YNT-eligible MLS players: 2019 In-season Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Balerion, Mar 2, 2019.

1. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Apparently I underestimated the number of languages those Belgians speak.

2. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Officially three.

3. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His dad was from Holland and played for the Colorado Rapids

4. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I'm perplexed at the European interest some of our players are starting to get. It tells me that we are starting to improve and I haven't made an adjustment for the caliber of interest each level of player should be getting.

KUSA77, Patrick167 and USSoccerNova repped this.
  5. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    We have been good before as well. There are plenty of good club coaches. We just had an artificial bottleneck in Bradenton.

Peter Bonetti repped this.
  6. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    The reality is that you are not alone. When change happens there is generally a lag in reaction to that change. First the level of play changes but European interest lags. When European interest begins to increase, it is not obvious at first and there is a lag in our (fans) understanding of the depth/magnitude of change. We know there is change...just as the Europeans knew our players were improving but there is still a lag. It happens on both ends...at the beginning of growth and at the end of growth into plateau or decline. I believe that we are in a period of accelerated change in the US and for a period of time, historical trends are not valid. We can't look at historical trends in terms of European or domestic soccer and use them to accurately predict by extrapolation. I think your instincts are pretty good but, as you said, you will have to make adjustments and reevaluate your standards more frequently than in the past.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  7. IHSSOC

IHSSOC Member

Dec 29, 2006
    Peoria, AZ
    Josh Perez with a nice goal

Tom Collingsworth and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  8. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He needed it. The pressure was building after all the missed opportunities. That touch out of bounds when he was in on goal a few minutes earlier was brutal. He missed an open net earlier this year too. He certainly hasn't lacked spunk and he's displayed some skill we knew he had. But needs more poise and anticipation, including on defense, because it's leading to some breakdowns and his play being erratic.

Maybe tonight is a performance to build on. He's been decent, w/ LAFC not shockingly creating a ton of chances, albeit maybe surprisingly on the counter mostly.

WheezingUSASupport and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  9. IHSSOC

IHSSOC Member

Dec 29, 2006
    Peoria, AZ
    Admittedly, haven’t seen much of him this season, and have been just sporadically watching this match, but he did well on the goal...though San Jose is that imploding as it’s now 5

10. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The good:

1164392569033375744 is not a valid tweet id

The bad and ugly:

1164391386881449986 is not a valid tweet id

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  11. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Another factor is probably representation. If I understand the history, most American agents had very little connection to clubs in Europe. They just took superdraft picks and worked deals with MLS. Just like they do in the NFL.

But the agents have become more global in their connections. Plus, the players have become more cognizant of what agents can do for them. The agent Pulisic uses (I think his Dad was his agent but a real agent advised) was one of the few who even thought of Europe for players tfour years ago. A guy like Cory Gibbs is new, but has moved a whole bunch of kids to Germany now. Now their must be entire agencies looking for kids to move to clubs in Germany alone.

But I also agree the talent must be better. Guys who score in the DA at 17, score in the U19 Bundesliga at the same clip (Hoppe, Soto, Sargent). Clubs notice that and you would expect strikers in the DA will have many German clubs vying for their signature going forward. Llanez, Pulisic, Taitague also had success right from the DA to the U19 Bund.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  12. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    The major difference is that our kids have caught up to other nations' kids but ours don't cost money to bring over. European clubs aren't paying fees or if they are they're minimal unlike SA clubs who sell their kids.

Free talent will always be attractive to clubs. It also really helps that our kids are making waves and showing they belong over there. The combo is hard to pass up for any team that can make it work.

UnitedBorn and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  13. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Sombrerito and autobus39 repped this.
  14. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Toye and Dotson start for Minnesota away to Sporting KC. Game begins at 9:30 eastern on ESPN2 currently (ESPN after the Little League World Series end).

15. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    Aaronson and McKenzie start for Philly. If Mckenzie can lock things down despite his rust then maybe he keeps his spot.

Not sure where Trusty and Colin are.

Mahtzo1 and TarHeels17 repped this.
  16. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--

17. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
  18. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    Pomykal, Cerillo, Reynolds, and Pepi on the bench.

Let’s hope Pomykal can get his mojo back in the 2nd half. Although he really just probably needs a 1-2 game break.

19. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    Why is he on the bench? is it to rest him, injury, or? Anyone have an idea?

20. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Hell of a goal for Ferreira

deejay, Mahtzo1, Luksarus and 3 others repped this.
  21. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Imagine it's for rest. He's looked gassed the past couple weeks.

22. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ferreira had several mazy runs on the ball around defenders. He didn't even used to try. And he makes good decisions at the end. That evolution is a major development because now we're talking about him being potentially useful at every position across the attacking line. I wasn't the highest on him as a cf by itself because of lack of physical tools.

Pomykal needed time off to rest his legs. Shouldn't react any way to it. It's a neutral event.

23. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    Pomykal has been open about trying to manage a not 100% hamstring

Mahtzo1 and gogorath repped this.
  24. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, Pax is not going to rest it fully because he's on in the 69th minute.

25. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doesn’t make sense. If you’re going to rest him, rest him. I understand having him on the bench if the game is close, but it’s 4-0

Patrick167, Winoman and Dirt McGirt repped this.