YNT-eligible MLS players: 2019 In-season Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Balerion, Mar 2, 2019.

1. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Any link for this?

2. Kombucha

Kombucha Member+

Jul 1, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    TimB4Last repped this.
  3. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In a salary capped league, what alternative really is there? There's the "Extreme Hardship" rule that they could try to use here, but I can't really think of a scenario where you can have the same thing as in Europe where you can call up anyone in the whole club.

Maybe some salary positions where a player makes a max of $5k or something like that, but has a max length of 1 year? I don't fully know how you would go about making that work with the CBA, either.

4. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    They'll figure it out.

With Atlanta, the number of left fullbacks they have out right now is kind of a freak thing. Mikey Ambrose (from El Paso, TX :) ) will be back soon from his hamstring problem apparently. So its just about figuring it out until then.

Its important that these rosters have "jack of all trades" kinds of players. For FCD that's Ryan Hollingshead, who can cover almost any position on the field. Maybe Gressel can fill in at fullbacik. Something like that. It not ideal, but it works.

FCD had a stretch last month in which Pomykal, Servania, and Cerrillo were travelling back from the U20WC. Mosquera was out hurt. Acosta, Grueso, and Arangruiz were out on international duty. They had very few warm bodies in the midfield. Did folks feel sorry for them? Complain about league rules? No, they figured it out. They had Jesus Ferreira move into a #10 role in the midfield. They had Hollingshead in the midfield. They used Thomas Roberts, who had just turned 18, a lot in the midfield. Luchi switched out of their 4-3-3 to a formation that covered their lack of midfielders.

These kinds of short term position shortages happen all he time in MLS. Coaches just learn to figure it out. Its part of the deal with leagues with roster caps and that also plays thru international windows.

What we've learned in about half a year is that de Boer will complain about anything and everything. Guess what? Want a left back...……………..go tell your front office that you need to sign another one. Trade somebody to Portland for Marco Farfan. Eeefus…………...

WheezingUSASupport and TheFalseNine repped this.
  5. Tactical Hipster

Dec 23, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why couldn't you just allow teams unlimited callups of players on youth contracts? This would give teams a incentive to have good academies and teams could use the depth.

btlove, xbhaskarx and TheFalseNine repped this.
  6. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
  7. Kombucha

Kombucha Member+

Jul 1, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    I might not be looking at it from all the angles, but it feels wrong to me to allow amateur players to play in competitive MLS games. If you are quality enough to be in the 18 for an MLS side then you should be compensated with an MLS contract in my opinion even if the deal is only short-term.

I would be surprised if Atlanta isn't able to free-up both a roster slot and some portions of Shea's salary cap hit to bring in a replacement, but in a salary cap league their has to be both a fixed number of roster spots and a fixed salary amount that can't be eclipsed during regular season games.

8. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    We do have to remember that these youth players are not part of the MLS Players' Union. They are not covered by the CBA between the league and the Union. They are not employees of MLS (as a single entity organization).

A lot is going to change with regards to the academies over the next 5 years. At a future date maybe this will be possible..................

9. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    It is wrong and the Players Union wouldn’t allow it.

TarHeels17 and xbhaskarx repped this.
  10. Tactical Hipster

Dec 23, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well the situation here is out of almost desperation rather than pure talent. I agree that if a player is seen as quality enough to play for a MLS team that they should be compensated, but what if a team looks at it and says "hey we aren't 100% sure that this kid will ever make it but we NEED a LB for this one game or two"? I would think it'd be beneficial for the kid to play a game or two to get the exposure and with a sink or swim situation like that, maybe it helps the team realize they should offer him a contract.

I guess I'm thinking the compensation piece is really for the kid and agent to worry about rather than MLS.

It is a moot point of course because they traded to get Mo Adams, but then had to release Gordon Wild to make room for him.

11. Kombucha

Kombucha Member+

Jul 1, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    I think that in that case, the Academy player should have to sign a MLS contract, but there should be flexibility to sign players to 2 week deals sort of like the 15 days contracts in the NBA. The two week deals would be good for whatever the prorated minimum salary is for 2 weeks. They could be used on Academy players or players on USL deals.

MLS could allow teams to use one or two 2 week deals without having to make additional roster moves to accommodate the move, which would give teams flexibility to address certain situations due to injury or to provide cameo appearances to USL prospects to judge their quality on a higher level.

However, I don't think amateurs should be able to play in MLS competitive fixtures even if the Players Union was ambivalent to it, which they certainly wouldn't be.

largegarlic and TimB4Last repped this.
  12. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS (and adidas) have partnered with the DFB on an academy goalkeeping course.

"Participating coaches and 27 players will take part in both classroom education and field instruction in Germany from July 20-26, then take the curriculum home to continue implementation through 2020. MLS has invited coaches from every club in the league to participate in the program, which is based off the German methodologies of goalkeeper coaching education utilized to good effect since 2011.

The DFB’s goalkeeper performance course consists of three phases: First, DFB training via this month’s weeklong course in Munich, followed by development and implementation of the German framework into the daily routines at MLS academies and dialogue between DFB mentors and their MLS counterparts to guide continued growth.

The third stage is a “final DFB immersion” wherein the German mentors travel to North America at the end of the 12-month implementation period for final assessment and testing. Upon passing the rigorous course, MLS goalkeeper academy coaches will receive an officially recognized coaching certificate from the DFB.""

TxEx, xbhaskarx and TheFalseNine repped this.
  13. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    Vazquez starts on the wing. Atlanta with a short bench without Carleton to be found.

Somewhat of a surprise is Pity on the bench.

Sombrerito and autobus39 repped this.
  14. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Miles Robinson starts for Atlanta as well. They host Houston starting at 7 eastern.

DeJuan Jones listed as starting at left back for the Revs. Rennicks is on the bench. New England has a home game against the Whitecaps at 7 as well.

15. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    early red and not much from the kids but safe to say atlanta have been thoroughly de bored

WheezingUSASupport and TheFalseNine repped this.
  16. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    vazquez gimme header from inside the 6. houston look completely disinterested down a man

autobus39 repped this.
  17. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FC Dallas are hosting Sevilla in a friendly that is just about to begin. You can watch it here in the Dallas market.

Cannon, Reynolds (at center-back), Servania, and Pomykal start. Cerrillo is on the bench.

Minnesota is hosting Aston Villa in another friendly about to start. You can watch here anywhere. Toye starts and Dotson is on the bench.

19. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    autobus39 repped this.
  20. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Leyva beasted. Nonstop motor, showing to the ball, spraying it around, quick and efficient passing, getting into passing lanes, picking balls off players, harrying BVB players, not flustered by them as an opponent. Gotta think if he weren't already drawing interest from a lot of big clubs, he is now.

AOC had his moments as well, but it was surrounded by some rather substantial biffs. Should have scored a goal or two but missed sitters and had a bad giveaway. Still better than I've seen him play thus far. Showed some promise.

21. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm starting to get excited about Leyva. He has something about him that makes you take notice.

22. Brotheryoungbuck

Jan 24, 2015
    parts unknown
    It will be very interesting where Reynolds lines up with the next U20s, if he does. I’ve thought he’s looked pretty good/dangerous as a winger. I didn’t mind him at fullback for Open Cup. He’s playing here as, and has for the YNT, at Cb. And other like him best at striker so who knows.

autobus39 repped this.
  23. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look up "Extreme Hardship" in the rules here: https://www.mlssoccer.com/league/official-rules/mls-roster-rules-and-regulations

It says in those situations you can call up a player from the USL affiliate, so presumably as long as that player is on a USL academy deal, you can call him up.

24. Brotheryoungbuck

Jan 24, 2015
    parts unknown
    Academy contracts are just glorified statements of commitment to play an amateur. I think there’s no way we ever see an MLS where an amateur is allowed to play. Even though in a case like this it would be nice because he will be on pro contract soon. I don’t know much about the larger pro and am at top division conversation so I hope I didn’t present as an expert, but if someone can point me towards a resource on it I’d love to see it. I know that Jacobo Reyes played in cup games in Mexico and even made a Liga Mx bench, what leagues can you play at top levels as an amateur? And potentially my more ignorant question, why are many of you ardently opposed to it? I’m not attempting to say you’re wrong, I’m inclined to believe you guys are right actually, but the reason why it upsets you guys isnt so immediately clear to me besides respecting unions and making sure people get paid to play when a team makes money.

Mahtzo1 repped this.
  25. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    By the way...…………..in that Dallas friendly against Sevilla. Bad news. Remember it was a hamstring problem that kept him out for quite a while before the U20WC.
    1151654520864346112 is not a valid tweet id

autobus39 repped this.