YNT-eligible MLS players: 2019 In-season Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Balerion, Mar 2, 2019.

1. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--

2. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017

3. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #2153 Clint Eastwood, Aug 18, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
    I didn't see the game (other than the highlights), so can't comment on the whole thing. From what I've seen over the last several weeks, the whole team looks gassed. This isn't a deep team. And what they do have is pretty young. FCD also has its usual summer swoon (the Texas Rangers do the same thing) as the heat of the summer down there takes its toll. All of the practice, training, games, etc. in that weather is draining. You can minimize training...………….but then you're not prepared as you should be. People used to always complain that Pareja didn't rotate the squad during the summer, and the guys just looked increasingly gassed. Same thing here.

To me Ferreira and Pomykal need a break. Cannon isn't playing particularly well either over the last several weeks.

And at some point in a season "rookie mistakes" can't be tolerated for a team trying to make the playoffs. The Ferreira in midfield experiment has to end. We have natural central midfielders available. For some inexplicable reason he was playing really deep last night, and played a nice square pass to a Montreal player for an easy goal. Can't happen. I don't care if a player is young or not. I don't care if he's playing slightly out of position. Can't happen. That's a terrible mental error that cost the team. In week 2 we can call it a tough lesson. Right now it can't be tolerated.

I'm glad Bryan Reynolds got his first ever start, but really? Of all the options we had to start on the left wing, we chose Bryan Reynolds? The kid we've been training at right back for the last two years? I mean, we have loaned out three players who can play there (Aranguiz, Atuahene, and Twumasi)………….for that? Play fricking Badji on the wing, and put Ferreira up top. Or rest Ferreira, and play Ondrasek. I think the Cobra might start next game. He's got some fight in him at least.

4. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Bummer for Sands, who'd been having a breakout season:

WheezingUSASupport and don Lamb repped this.
  5. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    I'd also say that Luchi has made a mistake in putting Pomykal higherer on the field than he was early in the season. It seems he's lost a lot of his freedom that he had, and he's not driving games like he was instead having to rely on others to get him the ball instead of picking it up himself. Considering this and Ferreira's positioning, I wonder how much of this is a developmental thing. It's like Luchi is purposely putting them in positions that at not as comfortable/suitable for them so that they will develop in those areas. It goes with the developmental philosophy of Luchi and the club, but it's risky when there is a playoff position on the line. As far as the break needed, again, maybe part of that is Luchi telling guys like Pax that this is a long season -- you have to figure out how to be at your best during these times.

6. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    does the injury keep sands in mls for an extra year?

7. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Too tough to tell, but he's likely done for the season now.

8. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I just think that when we had a trio of say.....……….Pax, Acosta, Grueso...………...the roles were pretty well defined. I do think folks underestimated the skill level and importance of Carlos Grueso for FCD. Very good player. Losing him was a bigger blow than some anticipated. His quality #6 play provided the base for Pax's freedom out there.

FCD is in 8th place. Crazy as it is, they're also only 5 points out of 2nd place. Their next three games are against Houston, Cincinnati, and Chicago. Three teams that are outside of the playoff positions right now. So if you're an FCD fan, you're hoping for a run here against weaker opposition. Anything less than 7 or so points from these 3 games, and they're in trouble.

[Most of the West has games in hand on them. 7th place Portland has 3 games in hand. 6th place San Jose has 2. Hence the sense of urgency.]

What's good from this thread's point of view is that Luchi continues sticking with Pax, Ferreira, and the kids thru tough times. Last night's Reynolds start was an example.

TCS35 repped this.
  9. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Doyle made a great point in that the HG's aren't really hurting Dallas, it's their god awful foreign signings over the past few years and Dallas I believe is the 8th highest spender in MLS the last 3 years.

Had Dallas hit on at least some of their foreign signings, these HG's could shine even more playing with better players.

10. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Every quote from Torrent regarding Sands is him raving about his quality. Hopefully next season we hear the same from him about Haak.

I would have Sands on our Olympic qualifying (MLS based) roster. Be the 3rd CB behind Robinson and Glad, and he has the versatility to play DM.

11. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Yes...…………...8th highest transfer spending since 2015 was the number.
    FCD isn't some "little club that could" based on spending. Just to prove your point, FCD's DPs at the start of this season were Aranguiz, Grueso, and Acosta. Colman was a DP last season. He was "paid down" so he's not a DP anymore. Two of the 4 aren't here. 1 was awful, and then got hurt. Has done nothing. Acosta seems good, but not sure he's DP value. Other foreign players folks probably have already forgotten from 2018. Anibal Chala. Anton Nedyalkov. Marquinhos Pedroso.

FCD has also had four first round draft picks over the past two drafts. None of them are playing with the first team: Montgomery, Atuahene, Twumasi, Nelson. Two are on loan. Two are with NTSC.

So Luchi is going with the domestic academy kids, but the kids do look like they've hit a wall. People have mentioned Ferreira and Pomykal. The FCD insiders say that Pepi seems to have hit a wall. Maybe Roberts too, but he's been out with a couple minor injuries in a row recently.

I was hoping FCD would sneak into the playoffs with this roster. They may be first team out in the West.

12. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Look at his touch at :07. Pepi has incredible feet for a player his size. He's a CF you can launch the ball at, and he'll hold it up.

1162931477425852417 is not a valid tweet id

USSoccerNova repped this.
  13. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    he likes that turn

14. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think when it comes to Sands' injury issues it's a combo of his aggression while being very thin. The former compensates for the latter, but makes you more susceptible, like it did with Stu Holden.

He should take the offseason to build up his body a bit. He's not in a spot where finesse helps him anyway, and if anything his speed would get better from a little muscle while still not making him bulky.

15. Tactical Hipster

Dec 23, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the late ATL-POR game last night, I thought Robinson was again fantastic. Atlanta is opening up for a much more attacking style in the past month or so (similar to last season a little). I think that kind of style places a lot more emphasis on Robinson's 1 on 1 ability and he is flourishing.

One small thing I do notice about Robinson though is that he always starts slowly. Every game he makes a small misread or loses a duel very early in the game and then it barely ever happens again. Not a big deal, but something to keep a eye on going forward.

16. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd say he was a plus in being able to break Portland's lines too. He can't play long and isn't a good line splitting passer either, but he is pretty prolific in taking the space ahead of him on the dribble and then finding the man ahead or squaring after he's drawn the opposition to him. And he's very underrated in using his off foot. He seldom makes a mistake too. He's improved to an average ball-playing cb I'd say.

How much of a factor was he in winning Campeones and did the Mexican sides take it seriously? I wasn't even aware it was going down.

17. Tactical Hipster

Dec 23, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good point, there were a couple really good runs into the midfield to relieve pressure and break Portland's shape. He is definitely doing that more often.

Well Club America essentially played a 4-2-4 formation for most of the game, so he featured pretty heavily in that game (although he only played about half the game). I read that Club America played about 8 of their usual starters, which is about the same that Atlanta did.

Speaking of Robinson against Mexican teams, the first time I thought to myself "Whoa Robinson is a viable USMNT option" was against Monterrey in the champions league. I thought Robinson did as good as you could've hoped against Funes Mori.

My final point on Robinson (because I'd talk about him forever) is that Robinson has really needed to be very good this year because his centerback partners have been extremely sporadic. Robinson is seen as the rock of the defense this season

18. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    Average you say? He’s definitely above average for MLS. Maybe average from a USMNT perspective.

19. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

20. LuckofLichaj

LuckofLichaj Member+

Mar 9, 2012
    It’s a big deal man. He’s a CB. Robinson was awful in the first half. Gave the ball away a few times. He thought it best to go to ground 40 yards away from his goal in an attempt to block a pass- not put in a tackle mind you- but block a pass and the man with the ball simply sprinted past him. He let Ebobisse front-side him on a cross basically giving him a free header.

Yes, he can run, takes great recovery angles and he’s silky on the ball. But he’s subpar in every other facet. From what I’ve seen, just terrible in the box. That’s a big problem.

21. Tactical Hipster

Dec 23, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I uhh don't think I saw what you saw. The only glaring mistake I saw early in the game was when he got turned by Fernandez because he misread the ball. He only had 4 misplaced passes the whole game and the Atlanta system consists of their CBs pushing 40 yards forward like LGP, Pogba, and Robinson. I don't think he "let" Ebobisse in front of him, I think he could've bodied Ebobisse a bit more, but I think it was a inch perfect cross and Ebobisse's mark was switching from LGP to Robinson at that moment.

What do you mean by "terrible in the box" here? As in he gets muscled off the ball?

In no way do I think he is perfect or even should be a USMNT full-time starter yet, but the improvement he has shown in being a starter one season has been pretty great and I do think he should get another callup.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  22. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
  23. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Could be nothing.......................but several sources indicated that Paxton Pomykal was "missing" from FCD training yesterday.

TarHeels17 repped this.
  24. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Apparently de Vries did have the vague "European interest."

25. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The signing release indicates Dutch citizenship, which likely explains the PSV interest. Considering recent quotes about how they're scouting USYNTs heavily and the fact that he might even have some Dutch roots in him, it makes sense that they'd at least want to give him a look. Apparently he was raised partly in Brussels so it's possible he even speaks Dutch.