YNT-eligible MLS players: 2019/2020 Offseason thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Nov 18, 2019.

1. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very unexpected move for Gio at this point in his career!

2. Runhard

Runhard Member+

Barcelona
    United States
    Jul 5, 2018
    HA. My mistake. Yea, not sure Dortmund to MLS is a way to advance your career. Claudio Reyna is now running things in Austin.

TimB4Last repped this.
  3. Runhard

Runhard Member+

Barcelona
    United States
    Jul 5, 2018
    Make that Claudio, not Gio. Hopefully Gio stays in Europe until he retires with Champions League titles, High Finishes in the WC and an EPL or Bundesliga Title.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  4. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Especially when he would be selecting the players instead of being one. Would lose out on formative development.

5. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    The five kids over there are Pepi, Roberts, Cerrillo, Rodriguez, and Reynolds.

The staff is over there as well. [That's the Bayern coach Hans Flick.]

autobus39, TxEx, Winoman and 3 others repped this.
  6. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    By the way, Pepi appears to be in a boot.....……………….(don't what that first pick was supposed to be.)

Also, love this:

7. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Peter Bonetti and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  8. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sebastian Saucedo seemed to indicate on Instagram a month ago that he would be leaving RSL.

9. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    DC United is a terribly run club. They were playing a kid they were about to sign to a HG deal out of position in USL for half the season to accommodate a player they were about to release. At the time, you could've given the club the benefit of the doubt and said one player was on the books at the first team and the other wasn't, but given what they did with their end of season transactions, it makes them look like a terribly run club.

10. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It makes them look like? They ARE a terribly run club.

11. Brotheryoungbuck

Jan 24, 2015
    parts unknown
    You watched them plenty more than I did this year but I watched a few of the games and when I went to one of the Loudoun games and I got the impression they played him deep so he wouldn’t get crushed by the grown men. I mean I’m not saying you’re wrong but I felt like there was some merit to that idea, because compared to the people played he really was tiny, my girlfriend thought he was a ball boy playing a joke by standing on the pitch before the game. Also even as the 6 he was a trivela I mean that’s basically a 10, he was tasked with almost nothing defensively. But I will say there was very little point in playing Bustamante at the 10 he’s the kind of player that I think if he creates a career in soccer it will probably be at fullback.

don Lamb repped this.
  12. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #37 autobus39, Nov 24, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
    The below are from an international break friendly with Bayern Munich II against the Augsburg first team. Bryan Reynolds started while Edwin Cerrillo and Thomas Roberts came off the bench.

twoolley and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  13. kinznk

kinznk Member

Feb 11, 2007
    Atencio signed a USL deal with Tacoma last off season.

14. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Don't you think a player would face more of a challenge as a holding midfielder than a central attacking midfielder? More headers to contest for, more challenges you need to put in, more defending to do. While I agree that Nyeman wasn't tasked as playing a destroyer style #6 role, nor do I think he's capable of that in a professional game, there's still a lot more defending to be done in that role than a double 10 role or a lone 10 role (DC either played a 4-3-3 with a 6 and two 10's or a 4-2-3-1 with two 6's and a lone 10 every game).

Brotheryoungbuck repped this.
  15. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I know that. Do you think he's going to be content on a USL deal for this season?

16. kinznk

kinznk Member

Feb 11, 2007
    I wasn't sure you knew as you said he's too good to go to college and that ship has already sailed. IDK what the Sounders plans are with these young players. They have made mention they want them to, perhaps, go on loans or sell them. Hopefully, they can move some of these kids when they are old enough. The )@ will be 18 soon. They rejected a move for Sam Rogers to Standard Liege as they valued him more than what SL was offering. IDK how good Rogers is other than he's been to some camps and SL offered something. They could have signed him when Torres went out for 10 games but didn't. So I don't know what their plan is.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  17. Brotheryoungbuck

Jan 24, 2015
    parts unknown
    I don’t think you’re wrong, I’m not sure what the best thing to do is I’m no pro coach. Mostly I just don’t think he’d play the 10 if Bustamante wasn’t there for that team.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  18. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Danny Acosta was picked by the Galaxy as part of the waiver process. I guess that's kind of interesting.

Pl@ymaker and autobus39 repped this.
  19. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

H/T @Balerion in Yanks Abroad

Cole Bassett will (or has) be spending a week training with the Arsenal U-23s.

The Denver Post article as includes the following (I know Freiburg's Bassett interest was reported previously):
    "Last winter Bassett and Sam Vines trained with Freiburg of the German Bundesliga. Freiburg eventually offered a transfer on each, which spurred other offers for the young local duo."

20. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    #45 ussoccer97531, Nov 26, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
  21. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would expect Andres Jasson to get a deal soon as well. Both need a USL club as the DA is below their level like Sands was at this point.

22. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    They are going to need to make Scally, Sands, Haak and Gray work with one pro team this season. Gray may spend most of the season with the U-19’s (partly because of the other three), but you have to think the other three are first team players, and all defensive types that fill similar positions this upcoming season.

Sands will likely play, but they cannot have another season where Scally and Haak don’t get any professional minutes.

USSoccerNova repped this.
  23. Kombucha

Kombucha Member+

Jul 1, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    Scally is already sold, so at least part of the logjam will work itself out after next season.

WheezingUSASupport and TimB4Last repped this.
  24. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Yes, and we've just been told that Sands might move as well ...

25. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    They are adding a USL team in 2021, so the logjam will be this season. After that, the players who are down the pecking order can be playing regularly in the reserves instead of U-19’s. Sands could also be gone after another season. He might be gone before another full season is up.