YNT-eligible MLS players: 2019 In-season Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Balerion, Mar 2, 2019.

1. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Well, we all saw his pregame interview.
    He felt that last night was an extremely important game, so he started close to his best XI. He didn't start Pity because he didn't have the same amount of pre-season training as the other guys.

We also have to remember that he's started poorly at his last couple of stops (Palace, Inter). He presumably wanted to come out guns a'blazin' in league play picking up a win against a quality opponent.

It all backfired, but we can also understand the logic. There's nothing that says using some of his other players like Carleton/Bello would have led to a better result. A lot of credit must be given to DCU and how they played.....................

2. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The ultimate problem is that when Carleton signed ATL probably hadn't figured out what they wanted to be as a club. He signed up before they had a coach or any of the stars they have now. So whatever they told him could have been the truth at the time but plans could have easily changed when Tata came on board.

Tom Collingsworth and xbhaskarx repped this.
  3. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    Lennon and Herrera both went 90. Neither was impressive. In both cases, it was some combination of playing poorly + a weird RSL defensive scheme that left them to defend on islands a bunch + Houston's wingers being really good.

Saucedo didn't get into the game at all, which is disappointing considering how well he played in preseason. If RSL isn't going to play him, they should just trade him.

4. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    So I think Andrew Carleton is a really talented kid but I also think there's little doubt he's a chucklehead when it comes to maturity and decision-making.

And at some point, that's on him and his people.

When it was just Tata, you could dismiss it as one coach's opinion. When it was Tata and Tab, well, you could say there were extenuating circumstances with Tab not calling Carleton in.

But now we're on a third coach. It's starting to become a trend.

Granted, it's only been three games, but de Boer appears to be coming to the same conclusions about young Andrew that Tata and Tab came to.

Some time soon, this all stops being about the coaches and starts being about the kid and he'll need to take a hard, long look in the mirror to figure out what he needs to be doing differently to stop alienating coach's from wanting to put him on the field despite his immense talent.

Winoman, Sup Bro and MuchoTakeItEasy repped this.
  5. kingshark

kingshark Member+

Mar 3, 2006
    I know the list. Worse than Carleton? I think you misunderstand it, not me. I cannot say all but most are better than Carleton now. And back to their youth time, they also met Carleton's situation, they earned the position. Some of them are underrated just because they are not facy or are old. When you check a players ability, can you consider experience, tactical principles, consistency, defensive work and so on, not just fancy footwork ( and for Carleton, with high failure rate).

I've told you I don't hate Carleton. I watched him from U17 world cup. I have my reason to think differently on him. So please don't say 'mislead'. Even euro top scouts can misjudge some prospects, and you think you are scouting god?

Maybe for some of you guys who said Carleton is a USMNT regular player in one year, it's hard for you to understand it.

6. kingshark

kingshark Member+

Mar 3, 2006
    Let's also compare Carleton to Alvarez. The later one got tons of amazing goals and showed enough skills at USL. However, he got zero minutes on LA Galaxy first team, considering LA Galaxy's attaking mids are Lleget, Gio Dos Santos, not as young and talented as Barco and Almiron. I think Carleton can definitely get chances this season, if he grabbed, he can earn more, but now he is not a regular first team player for Atlanta United. Also, If he can leave Atlanta United to another MLS team or Europe, I'm glad on him.

OK, I don't want to talk too much nonsense on Carleton. If he get the chance, I will watch his performance and talk about him.

7. Peter Bonetti

Peter Bonetti Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    1970 WC Quarterfinal
    Both ways could have (and probably would have) backfired, in terms of the result verses DCU, but the way that he did not try would have left him with a lot more fresh first team starters for the next game.

This is a classical case of having no good options, so you have to be disciplined and choose the least bad option - no easy task when you are under pressure, but essential if you want to maintain your job as a manager in the overcrowded calendar of professional soccer. Frank de Boer chose the intuitive but less effective option of playing the players that he trusts the most and pay the scientific consequences later. He would have gotten hammered publicly if he had gone the other way, but he also would have had a fresher squad for the CCL midweek game.

At some point, the manager has to trust the science of it and accept that neither option is good - you have to go with the one that will hurt you the least overall. de Boer is not alone. The vast majority of professional coaches struggle with this issue. Unfortunately, when you choose to ignore this issue, the science reminds you.

8. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    There is no thread which can't be converted into Carleton thread.
    MLS: Carleton and coaches.
    USL: Why he isn't playing at least there?
    U17 WC: This team is worse than the Carleton's one.
    U20 WC: Caleton and Tab.
    Yanks abroad: Carleton should play there. Where?
    Alvarez: Let's compare him to Carleton.
    And then of course there is "Carleton thread".

Peretz48, TarHeels17, eliwood and 9 others repped this.
  9. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's almost like 2-3 people are hell bent on crapping up every YNT thread with pro-Carleton comments... and something similar happens in every MNT thread with anti-MB comments.

10. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

11. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    Somewhat disappointing weekend. Don’t think too many many of these guys proved they deserve more playing time either.

Annoyed that both Vermes and Boer didn’t rotate more of their players. SKC looked gassed in the 2nd half.

Now the chances of either Atlanta or SKC advancing are much slimmer which means less playing time for our youths on both teams.

Thought we’d at least see Busio get some sub minutes. He did so well last year.

12. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Busio was on the SKC injury report as questionable with a quad injury

13. DeAndresHaircut

DeAndresHaircut Member+

Jul 24, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They said during the broadcast that Vermes was preparing "two teams" in training to help prepare for the early CCL/MLS congestion. I'm hoping Busio starts in CCL this week, but I know better at this point so I won't get my hopes up.

onefineesq repped this.
  14. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I forgot that only negative comments were allowed about this player. We should instead make pro-Mexican youth national team player comments in multiple threads in the US section or circulate pro-FMF talking points. For players that actually want to represent the USA, we should be discussing when they'll enter rehab.

Patrick167 repped this.
  15. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Vermes has a long history of not rotating his teams, and using very few players during the course of a season. He runs them into the ground early in the season. They pick up a lot of points in those games because his teams are good when they aren't fatigued, but in the middle of the season (when the heat is the worst and fatigue starts setting in), they start dropping a lot of points. By the end of the season, they are barely in playoff position, and lose early in the playoffs.

16. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's almost funny that you think "maybe the USSF should put in some level of effort to make sure we don't lose prospects to our biggest rival" is a "pro-FMF talking point"... almost.

I've never mentioned Alvarez where it wasn't relevant (and never in this thread until now) and have mentioned him a grand total of three times on this forum outside the thread called "The Efrain Alvarez Thread"... here they are: 1 2 3
    One of those was posting a tweet that mentioned him in response to a comment about Alvarez, and another was just listing the players on "USL 20 under 20", which included both Alvarez and Carleton!

Meanwhile a search for your comments mentioning Carleton just in the YNT forum gives 869 results!
    I know married couples who don't talk about each other nearly as much...

And for the record, I said just last Wednesday that I'm not worried about Carleton being a bad influence and think he's already turning things around. Like all US fans I wish the best for Carleton (whether some fanboy can see that or not), hopefully one day soon you'll actually have a good reason to talk about him!

derek750 repped this.
  17. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Athletic:
    In first games, Omir Fernandez shows why Red Bulls made homegrown offer

A technical player, Fernandez has shown in his small sample size as a professional that there is an intriguing skillset. He is equally comfortable floating out on the wing or playing as a false nine. His ability to make passes between the lines is promising for a team that wants to move the ball quickly in transition. Some within the organization think he could be a playmaker in a No. 10 role. Last month, he was called into the United States U-20 national team camp.

Having been developed in part through the team’s academy, his ability to play fast was a major selling point in the Red Bulls choosing to sign him to the squad this offseason.

“He’s intelligent, he’s fast, his top speeds are impressive. He’s shifty, his change of speed is interesting,” head coach Chris Armas said. “In preseason, you can’t ignore that he’s scoring goals (and) that he’s scoring goals in different ways. He’s running behind backlines, he’s breaking down defenses on his own.”​

Zamphyr, Sombrerito, DirectK and 2 others repped this.
  18. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was always a very risky proposition to sign for a club which essentially didn't exist and had zero track record to fall back on.

There was nothing Carleton could look at and say, hey, that fits with what I want out of my key development years.

And it isn't like this was 2010 and he couldn't forecast the issues. Sargent who's his same age understood the risks of signing with a local MLS team and bolted at 18.

One of the least talked about aspects around here is career management. The MLS restrictive system is terrible but why sign away your key years at such a young age? I'd have kept options open until 18. Especially with the YNT showcase tournaments.

19. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    The reason that Brandon Servania wasn't in the FCD 18 this past weekend..................

20. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    We don’t know that. He played the same day for the reserves. If it was injury related, wouldn’t he sit out a week?

21. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe but could also be they didn't care if he had to be removed in a NT game but weren't sure enough about him for an MLS game.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  22. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #97 Clint Eastwood, Mar 5, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
    It might have more to do with the fact that he didn't get to train/practice with the first team due to that injury.............................

If everybody is fit and healthy then one of Servania/Cerrillo is probably in the 18.
    [Along with the one of Hayes/Pomykal/Acosta that isn't starting.]

23. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    There is a whole thread for this.

24. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Waiting until 18 also has risks. The problem is that at 16, most Americans can sign with whatever MLS team has been gifted their "rights" or stay amateur. Neither is good for development.

What would be good? Letting the kids find the best situation for them with whatever MLS or USL team wants them the most.

25. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    Ah okay so then maybe SKC is prioritizing MLS regular season games over CCL.