YNT-eligible MLS players: 2019 In-season Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Balerion, Mar 2, 2019.

1. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Yes, but I avoid that thread like the plague.

2. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Duncan has been very active to start this match.

3. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    Was...has made some poor decisions since. Let’s hope he gets some minutes this year and his decision making improves.

4. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Rapids could be close to signing another academy player.

WheezingUSASupport and TarHeels17 repped this.
  5. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I suspect it'll be Sebastian Anderson.

6. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. Tactical Hipster

Dec 23, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #107 Tactical Hipster, Mar 6, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
    Here is a snippet of a article about De Boer and what he wants from his defenders and had this to say about Robinson:
    '“That was my specialty,” he told Steve Hummer of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. “Miles Robinson, for example, I don’t want him to (try those type of passes) because that’s not his quality. He’s a better defender than me, that’s for sure. He’s a better athlete than me. He has to know when he has the ball, he has to give it as fast as possible to the players who can distribute it the best.”'

High praise saying how good of a defender Robinson is. I think the 3-man backline has looked much better with Robinson being the RCB and Parkhurst at CB and LGP at LCB. I just hope that Pogba and Escobar coming back doesn't impact his playing time.

If I was a betting man, I'd think that Pogba is LGP's backup because they are both very adventurous and Escobar will fight with gressel at the RM position.

Edit: https://theathletic.com/851251/2019...r-the-back-three-is-still-a-work-in-progress/

WheezingUSASupport repped this.
  8. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    #108 Dave Marino-Nachison, Mar 6, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
    Passing has been my question about Robinson since seeing him in college. The modern USMNT level in terms of passing quality for CBs is fairly high -- even at the U20 level, we've been decent there in recent years. Certainly he can improve that over time but I wouldn't expect it overnight. And of course if he forces his way onto the field anyhow, that's obviously a good thing.

9. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    Don’t like hearing this. If he’s constantly planning on passing backwards or laterally because the two other CBs are better at distributing then:
    1. He’s not going to improve his passing game as much
    2. Other teams are going to pick up on this, especially teams like NYRB with a high press

USSoccerNova repped this.
  10. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    We have a lot of CB's who struggle in two areas, passing and pace. Being below-average or average in one of the two areas is not a huge problem, but you can't be below-average in both, IMO. We have a lot of players who are below-average in both (Carter-Vickers, Miazga, Zimmerman, Parker, Trusty), but because they are good in the air or make a lot of sliding tackles, they get plaudits. We've used a lot of these types of CB's through the years, and we don't give up a lot of goals, but we also have very little of the ball and are forced to defend very deep. The NT has to go away from using these types of players.

Brooks lacks any type of quickness over small areas, but he's probably our best passer among the current crop of NT CB's. Pair him with a quick CB, and that can be the starting pairing. A lot of people have criticized Glad in recent years, but he's a very good fit for what we need at the CB position, mobility and passing. He's at least average, arguably above-average in both areas. When comparing two pretty equal players like Carter-Vickers and Glad, one fits what we need, the other doesn't. I don't understand how a player like Trusty is considered higher in the pecking order than Glad. Was he a better player last season in MLS? Does he fit the needs of the NT at CB better? The answer to both of those is no, IMO.

Did he exceed expectations more last season than Glad? Maybe so, but this is where the Glad discussion veers off in the wrong direction, IMO. He was one of the best CB's in MLS in 2017. His 2017 season was as good (or better) than the vaunted Miazga season of 2015 where he earned the Chelsea move. If Glad doesn't progress much more and the best he gets is a very good MLS CB, that'll be good enough for a regular role in our NT.

Long is reliable. I do think there are some concerns about him signing a big MLS contract, and regressing. Thats happened to some other promising MLS players. It might keep him from being a starter in 2022, but he's one of our better CB's right now and plays a style we need to see more of in the NT. He's very mobile, and a good passer. EPB gets too much criticism because he hasn't yet reached his potential. Regardless of the reasons, he's currently one of our best CB's, and he's the most mobile CB in the pool. He's also at least an average passer, and his passing plays up because of how much time and space he can buy himself due to his mobility.

There are some others coming through the ranks like Richards, McKenzie, Araujo (if LAG doesn't ruin him), etc who could factor into the NT picture in the coming years. I think they all fit the style of play we should be looking for from CB's, but none are NT caliber players yet. As for where Robinson fits into this discussion, he certainly doesn't get the plaudits of players like Carter-Vickers, Trusty, Miazga, Zimmerman, Parker etc, but I think he's a better candidate for that 4th, 5th, 6th depth role. He's definitely one of our most mobile CB's, and he's a very good defender, including good aerial play.

As of now, I see the depth chart as

1. Brooks
    2/3. Long and EPB (I'd give the nod to EPB, if on form. Otherwise, Long.)
    4. Glad
    5. The tronco brigade (Carter-Vickers, Miazga, Trusty, Zimmerman)

I could see Robinson earning his way to 5th by the end of the season, although I doubt it'll actually happen. If need be and there are problems with those first four, we could always go back to Besler for an important game. He's our best CB IMO, but I do understand the thought-process that we should transition to a younger group of CB's.

11. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Luksarus, Winoman and WheezingUSASupport repped this.
  12. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    Wonder what’s considered “top-flight”

13. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The flags represent the leagues, not the nationalities, which I found a little confusing at first too

14. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
  16. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lindsey drew the penalty for the equalizer. He was checked behind the goalline after sending a cross in.

Tom Collingsworth and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  17. kingshark

kingshark Member+

Mar 3, 2006
    in general Lindsey was pretty naive defensively.

18. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Busio was pretty open late in the match there to try and equalize but Russell decided to shoot. He wasn't on there long, but kid is such a fluid athlete even against grown men.

19. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Practice observations from Buzz. He has an interview in which Luchi describes his choice to start Hayes/Acosta last week over other options central midfield options. Here's a tidbit that could impact squad selection for the upcoming game against the Galaxy...............(meaning I think its highly likely that one of our youngsters starts this game. Probably Paxton.)

Unfortunately, you can add Jacori Hayes to the injured list too, although I'd call him day to day. After the game on Saturday, he told 3rd Degree's Dan Crooke he was fine. But apparently, he has some tightness in the hamstring. Today he did some jogging and stretching to see if he could give it a go but the decision was made to pull him from training. Given the cold temps that was probably a good idea.

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/soccer/soccer/2019/03/06/fc-dallas-practice-observations-march-6th

20. ckajMonet

ckajMonet Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 8, 2017
  21. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
  22. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    That goes completely against what I had heard, but I don't mind the Slonina signing. He might not play a first team game before he's out of contract. If he stays on a good course, he'll be out of contract at age 19 or Chicago could transfer him to Europe at 18/19 in his final season. He could've signed somewhere in Europe at age 16 due to possessing an EU passport, but keepers have it much harder with breaking into a first team than do field players. It'll probably be easier for him to work his way up the ranks in a league like MLS than at a major European academy. If he's starting to be integrated into first team minutes the last season or two of his contract, he could extend it another season or two. I don't see much downside in this deal for the player or the club.

Chicago hasn't shown much of a willingness to use young American players, so I'm not expecting Slonina to be integrated into the first team before his contract is up, nor would he be ready to play in the first team in the next few seasons. What is the better option though for Slonina?

I think this means that Las is definitely headed to Europe. He's a better prospect than Slonina and currently a lot better. What I don't understand is why Las is still at Chicago. He's now 16 and its suspected that he possesses an EU passport. Is he trying to put himself in the shop window at the U-17 WC? I suspect he already has plenty of interest abroad and wouldn't need it.

23. Luksarus

Luksarus Member

United States
    Jul 27, 2018
    ChuckMe92 and Sandon Mibut repped this.
  24. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

25. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #125 Clint Eastwood, Mar 9, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
    Update: Jacori Hayes officially out against LA this weekend.
    As far as I can tell, that means a youngster has to start. Most likely Pax. And the other two might actually be on the bench (Servania, Cerrillo).

On the other hand, Pedroso is off the injury report. So that probably kicks Nelson out of the 18 for this week.

Clint Eastwood prediction.

---------------Badji---------------
    Mosquera--------------Barrios
    ----Acosta------Pomykal-------
    --------------Grueso
    Hollingshead-Ziegler-Hedges-Cannon
    --------------Gonzalez------------

Bench:
    Maurer
    Bressan
    Pedroso
    Servania
    Cerrillo

Aranguiz
    Ferreira

The LA Galaxy injury report used to exceed an entire MLS roster's salary total: Ibrahimovic, Juninho, Alessendrini, and Kitchen all might be out :) They are quite thin up top. Does Efrain Alvarez start? Do they actually need Ethan Zubak in the 18 this week?

USSoccerNova and WheezingUSASupport repped this.