YNT-Eligible MLS Players: 2018 In-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Feb 20, 2018.

1. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  2. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Transfermarkt usually doesn't account for MLS' super secretive, kept behind a safe in an underground bunker protected by armed guards information on team option years.

Carleton's contract could be up in Dec.

Or ATL might have options thru Dec 2020.

3. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. No one was confusing him with being a future superstar, but he was a good player who had NT potential if he kept improving.

4. Kombucha

Kombucha Member+

Jul 1, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    No link, but 99% sure the team has 2 option years on Carleton’s contract.

This is also a standard MLS HGP deal. 3 years with 2 years of team options.

5. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't see the big issue with his contract. They don't think he's good enough to play a regular back up role. They like Kratz and Vazquez instead. Thats their choice, but don't keep him against his will for two years when thats the choice you are making.

6. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don’t really understand why everyone is 100% sure Almiron will be sold. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if he was still with Atlanta next season

Sandon Mibut and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  7. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    TheFalseNine repped this.
  8. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    Couldn’t agree more. Sell the kid off if a decent offer comes in and don’t hold him hostage.

What’s sad, is that same article mentions Almiron might play in the next open cup game...which would punt Carleton to the bench, in all likelihood.

9. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WheezingUSASupport and TheFalseNine repped this.
  10. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Thats exactly what I thought.

I want Almiron to play on Wednesday because I suspect it means Carleton won't start in the Cup match.

11. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Carleton not making the bench after the open cup goal in combination with Almiron being bangd up all while traveling with the first team is confusing.

Yeah, there doesn't seem to be a clear plan with Carleton. That's concerning.

Maybe Carleton just isn't that good. I'd sure like to see it for myself, though.

12. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    Been an exciting last two weeks of young USMNT players getting starts or sub minutes.

It felt like these guys had more of an impact last weekend though, but a lot of that has to do with 4 of these players all being on RSL.

The more these guys get minutes, the better chance we get a quality USMNT first team player.

13. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #1038 Clint Eastwood, Jun 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
    FCD is conducting a camp with their NCAA players. This camp is being run by former FCD midfielder and new academy coach Michel. Gives us some ideas about potential upcoming homegrown signings (as well as future FCDII signings). Best guesses are Brandon Terwege, Eddie Monjoma, and Ben Hale. All former USYNTers of course. The Salas brothers are both former USYNTers as well. Martin Salas seems to have really dropped off. He was capped at every level from U15 to U20, but now barely plays at UNC. I don't know the reason, but he had a significant injury in 2016.

14. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    1006603104589111296 is not a valid tweet id

15. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #1040 Clint Eastwood, Jun 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
    I thought this was an interesting statistic regarding the opposition. Just a little food for thought.................and analysis. 11 players developed by Saprissa at the World Cup. Players who signed their first pro contracts with an MLS squad at the World Cup? Zero? Point being that listed has a few World Powers, but its not a list just of the Man City, Real Madrid, Bayern Munich, Juventus types of clubs.

Winoman repped this.
  16. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    Carlos Salcedo with RSL.

17. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's interesting, but I don't think it really means much. The only conclusion I take away from it is that the clubs at the top have a monopoly on development in their home countries (and perhaps have gotten lucky).

18. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Rodney Wallace.

19. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    To me he looked ahead of the Zardes curve.

20. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Could be. I never saw Zardes at/around the same age when he was in college. For the heck of it, I dug up some CSUB highlights on YouTube. Enjoy...

21. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Is Zardes the all-time leading scorer for MLS homegrowns?

It must be close between Gyasi, Fagundez, and Agudelo.

The leading homegrown goalscorer in MLS last season? Folks would probably have to think a long time about that one..................before they got to Anthony Jackson-Hamel of Montreal.

Leading homegrown goalscorers by year...................
    upload_2018-6-13_9-41-38.png
    Seems like Gyasi has this one in the bag for 2018 [Unless somebody like Alphonso Davies goes on a scoring run. Not out of the question.]. People talk a lot about what Gyasi doesn't do instead of talking about what makes him a excellent MLS-level player. And he's just now entering his prime as a 26 year old.

22. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    I channeled my inner creep and looked at Carleton’s Instagram, he hasn’t put anything up on his whereabouts. Not sure if he’s with ATL or ATL 2 (both play today). He’ll probably make the bench for ATL, not get into the game, and not play anywhere at all today. #development

23. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zades is proably going to reach 50 caps but he would be an automatic in the 23 for the full national team for the next 4 years or so if he wasn't just slightly technically below par.

24. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    THe issue is there are very few young goal-scorers on the way.
    We talk a lot on this thread about appearances for our thread-eligible youngsters.
    But when you actually look at goals/assists, its a sobering number. What youngster is on the way to take the place of Zardes in the pool.

I think the leading thread eligible goal-scorer in MLS is a tie between a couple of guys at 1 goal. Cannon, Saucedo, and company.

Kids are getting a lot of appearances, but they're not forwards. Where are the target forwards? Even the guys we complain about in terms of a lack of minutes aren't target forwards. They're wingers and attacking midfielders.

And its not like we can say this is a long-term problem. MLS clubs gave more minutes to attacking youngsters in the past than they did to defenders. Now all of a sudden the most minutes are given to the defenders and central midfielders. That's great, and we need those too. It just seems like there's a dearth of target forwards all across our pool regardless of age right now. Better hope Josh Sargent develops.....................

Sandon Mibut and comoesa repped this.
  25. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are very few YNT-eligible attackers getting minutes in MLS, period.

449 - Saucedo
    392 - Bwana [not yet a citizen]
    183 - Toye
    90 - Mines
    90 - Fontana
    31 - Vazquez
    27 - Lewis
    22 - Pomykal
    13 - Brewer
    12 - Carleton

That's it. Yueill has 486 minutes if you count him as an attacker, which I don't.

No bueno.