YNT-eligible MLS players: 2019 In-season Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Balerion, Mar 2, 2019.

1. STANDFAST

STANDFAST Member

United States
    Jun 8, 2018
    Yes, this year it was $16k per player/per season in academy. Makes one wonder what MLS teams actually think they will get in retroactive T/C fees from their academy players per academy season if they sign a foreign contract.

2. STANDFAST

STANDFAST Member

United States
    Jun 8, 2018
    Agree. There would be a reciprocal advantage that would balance the loss of their players to other MLS clubs. FCD could poach other MLS clubs' academy players that those clubs may not want to sign.

3. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just having the lower level clubs there for players in the area to develop in and try out for is a major positive. Getting an open tryout may be difficult for an MLS franchise.

And I do think it's a positive for these more talented kids to play against men. Have them adjust to the physicality and build confidence before playing men who also have their skill-sets.

For a club like North Texas, who looks a cut above, eventually they'll get promoted to the next tier, either organically or not. I don't know their league rules below MLS. Then it'd be even better experience.

Can't argue with the results so far for Dallas. That's where Seattle's kids should be hanging out, instead of drowning in the Championship.

4. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if that's where MLS teams will gravitate to like Germany's U19 vs U23's. A lot of teams have the better prospects at U19 where they make skip U23 altogether and join the senior team.

5. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    which is somewhat analogous to the very top highschool basketball players skipping college to go directly to the NBA.

6. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Clubs can trade homegrown rights as it is. And they've done so for very little in return. The absolute minimum amount of TAM/GAM/whatever. FCD traded the rights to Shaft Brewer to LAFC for a bag of old soccer balls.

I just find the whole discussion silly at times. If a youngster doesn't want to sign for FC Dallas, then what the hell is he doing at FC Dallas? Go play for Solar like Blaine Ferri did. Go play for another local team like Keaton Parks did. There are a gazillion clubs in Texas that the kid can play at. They're at FC Dallas because they recognize its the best club available to them for their development. Don't take advantage of that development opportunity and then whine about being held hostage there.

I think what we're going to start seeing at MLS clubs is that the best opportunities are going to go to the kids most willing to sign the deals. Not the most talented kids. I suspect that the kids playing the most for North Texas right now are the kids most likely to sign contracts. The wafflers can dream about Arsenal from the U19 bench as far as I'm concerned. Be committed or get the hell out.

[I'm not talking about the pay for play kids on the premier or select teams. They're paying...............so they can come or go as they please as far as I'm concerned. Like Charlie Kelman and Jamie Dunning.]

Pegasus repped this.
  7. Runhard

Runhard Member+

Barcelona
    United States
    Jul 5, 2018
    I see your argument from the standpoint of FCD or as a coach at the club, but not for the players. The players are at FCD because FCD asks them to be there, and the player in turn provides a service to FCD, and the player works to develop and sacrifices a lot to be in the organization. Lets be real, FCD wouldn't have a reputation if it weren't for the players that win games and win a lot of games at that. It's a two way street.

The kid is at FCD because FCD has connections, takes them to international tournaments and can help them get to a higher level due to the infrastructure and built in advantage of being an MLS Club. I am willing to bet not one kid in the FCD DA would tell you their ultimate dream is to be an FCD first team starter. Having said that, they need to use FCD to get where they are going. In turn, FCD gets training compensation or the right to sell them, if FCD offers enough in the original contract.

I see this as an arm lengths deal. The kids have no reason to be loyal to FCD simply because FCD is the MLS team in the area that has all the resources and provides training. If DT was the MLS team, they would all be at DT. In terms of opportunities, I think FCD will continue to give opportunities to the kids they think they can sell and make money off of. FCD is not giving these kids playing time out of the goodness of their heart or because the kid is a loyal soldier. It doesn't work like that.

I tend to disagree on who is given opportunities based upon what we see now. As I posted earlier, there were 6 Academy kids in the USL game last night that have not signed a contract. I think it will continue to be that way. The best will play, as it should be. Dont' understand the be committed or get the hell out line of thinking. If FCD can sell a kid, they should offer him enough to keep him around. Earn the commitment by paying him, not because FCD think they deserve something from these kids, because they don't.

8. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    You do realize MLS has an extremely dumb rule (shocking) that limits the amount of money each team can use towards HG contracts that don’t count towards the cap right?

The upcoming CBA is going to have enormous ramifications for the future of the league. Won’t shock me if there’s a lockout to start the 2020 season.

9. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    Was thinking they belong in USL Championship as well.

I haven’t read anything about the pro/rel between the leagues besides USL putting the idea out there months ago.

10. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could teams turn down a promotion?

11. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I think this is smart from Ochoa. GK is one of those positions where academy players almost never can break through at, regardless of how good they are. It's much easier for him to try to break through in MLS and then move to Europe at 22-23 once he has a lot of first division appearances.

WheezingUSASupport and Pegasus repped this.
  12. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    I need a U17 or youth who missed the u20 cut to do something positive today or tomorrow in the MLS games.

That and a win vs Nigeria would make everyone feel better.

Winoman repped this.
  13. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    Anyone know if RSL has any big names in their academy pipeline besides Ochoa?

Looked at Real Monarchs last game, but not seeing any youngsters in the starting 11.

14. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Bofo with another long range goal cutting in from the left

15. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Chris Garcia. In the games I’ve seen, it looked like a weak few age groups aside from Garcia from RSL.

irondeepbicycle repped this.
  16. IHSSOC

IHSSOC Member

Dec 29, 2006
    Peoria, AZ
    U19’s Jordan Pena and Steve Jasso signed and are playing with the Monarchs (Pena more than Jasso)...01’s Julian Vazquez and Luis Arriaga have signed 1st team contracts with Arriaga making a cameo (plus a few appearances with Monarchs)...Academy players Delentz Pierre (‘00) and Noah Beck (‘01) regularly train with Monarchs / 1st team

irondeepbicycle and Zamphyr repped this.
  17. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Griffin Yow traveling with the Sr team to NE for tonight’s game.

18. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saucy is on one right now, another goal aside. He was playing killer balls, interplaying w/ teammates, keeping his dribble alive to get into more dangerous positions, and getting into passing lanes to start the break. He's ready to make something happen as soon as he gets the ball, which he's putting in the effort and showing the savvy to do. He should change his name to Carleton to get more hype. This is what we expected him to be doing at this point.

don Lamb and WheezingUSASupport repped this.
  19. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    His crosses to Savarino were incredibly accurate.

He seemed to fall off a bit around the 75’, and then seemed to turn it back on after LA tied it up.

One other thing I noticed is that some of his teammates weren’t incredibly excited when he scored the goal.

20. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Yow will have a nice MLS career. He reminds me of Magee who was never a super talented specimen but a smart, hard working type that new how to be in the right spot to score goals and had a good shot. Scoring goals keeps paychecks coming.

21. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    Rooney’s successor

22. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Sands and Mihailovic starting on Univision

23. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Mihailovic just nearly had a great assist but Kata's chip hit the post. He's playing very well to start this match.

24. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Bruuuuhhh if Aaronson had a clue how to finish he'd be an all-star

25. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kind of a down week for youngsters, part due to the u20 WC and part just to poor form, but a couple of nice cameos in the Red Bulls' match by Fernandez and White. Fernandez found White on the give and go, but took too long to pull the trigger on goal. But a minute later on the counter White found Fernandez on a diving header. I believe it's Omir's first league goal of the season.

WheezingUSASupport and Zamphyr repped this.