YNT-eligible MLS players: 2019 In-season Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Balerion, Mar 2, 2019.

1. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Cuello starts, Araujo and Efra on the bench for the Galaxy.

2. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Gonna be a good game, its on FS1 btw so you have to record it to rewatch unless you have foxsoccermatchpass

3. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Is Alvarez to be discussed in this thread or is it only for players playing for the USA?

Araujo is listed at 5'9 on the MLS website. They list him as a RB, which isn't surprising, considering Kleiban said that Araujo is too short to play centrally. I think its a shame for his career that the club he's now playing for is playing him at a position where he has decidedly lower potential. If Araujo is a RB, is he a top 5 player in the '01 year? Top 10 player?

The top three Americans from the draft all didn't make the 18 for their team the first game of the season. Anyone who had seen these players though could've said they were not high-level prospects that would be immediate impact players in MLS, but the media still spent a lot of time talking about these players because Americans love drafts.

Patrick167 repped this.
  4. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yueill on the bench for San Jose.

Bwana on the bench for Seattle. Matt Doyle gave his citizenship time table as 12-24 months on a recent Scuffed podcast episode (where the did season previews for a bunch of thread eligible players)

5. youth=glory

youth=glory Member

Sep 2, 2010
    MLS media?? What is that? MLS' own website? I wonder why they would hype of something of their own...

Did you ask if maybe the coaches all have a grudge against those players? Or is that only for players you like?

Also, you may notice the 5th overall pick scored a stopage time goal game tieing goal.

All in all, i think every sense-able person as been lamenting the fall in value in the draft for atleast the last 3 years (more like 5-6). I've proposed an NHL style were every college player is put in the draft, and they don't have to sign a contract, but can go back to school, and the club can retain the rights. Or the can play in USL/MLS the same way the NHL allows players that need more time to grow, to do so outside the professional spotlight. And a kid doesn't have to decide between 50k a year and possibly getting cut and having dropped out of school.

6. Luksarus

Luksarus Member

United States
    Jul 27, 2018
    Mihailovic played a good game, he's a very talented guy, maybe a few years ago he was not so good or maybe the scouts of the USSF did not consider him good enough for the youth teams, but I was really surprised that he only played for the U19 team and not for U17 or U20
    Emil Cuello had a fairly regular game, made some correct passes but not much more.
    In my opinion, Efra Álvarez had a decent game, I think he is not a constant player and, sometimes, he loses the rhythm of the game. After the help, he had other movements, but I do not think it was an excellent game for him. I saw the game with the Latin commentators and they were already cataloging it as the next star, a bit exaggerated, I think.

7. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #32 Clint Eastwood, Mar 3, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
    Watched the FCD-NE game yesterday. Cannon played fine. Not the best game, not the worst game. Dealt well with Penilla most of the game, but also got burned on occasion. Had a couple of nice forays into the attack that could have resulted in goals on another day.

We said that Pomykal-Acosta-Hayes was going to be a rotation throughout the year. Hayes started this time (as predicted) and did well. HOWEVA, he came off with what looked like a hamstring injury. Pomykal came on with about 30 minutes to go and did fine. Nothing that made you jump out of your seat. Did some nice things. Calm, composed, professional. If Hayes really is injured, then Pomykal is going to have an extended run in the team.

Ferreira did come on in the second half and was very quiet. Still, he does appear to be the #2 forward on the depth chart (over the Cobra) as an 18 year old.

Worth noting that Servania reportedly didn't make the bench due to that knock he took during the last preseason game. He did play for NTSC in their scrimmage yesterday., though.

Overall a pretty "blah" game all around for an FCD fan. Barrios was awesome on the right wing, absolutely wreaking havoc. Other than that, not much to say.

autobus39 repped this.
  8. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I don't think you judge a 16 year old playing with grown men in the same way you judge a 21 year old, or even an 18 year old. Let's see where Alvarez is 2-3 years from now. Then we'll see if he's improved on his deficiencies.

9. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought Pomykol looked much better than Hayes. Hayes plays like Gruezo only up higher. Tidy but just no creativity for a more attacking spot. After looking great in pre-season Badji went back into stealth mode at forward. Have to wonder if Ferreira or even Pepi aren't the starter by the end of the year if he continues to underwhelm. Still early and players are learning a new system but encouraging that four homegrowns got time.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  10. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree. Hard to believe he got any minutes at all for LAG so it appears they have definitely turned a page. Is this the year that young attacking Americans get minutes for the first time in years?

11. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    It does seem that Dennis Te Klose, the new GM, has quickly put his imprint on the team. They didn't even wait for Araujo to qualify as HG before signing him, even if that meant paying $ to get him off waivers. I'm sure he told Klein that situations like Mendez and Llanez would not happen under his watch.

12. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Its close. Those two are clearly neck and neck. Jacori provides a little more defensive solidity while Pax provides a little more attacking nous.
    See Carter Baum's lineup notes below. This Acosta/Pax/Jacori debate is one we're going to be having all season long.

https://www.fcdallas.com/post/2019/03/02/lineup-notes-fc-dallas-vs-new-england-revolution-3219

The first two attacking substitutions off the bench could be Homegrowns with Jesus Ferreira and Paxton Pomykal seeing their stock rise throughout the preseason, and in Pomykal's case being the last man cut from today's starting lineup. Edwin Cerrillo makes his first professional roster just over two weeks after signing as a Homegrown and John Nelson also makes his first pro roster after being selected No. 10 overall in January's SuperDraft.

13. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd like to see Pomykal show more.

He's beginning to look robotic. Needs to be more aggressive.

14. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I doubt Pepi gets a first team appearance this season. I see conflicting reports about when in 2003 he was born, but he's either 15 or recently turned 16. He has a number of players in front of him for playing time, and he's not signed to a first team contract.

15. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It seems far fetched but if he keeps scoring in buckets for the junior team, Badji and the Cobra are duds and he starts practicing with the big boys and looks the part I could see it. Really has more to do with the two veteran strikers. If a 16 year old can get minutes at LAG then it's possible elsewhere.

16. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Smart move by Red Bull. And Duncan is more than a promising prospect. In the 4 or 5 games he played last year, he was one of the best players on the team ... and then he got injured. Before that, it was obvious that he was going to be a regular starter based on his play. The guy is a good player. The only question is how close he is to being all the way back after the aforementioned injury.

Tom Collingsworth and xbhaskarx repped this.
  17. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Yup. Duncan was really impressing prior to his injury last year. He's hopefully going to provide real competition for Cannon, etc. with the Olympic team.

Too early to call anybody a "dud." :)

Pepi has never even appeared in a DA game for the U19s. And much of the competition he's banged goals against this preseason has been on the weaker end. [I mean, the Rayados aren't USL level.] Let's see what he can do against real USL teams this season, and then revisit this. If he has a good year at the USL level as a 15/16 year old in 2019 then he should be signed to an MLS deal next off-season.

Let's be somewhat patient here...…………..….

18. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    #43 ussoccer97531, Mar 3, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
    Robinson starts, Carleton on the bench. Atlanta is playing near a full choice lineup. They only made two changes. They are playing four games in eleven days (and three in six). When is de Boer going to rotate?

Durkin is on the opposite bench.

19. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    We’re biased here of course, but the lack of rotation seems irresponsible.

Pegasus repped this.
  20. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    So ATL start most of their "A team" and still are losing meanwhile they have an important game mid week early in the season also......

21. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    pity and gressel subs kind of self defeating for the midweek match too, especially in threes conditions

22. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    I don't have issues with not as much roster turnover early in the season with CCL matches as it's much more important to get rhythm rather than rest.

SKC is starting their A lineup as well.

deejay and Starman* repped this.
  23. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    old jeff about to be third sub for atlanta so no carleton despite them being down 2

bballshawn repped this.
  24. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    So how i this guy different fro m tata? at least tata won

25. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    No different. Take the player out that Carleton would be replacing, bring in a defensive midfielder down 2-0.