YNT-eligible MLS players: 2019 In-season Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Balerion, Mar 2, 2019.

1. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Worth pointing out that in the Adams case, there really wasn't a transfer negotiation going on. RB Leipzig basically said "MINE" and a transfer was arranged. They paid a surprisingly low transfer fee for him.

FCD is in a different boat with Pomykal. Somebody has to actually submit a transfer bid. I haven't seen any reporting from reputable sources that transfer offers have ever been received for Pax. Maybe they have. I don't know.

FCD isn't developing young players as some sort of conveyor belt of free transfers to Europe. That's lunacy. If they're going to invest in this process, then they want to maximize their return. That's what the FCD GM is doing here. That's all.

The only people who wake up this morning that have cause for concern are probably Thomas Roberts, David Rodriguez, Tanner Tessman, and the others in the FCD midfield pipeline. Does this Pomykal deal make it more or less likely they'll be able to convince Tanner Tessman to sign?

Zamphyr and Luksarus repped this.
  2. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I lost this news in the wake of the Paxton Pomykal contract. Maybe I'm not the only one.

Miles Robinson also signed a contract extension yesterday.

3. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. twoolley

twoolley Member+

Jan 3, 2008
    TarHeels17 and TimB4Last repped this.
  5. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    From Goff

“While D.C. United continued its pursuit of Argentine midfielder Yamil Asad for long-term purposes Friday, the organization granted homegrown midfielder Chris Durkin’s request to play overseas right away by loaning him to Sint-Truiden in Belgium’s top division.

The deal will run until June, when the Belgian club will have the option to buy him for a transfer fee that people close to United say is $2.25 million. D.C. also would retain a 20 percent stake, meaning it would collect an additional payment should Sint-Truiden sell him in the future.”

6. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Confirms he got discriminated against because he was American. "They think we suck". We know it still happens.

Some clubs have a culture where it's not really an issue. Like I don't think it's a significant one at Ajax or Dortmund.

But I do think they were waiting to pounce on Pulisic at Chelsea, creating more pressure on him. And at an elitist South American club like Boca Juniors they were prejudging Acosta. It's not an environment that's conducive to succeed on average. Some develop chips on their shoulders that make them better, like a Dempsey. But generally negativity produces negative results.

However, this is why players for the U.S. used to perform better with the national team. They'd collectively want to come in and prove a point to the world. We need a manager, players, and fan base even who foster that environment. I don't sense we've had that for a while.

7. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's why I'd stay in northern Europe as a player unless I had deep roots there, like Rossi. Just no point in having to overcome an extra set of obstacles for no benefit.

8. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even Rossi was nicknamed "America" at Parma and it's how they defined him. I don't know how much that diminished once he repped the Italian national team. In England most people didn't seem to know he was American. It probably helped lighten the pressure a little. Improved chances of a favorable outcome in his career, sad to say.

9. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--

KUSA77, butters59, Luksarus and 4 others repped this.
  10. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Not that a Spanish passport would confine Leyva to Spain, but he feels like a Spanish CDM in his game. Though Americans haven't had a lot of luck there.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  11. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I compare him to Spanish international Thiago Alcantara (Brazilian origin).

gogorath repped this.
  12. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Lots of work by Jamie in his twitter feed going on statistics from the MLS regular season. I know he's on Big Soccer. Great work my friend! Worth pointing out that FCD and RSL probably lapped the field when it came to homegrown minutes. [By the way, an FCD insider type told me that RSL probably finished ahead of FCD in terms of homegrown minutes. But John Nelson's ~500 minutes may have pushed FCD over RSL on this board in terms of thread-eligible minutes. We'll have to see those final numbers at some point.]

deejay, Pl@ymaker, xbhaskarx and 6 others repped this.
  13. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Transfermarkt seems to be under the impression that Nyeman has already been signed by DC and loaned to Loudon. Screen Shot 2019-10-14 at 2.03.56 PM.png

14. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Youngsters up for year end awards in MLS.
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019...share_button&utm_campaign=social_share_button

Defender of the Year Finalists
    • Ike Opara (Minnesota United)
    • Miles Robinson (Atlanta United)
    • Walker Zimmerman (LAFC)
    AT&T Rookie of the Year Finalists
    • Brenden Aaronson (Philadelphia Union)
    • Hassani Dotson (Minnesota United)
    • Andre Shinyashiki (Colorado Rapids)
    For this award, “rookie” is defined as a player without previous professional experience who made his MLS debut in 2019.

15. Runhard

Runhard Member+

Barcelona
    United States
    Jul 5, 2018
    Andre giving hope to the guys coming out of college they don't have to sign HG straight as teenagers. He was incredible at Denver University and it carried right over to the MLS.

deejay and Thundering165 repped this.
  16. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lalas from the Crew might fetch a million dollar transfer after being the 5th pick in the draft. Just saying there is value in the draft. Not a ton and its not easy to find but its there.

TimB4Last repped this.
  17. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas

18. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
  19. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Let’s hope they do a better job as an MLS team of integrating academy players to the first team. They’ve done a horrendous job of that in USL, and that’s probably why most of the good players have signed in Europe.

20. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Then let's hope not!

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  21. Peter Bonetti

Peter Bonetti Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    1970 WC Quarterfinal
    Great point.

The current academy is mostly a partnership with an existing youth club in name for publicity purposes. They would need to develop an academy mostly from scratch if they want something useful - and they need something useful because of their market size and location. IMO, Sacramento can’t sustain a competitive team unless they figure out how to consistently develop players - and the existing youth system in Sacramento is less developed than in a lot of other urban areas.

Will they try to become another Portland or another Real Salt Lake?

eneste and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  22. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I think they have the best academy outside of the MLS teams, but so many of their best players head to Europe. @ChuckMe92 has made this point a number of times recently.

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  23. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    I read this all on the interwebs, so take it FWIW. Rumor is that part of the hold up was divvying up some of the territory with the Quakes. Apparently Reno will move to be a Sac affiliate and Fresno to the Quakes ... apparently some youth teams in the area with previous relationships with Quakes are moving to do the same with Sacramento now.

It seems like they are focusing somewhat there, and frankly, they are likely to need to do so to compete. I think the area they will get will have players.

Peter Bonetti repped this.
  24. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    WheezingUSASupport repped this.
  25. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas

“Coming off the Colorado game, I was dealing with some pain in my groin and lower abs. We took a couple days to manage that,” Pomykal said. “I came back into training one or two days before the [SKC] game. I was available. It was their decision whether they wanted to play me or not. But we scored six goals, so it made my job real easy not having to come in.”

Pomykal was a full participant last week in training as FCD began preparing for their first playoff appearance under rookie coach Luchi Gonzalez.