bonetti

Peter Bonetti Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    1970 WC Quarterfinal
    Wow! Rising, huh? Sounds inspirational!

14. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Better than the 'Second coming'.

15. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Snip:

The Oklahoman has also learned that all Rayo OKC players have been released from their contracts with the club. This applies to only a handful of players with multi-year deals, for most of the players had one-year contracts (which is common in lower-division professional soccer).​

http://newsok.com/article/5529071

16. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Tactical Hipster repped this.
  17. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Flores is also YNT-eligible as a 97.

What's curious about this announcement is that the Dynamo recently made their cuts, but listed Lucatero as still on the MLS roster. If so, why would he be listed with a bunch of USL-contract players?

18. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Nice catch. Had him confused with Memo.

19. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Rayo OKC didn't make sense from the start...............................

TheFalseNine and Brotheryoungbuck repped this.
  20. Brotheryoungbuck

Jan 24, 2015
    parts unknown
    I'm starting to think the whole NASL is just an intricate inside joke within a deep circle of US Soccer fans and they just make up horrendous business decisions and write it as satire news. Some of the things that came from that league recently blows my mind. How do people who make such awful decisions acquire the capital necessary to make a team in this bizarre league.

Rayo OKC is genuinely the worst thing I've ever heard of.

NASL exec 1: "The entire fan base of North American soccer seems to not like the idea of teams that are spin offs of foreign clubs. So I'm saying we make a spin off team of a financially unstable 2nd division Spanish team. Also I've heard that MLS has interests in putting a team there, so let's do the same thing we did in Miami; Hastily put together a garbage soccer team that will certainly lose everything when MLS comes if not before because we will get owners with no foresight"

NASL exec 2: "I like how bizarre and awful that idea sounds. I also just looked at Wikipedia and saw that there's already a USL team in OKC with a decent following, plus it looks like the population of OKC is under 700,000 so surely the market is too small for two pro sports soccer teams. But do we know the population of Spanish people OKC? That could accidentally make this a team that someone could rationalize becoming a fan for."

NASL exec 1: "It says here that not only are there no Spanish people in OKC, but the Latino percentage of the population in general of OKC is almost half of what the Latino population is in the rest of the country."

The only way NASL exist next year is if it turns out the league is really just a money laundering scheme.

TheFalseNine repped this.
  21. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Is Traffic still involved? If so, you may not be too far off the mark.........................

Winoman and Brotheryoungbuck repped this.
  22. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zamphyr, deejay, Winoman and 1 other person repped this.
  23. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Sean Okoli said he would not return to Cincinnati, though he didn't say where he's going (and, of course, he might not know yet). And Gabe Gissie! The late '96 re-signed with Sacramento.

24. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
  25. Kombucha

Kombucha Member+

Jul 1, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    The league was sunk from the first conversation. All other decisions are the result of this first decision.

NASL exec 1: There was once a soccer league in the US called NASL. We should restart that league.

NASL exec 2: Great idea what set of rules should be use to control spending and ensure long-term sucess?

NASL exec 1: Same rules the original NASL used back in the 70s.

NASL exec 2: Say no more...I got you fam.

Brotheryoungbuck repped this.