YNT-eligible MLS players: 2019 In-season Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Balerion, Mar 2, 2019.

1. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    We dont' necessarily know what's going on. They may not have offered that kind of deal to Cannon, but they could tomorrow. Who knows? I'm not going to worry about it.

Even if they don't offer that deal, its not a blunder. In a salary capped league you have to make these kinds of hard decisions. Are you going to pay a right back that kind of big contract when:

A) you've got the cheaper next generation ready to go
    B) you've been fielding calls from Europe about him.
    C) he's a right back.. Not a goal-scorer. Not a playmaker. A right back.

I don't know an FCD fan that doesn't adore Reggie Cannon. He's everything you'd want a homegrown player to be. We'd all love him to stay. But...…….………….he's a right back. 2 goals and 1 assist this season. And he's going to be gone with various national teams a lot next season (U23s, USMNT). If there's a Euro team willing to pay market value for him, and Reggie wants to go, then it works for all involved. Hugs and kisses all around. Happy ending.

Heck, I'm not against selling Pax if the right offer comes in January. New contract or not. Neither am I against selling Jesus Ferreira.

If you're an assembly line club, you have to keep the assembly line moving.

TCS35 repped this.
  2. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    NE has taken the steps to be serious about youth development. A USL team and a fully funded residency program.

dougtee repped this.
  3. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Congrats to the Sounders on another MLS Cup triumpth!
    Hopefully next year they'll integrate the youngsters a little bit more.
    There could be quite a bit of roster turnover there.

What I was thinking about while watching that game was how the young FC Dallas group stood toe-to-toe with Seattle in the opening round. Could easily have won that game as I thought they were the better team down the stretch. They had their chances................................

TCS35, WheezingUSASupport and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  4. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seattle really had a way of hanging in with opponents who had their foot on the gas and hitting goals against the run of play. Just a lot of individual attacking quality and team defending that could keep the score low (maybe not against FCD but against everyone else).

5. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--

6. Runhard

Runhard Member+

Barcelona
    United States
    Jul 5, 2018
    That's bad news for Bryan Reynolds and Bonilla. Reggie took off his first full year but this year he seems like an average to above average MLS back which is to say not really good enough for a big European move. Hopefully he can pick up his game some and make the move in the next few years.

7. Luksarus

Luksarus Member

United States
    Jul 27, 2018
    #2732 Luksarus, Nov 11, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2019

Another boy from the academy signs a professional contract. I think it is an unnecessary signing since he is a very young and is a goalkeeper (usually young goalkeepers are not given many opportunities with the first team). I saw that he had some mistakes with the U-14 team in the international tournament, but I have't seen other games, therefore, I will not judge him for 2 games.

8. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I think its unnecessary, but as long as the kid doesn't get a big head being a professional at age 14, I don't see what the player or team loses with this signing. He's not going to play with the first team the next few seasons, so they aren't going to throw him in there at age 15. He'll play for the U-15's, U-17's and U-19's the next few years. He probably won't even train with the first team all that often.

Luksarus repped this.
  9. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    I've been a little skeptical of Gonzalez's reporting, especially when it came to Dest.

Stejskal first reported the England interest and he has far more of a track record than Gonzalez.

10. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    The signing kind of screams we don't want him poached by a LigaMX club. Now this is where having your own USL team comes in handy, as now he'll take up a roster spot despite not being ready for years.

STANDFAST repped this.
  11. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Thats what I initially thought, but I don't think that makes sense either. What is a LigaMX club going to offer him? He's not going to be paid at 14, unless 14 year olds in Mexico get first team contracts. Are the facilities better? If he's signing a first team contract with SJ, clearly he must know he's highly rated by the club.

The only explanation relating to that would be that he much prefers to play in Mexico, but aside from that, I don't see a 14 year old being poached by a LigaMX team. It seems a few years too early for that. We haven't even heard about serious LigaMX interest for 03's like Gomez, Pepi, Cuevas, and they are two years older than Ochoa, and the highest caliber of prospects. It's still to be seen if Ochoa will even be that good.

I wouldn't be surprised if this signing had something to do with the kid's family needing the money. I'm purely speculating and have no actual idea if his family needs 40-50k extra per year that badly, but for a lot of families around the country, that can make a big difference. Clearly the club rates the kid highly, otherwise they aren't going to hand him a pro contract, but it could very well be that they don't consider him as a professional option for the first team for 2-3 more years, and they are simply doing one of the higher rated kids in their academy (that they think will eventually play for the first team) a favor.

WheezingUSASupport, Luksarus and Mahtzo1 repped this.
  12. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    Sometimes it is easy to underestimate how much of a difference something like that can make. It may be a relatively small amount of money for a professional contract but compared to nothing (which would be expected at 14) and for one to three or more years before his first expected contract is huge. Instead of struggling for 2 or three more years, that contract could be the difference that gives their family some financial stability.

Winoman, ussoccer97531 and Kombucha repped this.
  13. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Well........................its almost two months until a transfer window opens.
    We probably won't hear about anything for a little while.

We know there's been "interest" from abroad. That's been reported by reliable sources since the run up to the summer transfer window. How serious has the "interest" been and from where have actual transfer offers come? We don't know. This guy's tweet can be right that there's "nothing going on" right now. That can change in a matter of a phone call.

What I do know is that Reggie is capable of playing in Europe on a much, much higher salary than he's on now. If FCD isn't going to give him a ginormous pay increase (due to salary cap constraints or whatever) then the parties should work together to find an opportunity abroad. That's the likely outcome here.

Buzz wrote a column at the beginning of this MLS season about the "homegrown bubble" that FCD was going to experience at the end of the season. They have a whole bunch of homegrown players that have earned huge pay increases/contract extensions. Cannon, Pomykal, Ferreira. Even if they wanted to keep them all, and the players wanted to stay, they can't do so within their current framework. After his contract extension, Pomykal is the highest paid player on the team if the reported number is right (~ish. He might be tied with Acosta). He's making DP money. I don't know if he'll officially be a DP, or they're paying it down with TAM or whatever. Obviously, there's a limit to how many players you can do that for. You can't do it for all three. I think Matt Hedges is also on a paid-down DP contract.

Anyway, this is part of the problem if you're going to be a developmental club that's producing an assembly line of players. They're going to try to resolve these three cases this off-season, but then you've got Servania and Roberts to deal with next off-season as they presumably enter their option years. Servania could be a USMNTer by then if he advances like we want him to. If Roberts progresses like we want him to, he could be an MLS first team regular (taking Jacori Hayes' minutes next season). And of course they're presumably revisiting Reynolds next year too.........................

So year after year after year after year they have to figure out who to extend to big money deals within the confines of a salary cap. And who they're just going to have to let go of......................

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  14. Kombucha

Kombucha Member+

Jul 1, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    50K is more than the median household income in Salinas. Lots of agricultural workers making 20K-25K a year around there. Signing this contract even if it is the bare minimum is likely life changing for his family.

Speculating, but San Jose could have have signed him because the family needs the resources for Ochoa to continue training with the team. Not free to get to and from Salinas to San Jose on an almost daily basis.

15. Brotheryoungbuck

Jan 24, 2015
    parts unknown
    I think this guy talks out of his ass a lot. Brian Sciaretta is gold standard for me, and he just said that he’s confirmed independently that there IS interest on the TSS Podcast. Whether there’s a transfer or not I’d say for sure there’s smoke to this.

16. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    What I would say is that the signs are good that under this San Jose regime they're going to invest more in youth.

Other clubs have gone thru growing pains already in terms of their initial waves of homegrowns. Knowing who to sign and when to sign them is a fairly difficult challenge. Clubs like FCD, NYRB, LAG, etc. had little success with their initial waves for a myriad of reasons. Maybe they were signing the wrong kids or didn't have the development pathway worked out for them.

Point being that we see good signs out of San Jose and a youth movement, but they seem to have a ways to go to figure out first team opportunities. And when you're a 14 year old keeper, how many years are you from even being given a chance at first team playing time?

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  17. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I think that Gonzalez reports everything he hears. Some journalists try to get the most reliable info and then release it, and some report anything they hear. I think Gonzalez reports anything he hears.

18. STANDFAST

STANDFAST Member

United States
    Jun 8, 2018
    If FCD is only going to promote the small number of academy players that they sign to contracts, that pipeline to Europe will look more like a garden hose.

19. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    it is true nationwide. In larger cities, even if they are making more money (which is not always the case), the cost of housing can be huge. I live in So Cal and it is amazing how much housing costs...even in the "low rent" districts.

20. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    He can't leave to Mexico unless he lives near the border and then only to a border team like Tijuana.

21. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I don’t understand. Are you saying he couldn’t move to Mexico? Why is that? Isn’t he Mexican-American? I believe he’d qualify as a domestic player in any Mexican academy.

22. STANDFAST

STANDFAST Member

United States
    Jun 8, 2018
    I will pass on using my talented 14 yr old son to make financial ends meet. The pressure of trying to "make it" as a professional AND the responsibility of being a provider for the family is a non-starter for me at that age. If he has a couple bad matches he will be a basket case. A 14 yr old doesn't have the emotional maturity to deal with that situation.

Mahtzo1 and Runhard repped this.
  23. Runhard

Runhard Member+

Barcelona
    United States
    Jul 5, 2018
    That's a good point. While I agree in some families it may be very much needed to make ends meet, can you imagine the pressure on a kid? Your parents asking if you started this week and how you played not in general interest but because they are hopeful you can keep putting food on their table. And you are 14.

24. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    #2749 Mahtzo1, Nov 12, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
    I don't have any idea how you and your family are financially but I respect your position. The reality, however, is that there are already many (or at least some) 14 year olds that are already contributing to their family by working....either by working with their parents or by contributing a portion of their earnings from another job. (I understand that 14 is below the legal age for this to happen but it doesnt' stop it.

Also, while there may be a great deal of pressure in a situation like that, I feel that there is also a great deal of satisfaction and pride in knowing that the kid is able to help contribute in an extremely meaningful way. If given the choice between playing and contributing to the family, playing and putting the family in an even worse situation financially or possibly not playing....and give up the dream of playing professionally, the choice that is best for the kid's psyche becomes a bit more murkier. If he plays but the family has to make serious sacrifices and he then feels guilty. If he plays and gets paid, he feels the pressure (because the family is now counting on him) and if he quits, he loses out on what could have been....

Edit: the last choice is that the kid gets a pro contract but doesn't contribute anything financially. That is not a problem at all if the family can afford it but I can see it causing issues if the family is still making sacrifices toward the kids success. That could cause real issues in the family.

If it were me and my kid got a contract for 40-50k (or whatever), I wouldn't take any of it. I might require that he invest most of it for his future. We aren't rich, but we have enough money so that we don't need to ask for his financial support. For me, it is an easy decision.

25. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010