YNT-Eligible MLS Players: 2018 In-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Feb 20, 2018.

1. Tactical Hipster

Dec 23, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like Cannon might be one of those players Pareja wants to take to Tijuana?

2. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully not. I'd rather he go to Europe when he can. That might mean another year in Dallas and then a move to the Eredivisie/Bundesliga, but I'm totally alright with that.

TCS35, ussoccer97531, Panache and 3 others repped this.
  3. Runhard

Runhard Member+

Barcelona
    United States
    Jul 5, 2018

that would be terrible for Reggie. he has a higher ceiling than Liga MX and would be wasting his time there. If FCD won't sell him to Europe now he should play out his contract and go to Europe when it is done.

Pegasus, ussoccer97531 and Panache repped this.
  4. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    "You know what? You take your old adage about a bird in hand being worth two in the bush and you stick it where the sun don't shine. That's what." -- BigSoccer Axiom

ChrisSSBB and Dirt McGirt repped this.
  5. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Completely agree. His ceiling is higher than Mexico.

It should be noted that FCD doesn't have to sell anybody to Pareja and Tijuana. Folks are acting like its a foregone conclusion that a bunch of players are going to follow him (not on this particular board).

As I said earlier in these threads, the current FCD window has closed. Does Reggie want to be part of what looks now like a rebuilding process? How does that help his development?

Reggie has done just about everything right over the last several years. A great team player. Didn't whine and complain two seasons ago while rooted to the bench. If a great offer comes in that Reggie wants to pursue, FCD should sell him. Liga MX or not. They've got cover. Hollingshead can start at an MLS level, and Reynolds is being developed there too. Should be ready for action next season. Keep the assembly line moving.........................

I just can't believe that the best offer would come from Mexico. Doesn't really compute to me, particularly as Reggie will count as a foreign player in that league. Would love for him to make his way to Germany.

Patrick167 and TCS35 repped this.
  6. Sup Bro

Sup Bro Member+

Oct 26, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He’s due for a big raise. Gotta wonder how high FC Dallas is willing to go, and if would be enough to put down transfer rumors.

7. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    FCD fans have been talking about this for a while. It would not surprise me if FCD has offered Reggie a contract extension with a big raise. They have the salary cap space. Or maybe its something they've at least talked to him about.

Reggie has talked about how he feels he wasn't "ready" to go to Europe at 18 like Weston McKennie was. He's talked about he importance of the year at UCLA for him, and his time working up the depth chart at FCD. He seems to have a great head on his shoulders. He's not going to rush into a move abroad unless its the right move.

With every passing year I see moving to Liga MX as more of a lateral move. The quality of MLS is really increasing, and I don't see the gap to Liga MX as being that great. The CCL games between MLS and Liga MX clubs are typically really tight (for instance FCD against Pachuca two years ago was neck and neck). Liga MX typically wins those series, but they're very close.

https://www.prosoccerusa.com/mls/fc...ur-kids-debate-in-the-eyes-of-dallas-academy/

“I think everyone needs to take a step back and look what their next step should be because everyone says ‘I’m going to Europe and hopefully I make it’,” Cannon said. “I think going to Europe too early is just as bad as going too late. If you go too early, you get loaned and it’s tough to break through to the first team. For one Weston McKennie and one Christian Pulisic, there’s thousands of kids going over there thinking ‘its my dream’ and I think you have to work your way through the ranks and that’s what I’m doing right now. I’m just taking it slow.”

Tom Collingsworth, TCS35 and don Lamb repped this.
  8. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Ebobisse gets the start in MLS Cup.

Robinson and Vazquez on the bench for Atlanta.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  9. Sup Bro

Sup Bro Member+

Oct 26, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ebobisse has springs on his feet

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  10. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Very little service into him in that game.

Atlanta completely stymied Valeri and Blanco.

He got the one nice header on target. Other than that, not much goin' on.