YNT-eligible MLS players: 2019 In-season Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Balerion, Mar 2, 2019.

1. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    How does that compare to the Adams and Davies deal?

That seems very high for a player who has yet to appear in MLS. I’m not complaining though. I’ve always been a big fan of Scally. People can nitpick about this or that, but the kid is consistently a difference maker against players his own age and has looked reliable with the first team. I can’t say I’m surprised about this deal. Do we now have a young American at every big club in Germany? I think Bayer Leverkusen is the only club missing.

USSoccerNova repped this.
  2. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Very good business from NYCFC. Love it.

Its how its supposed to work in an ideal scenario for all involved.
    MLS clubs sign these youngsters to deals, and then sell them if the right fee comes along at 18. Even if they've never gotten into an MLS game.

It looks like NYCFC got more up front than FCD got for Chris Richards (which was about 1.2 million). NYCFC got performance "escalators." FCD got a big future sell-on transfer clause.

Tactical Hipster and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  3. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    BMG has some recent context for moves like this. In 2018 they paid Midtjylland several million Euros for a Danish '99 LB, who I don't believe has appeared for the first team yet, and a bit less (but same ballpark) to Spurs for an English-German '99 wing, ditto.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  4. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Yes, but that involves his parents moving to Mexico for non-soccer reasons which, technically, anyone from any country can do. Since the topic was getting a contract with a Mexican team I am just assuming that non-soccer reasons are out of scope.

5. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I respect that position but if it were my 14 year old and he really wanted to do it then I would say ok but keep your grades decent and save all of it for college. In any case, this seems to be a cultural issue in the US. There are many developed countries were at 14 a kid can already opt for vocational training. It seems to be frowned upon here. "College or bust".

Mahtzo1 repped this.
  6. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Adams’s deal can’t be compared to others really. It’s going to the same pockets and is set up for NYRB to get allocation money again (whether allocation money is actually a thing in the future) when Leipzig sells Tyler.

Davies is the gold standard of HG transfers, but this Scally deal and the Durkin loan-buy offer shows the value of young and not even fully proven MLS players is increasing quickly.

Better come with a $10 million offer at least if you want Pomykal.

gogorath, Dr.Phil and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  7. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I don’t see what I’m missing here. Don’t a lot of Mexican-American players his age move to Mexico without their parents?

8. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is still some debate about that. There have been some intermittent reports that USSF has been denying the move. If the family moves, no problem. It's a pretty inconsistent pattern.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  9. Luksarus

Luksarus Member

United States
    Jul 27, 2018
    WheezingUSASupport and autobus39 repped this.
  10. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    That is the ideal position.

Realistically, it should also apply in his situation as well. even if the family is in dire straits (I don't know that it is), I would expect that he could easily save the majority of his earnings and still contribute in a significant and meaningful way to his family, He may or may not be college material but even if he isn't that extra money could be used for vocational training if his soccer career hits a dead end.. 20k/year for four years is a cool 80k. That would be a pretty conservative est I think and would go a long way toward his college and or career expenses.

11. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    Agree. I am a teacher and everything at our school is aimed toward 4 year college. I tell the kids that what is important is where they end up...not where they begin. I also tell them that regardless of what their future holds (college then career or something else) the most important thing is to get training after highschool. (ie if you are going to be a mechanic, go to school and earn the certifications...don't just get a job at the corner garage and learn on the job without getting the certs.

Panache and USSoccerNova repped this.
  12. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NoHammiesAltidore repped this.
  13. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    WheezingUSASupport and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  14. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #2764 Clint Eastwood, Nov 15, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
    I doubt he'll end up going to one of those clubs. I don't doubt, however, that there's Euro interest.....................and he'll go. Once offers come in, clubs go into "maximizing the deal" mode. And hopefully they also learned their lesson from the EPB saga.
    1195170675213950976 is not a valid tweet id

Pegasus, autobus39 and ussoccer97531 repped this.