YNT-eligible MLS players: 2019 In-season Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Balerion, Mar 2, 2019.

1. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Aha! Ask and we shall receive the info. I was thinking that FCD might have an option, but maybe not.

Attached Files:

TCS35 and Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  2. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So does Pomykal not have any club option years on his contract?

@Clint Eastwood literally just suggested he doesn't above, so maybe not.

3. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    If the club has an option after this season, his contract would technically be scheduled to end at that point. I am highly skeptical that FCD don't have options past this season for several reasons.

onefineesq and Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  4. Kombucha

Kombucha Member+

Jul 1, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    Agree. I would be shocked if their are not 2 options years on this deal.

3 years is the normal contract followed by two 1 year options. Technical you are out of contract after the 3 years until the team picks up their options, which if their is one FCD will obviously pick-up.

Of all the annoying rules issues with MLS not publishing contract details and lengths is the most annoying to me.

TCS35, kba4life1 and Patrick167 repped this.
  5. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he had euro interest and access to an EU passport, which apparently he did, he had leverage in negotiations.

TCS35 repped this.
  6. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    [​IMG]

Now that's a list I would like to see!

7. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    SKC is the only club I’ve seen post contract lengths including the option years for their players.

8. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010

9. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, a club is going to have to spend real money if he keeps the current path. I'm thinking 10 million +.

10. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    that...that is a pretty huge error

11. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Have we seen much evidence of HG signings directly to the MLS team that don't have some combination of contract/option years? USL contracts seem a bit more varied, but offhand I'm not thinking of any, say, 1 or 2 year, no option (or player option) HG deals. Don't know enough about it to do more than guess, but I'm wondering if this might be part of the union deal.

12. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    They seem to be pretty standard. 3 years with a couple of option years.

I remember Amando Moreno leaving on a free a year after he'd signed his homegrown deal with NYRB. So that one must have been different (of course it was a while ago now).

13. Kombucha

Kombucha Member+

Jul 1, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    Yes. Lots of the College HGP sign 1 or 2 year deals because they are largely viewed as roster filler that the team doesn't want to commit to long-term, so it is definitely allowed.

However, Durkin is the only legitimate development prospect that I am aware of with any rumblings of signing a deal that wasn't 3/1/1. Granted with MLS contracts details are very difficult to come by case in point a writer paid by MLS getting the contract length of a player completely wrong.

14. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    According to Stejskal, that confusion came about thru Pomykal's response to his question.

Either way, FCD is obviously going to pick up the option for next year. If for no other reason than to cash in on a transfer fee. Cannon was signed at a similar time, so I imagine his contract is in the same position.

upload_2019-4-18_12-59-56.png

TCS35 repped this.
  15. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Anyway, on to another player.
    This is good news. We need him to be in good form for the U20 World Cup.

16. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    That's a fair point. In my head I don't see them as HGs but, technically, they are...

17. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't this the game that Trusty is suspended for? Not exactly a ringing endorsement of him from his manager.

18. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    I will be there in person to turn the screws. Now I have to change my sign, however, from the more direct "Union, U Suck!" to the more subtle "MM - Play well, but not too well."

19. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Indeed, a strange case, and early days. But I remember people wondering "What just happened?" after it was announced, before the club came out and said he was out of contract...

20. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So two ex-FCD Academy kids playing both outside back spots for LAFC. Do they get included in FC Dallas' HG minutes?

TCS35 repped this.
  21. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Huge, but the MLSPA will try to stop it.

22. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now people won't blame MLS over those things... wait no, plenty of internet morons who complain about "pay to play" blame MLS so nothing will change.

23. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I think this is going to have a negative effect on our players signing in Europe.

Not every MLS club plays their young players, so some of them need the European avenue. There still isn't free movement around MLS. If MLS allowed that, this would be less of a problem.

The reasoning some use for why this is needed is that MLS clubs will eventually stop putting money into their academies, but which clubs have done that? Some clubs don't put that much money into their academies, but I don't think there's any evidence to say that its because of the lack of compensation when a player leaves.

kba4life1 and Sombrerito repped this.
  25. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    What I don't understand is when the TC is paid. Is Mendez on a "pro contract" that would have triggered a payment? Or is he on a youth contract that doesn't? When Soto moved to the first team, he signed a different kind a contract that is a first "pro" contract. Is that when TC is paid?

If the TC is on the initial move and the U19 contract, then it will be harder for players to move as the cost is no longer free. But if it is paid when the first team contract is executed, that is wiggle room that would allow teams to kick the tires and then maybe the fee doesn't look prohibitive if the player is going to be on your first team.

What if a player leaves the MLS academy for a DA academy then signs?

I think the elite players will still have interest and TC will be negotiated.

I think this might crimp Mexican clubs taking MLS players.

TarHeels17, Sombrerito and ussoccer97531 repped this.