YNT-eligible MLS players: 2019 In-season Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Balerion, Mar 2, 2019.

1. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's refreshing to see young american attacking players getting minutes in MLS. Over the past few years, there's just been absolutely none. One thing that's always depressed me is how few YNT goals and assists there are.

2. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I think the quality of these teenage players in the league right now is a heck of a lot higher than they were only three years ago. There were always the couple of kids with really high ceilings. The numbers of them now are a lot higher. I mean, the skill level of a Pomykal and Ferreira is muuuuuuuuuuuuch higher than of Danny Garcia and Coy Craft. Not particularly close.

I also think there's a lot going on behind the scenes with the callups to the U20s that we're not privy to. We're saying "why aren't Aaronson, Sands, etc." with the US U20s? Well, how do we know that Tab didn't call clubs about these players? Only to be turned down as they were needed by their MLS clubs. I mean, FCD could/should have 6 or 7 U20 players in their 18 next week. They're needed. Not a single one at the U20 camp. [Other than former academy players Richards and Cappis.]

There's also been a clear attitude shift in the league regarding young players. I don't know whether this was a "behind closed doors" mandate from the league office. Somehow I doubt it. It was just a decision made by a bunch of coaching staffs and front offices at around the same time. And I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that the first round of clubs to really do it (NYRB, RSL, FCD) showed that you can win and provide minutes to youngsters at the same time. There are still clubs that lag behind, like in every league, but we should be really encouraged by what we're seeing in 2019.

WheezingUSASupport and bballshawn repped this.
  3. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Every case is different, though.

The Cannon and Pomykal cases were pretty different, for instance. Last season FCD was loaded with central midfielders, and in fact homegrown central midfielders: Acosta and Ulloa. A USMNT pool central midfielder and a guy who'd led the team in minutes during their SS-winning season. These were really popular players amongst FCD fans. And their #10 was the best player on the team until he was sold (former MLS MVP Mauro Diaz). When last season started we knew minutes were going to be tough to come by. Pomykal's injury early in the season didn't help. While he was out, Jacori Hayes emerged as a viable MLS-caliber player. [Turnabout is fair play. Hayes did start the first game of the season. Not Pax. Then it was Hayes that went down with an injury, and its Pomykal's turn to win the role.] Pax's problem was really just a numbers game at his position.

Over the past year and a half the club has chosen to sell, trade, or release a host of players...................freeing up playing time for their young and talented central midfielders. Not just Pomykal, but the others as well.

We've been thru the Cannon situation a million times. That wasn't a case of competition at the position being a problem. We don't need to rehash it. "Most" FCD fans feel he should have gotten more playing time the year before last.

Then again, not all young players should be on the same schedule. Its up to the coaching staff and front office to determine a schedule that works for their individual player. It doesn't do any good to rush a player into first team soccer if the staff doesn't think he's ready. You also have to be fair to the rest of the team. The other guys in the locker room know if playing the young kid is giving them their best chance to win. You're not starting Servania over Grueso for the sake of it. Everybody knows Grueso is the better player.

4. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I think you missed the point.

No one is suggesting that Griffin Dorsey or Lagos Kunga should be starters. When fans call for players like Cannon, Pomykal, Carleton, Robinson, Trusty, Sands, Lewis, Alvarez, Durkin to play more, its because they've seen them play enough to think that they'd be very likely to have success as regular starters. The fact that almost every one of those who has been given a big role has been very good in that role speaks to the lack of quality of MLS.

This is not a discussion about if these players should get more minutes at Barcelona at Real Madrid. The bar for a player of any nationality to play for NYCFC or FC Dallas is not very high.

5. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I think the baseline of talent has gone up in our soccer culture. I always thought that when that happens you have a better chance of "unknown" players becoming important national team players. You see players from spain breakout all the time (Now i sound like giggsy) that you've never heard of before. I think that is because so many players have a great baseline skillset like good first touch and passing ability. I think you are starting to see that in America, its probably why we have a lot of "tweener" midfielders. Now we just need some dribbling wingers like brazil.

6. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
  7. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    A 50-man preliminary roster could (theoretically) be a good thing for several guys/late bloomers if health/availability/form become big issues for Ramos. Aaronson could certainly be one of those guys -- why not? (I'm sure Philly would love to have him in the mix!)

8. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    The all-touches video of Paxton against Columbus is really telling. I didn't see the game, so really can't speak to the overall performance. What's interesting about the all-touches video is his tackling ability and just.....................instincts for breaking up the opponent's attack. It seems that he's really suited for the role that Luchi has him in right now. He's got Grueso behind him to clean up any messes, which probably provides a bit of comfort as well.

As we've talked about, we'd like to see more key passes in the opponent's third. FCD's stats on the year are interesting. Tons of possession, few "key" passes. Very few shots on goal.

9. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    I can’t do the maths...is Aaronson eligible for the 2021 U20 cycle?

10. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    No, he’s an ‘00. 2021 cycle is for players ‘01 or younger.

11. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Mario Balotelli repped this.
  12. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Negative, Ghostrider.

DOB 10/22/00

13. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Aaronson had a man of the match professional debut at 18. How often do you see that? I'm not too critical of Ramos on playing him because the YNT tournaments give late born even years the short end of the stick.

Tom Collingsworth and USSoccerNova repped this.
  15. Peter Bonetti

Peter Bonetti Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    1970 WC Quarterfinal
    Don’t get me wrong - Griffin Yow would have gotten signed regardless - but now that DCU has Loudoun United, they can sign players when it is right and know that, regardless of the competitive first team situation, they can have a solid pathway in front of them that includes playing competitive games against professionals. They didn’t have that before and they were letting all of their prospects - except the ones like Durkin who were 1st team ready - to other clubs where they could develop to their potential in another system. Kudos to DCU for finally doing the right thing and creating a second team. Without it, they might not have signed Bustamante or Pines (well, possibly Pines, but definitely not Bustamante). Regardless, all three will continue to get games within the DCU system.

On a related note - for those concerned about the quality of some USL games - I agree with that concern, but my guess is that is that the quality will dramatically change over the next 5 years. When I look at the quality of players being developed, even at the club that I coach at, the quality of the first team players are very, very high. The future looks bright as we continue to build our structure for these boys to play in.

My next wish for DCU? An under 23 team - as much for scouting players from other teams and recruiting as for playing players that have chosen to play college soccer. There are plenty of players in DCU’s region. They need to lock down the region as theirs when it comes to recruiting and an under 23 team would be a great recruiting tool toward that end - although I might be 5 years ahead of DCU on that one. Right now they will just be happy to get their Loudoun United stadium and club training center completed and their DA fully funded - no small tasks in the meantime!

16. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree wholeheartedly. I suspect that Michael Edwards would've been signed a year or two ago to a homegrown contract if the USL team was up and running. He played in preseason against Malmo, and then he was gone, and you really couldn't blame him. Now he's already training with the first team of a Bundesliga club. I'm sure DC would love to have that kind of player over a 33 year old Frenchman, and I'd sure as hell love watching him.

I think that MLS has been really pushing youth development directives with their clubs recently, and the USL affiliate is one direct offspring. With so many talented youth players publicly leaving MLS for places regarded as greener pastures, MLS looks like they want to change that. Having this pathway is a great way to persuade players to stay longer since it gives really talented players a place to play until 17-18 instead of them growing out of the DA at 16 and having nowhere to challenge themselves.

Take a look at NYCFC- they've got 4 American midfielders 21 and under, and only one of them is playing, because that's all they have room for in the first team. Scally isn't playing, either. Now they probably want to sign Tayvon Gray, but how are they supposed to convince a 17 year old kid to sign a contract with them when there's that many guys in front of him not playing anywhere else? MLS has got to be pushing them to get a reserve team, because their current system isn't sustainable if they want to be a leader in developing young Americans.

Also, if you don't mind me asking, is your point that you work at a USL club, and you see the quality of player improving?

Happy for you and other DC fans, though. Your team went from being a sh*tshow to being a model MLS franchise in about 2 years. Hopefully you can get the homegrown train going.

USSoccerNova repped this.
  17. Peter Bonetti

Peter Bonetti Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    1970 WC Quarterfinal
    I just work at a local youth club, but let me be clear - I see high level players coming out of the clubs that are mixed - both ethnic neighborhoods and traditional suburban neighborhoods. These clubs have money, combined with a steady supply of players that love soccer from a very, very young age.

Pure suburban clubs are very rich and win a lot of youth soccer games, but they tend to play big, strong/fast players who play ”sound tactically” on a basic level. Clubs that lack diversity don’t produce a lot of players with great potential, in my opinion. If they do, the player usually developed their play somewhere else. The rich, suburban thing still exists. Players need to develop in a culture that loves the game or else their development suffers the concequences - regardless of who the coach is - and there are some very good coaches at those clubs.

I just see a bunch of clubs that have a more mixed culture and those clubs are producing a surprising number of kids that play at a high level. THOSE players will increase the level of USL naturally as they get older.

Right now, there are a lot of legitimate concerns with the quality of USL play.

18. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    A lot more minutes coming for Fernandez this season. Although he was earning that.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  19. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Reggie is back..............

20. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
  21. USSoccerNova

USSoccerNova Member+

Sep 28, 2005
    Whether one personally rates Griffen Yow or not, what is incredibly important is that our cohort of top prospects has the ability to play up. That's not been the case in the past, but they can now do that in 46 markets, with USL working to expand to 80 in the coming years. The increasing professionalization of the entire developmental landscape, including substantive improvements in the lower professional leagues, is a primary reason that I'm incredibly bullish on our future prospects (with real, tangible senior-team improvement increasingly noticeable 3+ years out).

Tom Collingsworth, TxEx and don Lamb repped this.
  22. USSoccerNova

USSoccerNova Member+

Sep 28, 2005
    Thanks for sharing. This is pretty much what I've been expecting given increased investment, some positive structural changes and an ever growing soccer culture. Really enjoy reading posts like this and also find it somewhat validating to my long-held hypothesis that you're noticing an uptick in quality at the youth club level.

Peter Bonetti repped this.
  23. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Notable that in the DC release it says he's a September baby. I couldn't find his birthdate anywhere before, but to those of us who do this stuff, I think a player being this highly thought of in youth national teams and being born in the second half of the year is a really nice indicator for a player. I haven't been the biggest Yow fan, but I have to consider that there's something I'm seriously missing.

24. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I would also argue that the pool of youngsters capable of "playing up" is much higher than 5 or 10 years ago. Infinitely higher than 20 years ago. Pomykal is a better and more prepared youngster than Bryan Leyva or Alejandro Zendejas or Danny Garcia. Jesus Ferreira is a better prospect and more prepared for first team playing time than Ruben Luna or Coy Craft. The maturation of the, development academy has a lot to do with it. In FCDs case that doesn't have to do with the USL (as FCD didn't have a USL team until this season), but it certainly does with other organizations (NYRB, Philly, etc.)

People say "oh, MLS is giving more playing time to teenagers this season. They should have been doing this 5 years ago!!!" Well, the kids even five years ago weren't as ready to play at a first team level as they are now. Not just ready to play in MLS. Chris Richards goes on a pre-season tour with Bayern Munich, starts a first team friendly against PSG...………..and doesn't look out of place! That had nothing to do with Bayern Munich. That has to do with the training he received in Houston and Dallas.

Twenty years ago there were very few teenage prospects capable of playing at a professional level, even at the level MLS was back then. We complained about lack of playing time for kids then, but the kids were by and large completely unprepared. Not just for the soccer part, but for simply being professionals off the field as well. The clubs didn't have a clue how to work with them as human beings. Santino Quaranta has talked about that a lot. Bobby Convey lived in Bruce Arena's basement.

And let's also be clear that MLS organizations are much better at scouting and talent evaluation than they were in the past. Not to mention recruiting.

25. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    I think there’s three reasons why our young players are getting more minutes
    -They’re just better which you’ve pointed out
    -Coaches are playing them even if they’re not quite as good as their competition because they realize their potential
    -Sale of guys like Davies and Adams