YNT-Eligible MLS Players: 2018 In-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Feb 20, 2018.

1. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    #1 Dave Marino-Nachison, Feb 20, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
  2. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bello had a goal and two assists for the U19s(?), Busio got some time vs Phoenix and looked decent and Reyna scored two for the U17s

3. Anderson11

Anderson11 Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reggie Cannon starting. Doesn’t look like anyone else thread eligible tonight.

Sandon Mibut and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  4. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Where's Pomykal? I thought he was going to be the back up #10.

5. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    #becauseMLS

6. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Dallas loses 1-0 to a team from Panama.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  7. kingshark

kingshark Member+

Mar 3, 2006
    Watched the match, and thought Cannon was very good and should lock the spot on starting 11 of FC Dallas.

But the gaming was boring with a very slow tempo, and no emergency at all. MLS, how can you prove you are a decent league if you cannot be legit in meaningful international matches.

8. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I thought Cannon was good but he got caught out of position on the play before the goal. That led to Dallas having to clear it out for a corner kick and Tauro scored on the ensuing play.

TCS35 and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  9. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I wonder if he has a bit of a knock, because Pareja's bench didn't really make much sense. He had Lamah, Akindele, and Colman. You only need two of those.

I was looking for Pax in all of the pre-game videos that FCD released of the team training, coming off the bus, etc. I didn't see him.

Sure...................but Jesse has to make that "save."

I didn't see the game. Only the highlights. But folks seem to think Reggie did fine overall for his first start in a non-USOC contest. Not perfect, but we shouldn't have expected perfect.

1-0 on the road in the first leg isn't the end of the world for the 1st game of the season. FCD has every opportunity to turn it around in the 2nd leg.

10. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought Cannon was one of Dallas's better players. He did lose his mark on the goal but I think that was going in even had it not been tapped in. Of course there will be growing pains for a young defender and the hope is he keeps absorbing and getting better. Anyway it's not like last years right back Grana never had any defensive gafs. Reggie isn't as tricky but I like his low crosses across goal and he got in two or three of those and one almost took a deflection of a defender into goal. I didn't like Grezo and Ulloa together as they are both too defensive. Guessing it's too soon for Oscar to be comfortable with Hayes or Servania on the road in Central America as a starter.

TCS35 repped this.
  11. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Redding not even on the bench.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  12. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Reggie Cannon starting for Dallas tonight in the CCL.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  13. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    Cannon was subbed out early, how did he play?

14. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I didn't see the game and can't tell you.

Worth noting that the game started with FCD in a 3-5-2. Reggie played as a wingback.

He was subbed out for Lamah when FCD was desperate for goals. So it may not have had anything to do with performance. Ulloa was subbed out in the 35th minute for a winger (Mosquera), so that tells the story right there.

15. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Think we should use this thread specifically for how our youngsters perform during their actual playing time.

Use the criticisms of MLS and youth playing time in the Youngsters in MLS thread (or create a new thread for that).

16. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don’t think you will see Redding for the first team for a long time. From what I’ve heard (haven’t watched much myself) Redding has not impressed in preseason. Lots of mistakes. Plus he has to adjust to the NYRB system.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  17. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I think you are right. I don't expect him to play much, but this is also a player who has held his own for a few seasons now in this league. I don't know why he needs to be put in this situation.

18. Kombucha

Kombucha Member+

Jul 1, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    #18 Kombucha, Mar 1, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
    Redding just might be a player who ends up just not being that good and topping out at a MLS quality starter by age 28.

It isn’t like he hasn’t been given chances in MLS. He played a good amount for OCSC and held his own, but was far from a reliable starting CB.

OCFC traded him, which they would not have done if they believed he was super valuable. Red Bull also play younger players that are American, so feel this situation reflects more on Redding than anything else.

onefineesq and Sup Bro repped this.
  19. ckajMonet

ckajMonet Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 8, 2017
    969413071990067200 is not a valid tweet id

Namdynamo, Zamphyr and Maitreya repped this.
  20. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I'm pretty sure he had one year left on his contract, and that was a reason for trading him.

And I'm not sure I'd say two examples prove that all talented young Americans will get a chance at the club.

21. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Well...................yes, but:

If they thought Tommy Redding was ready to be a full-time starter, would they be doing this? No.

Perhaps this season Tommy will be a full-time starter with NYRBII with sporadic appearaces for the first team. He's only 21 still. We have plenty of guys who've surged in terms of our USMNT pool in their early-to-mid 20s. MLS Defender of the Year from 2016 Matt Hedges is an example. Maybe that'll be Tommy. Or not.

22. Kombucha

Kombucha Member+

Jul 1, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    The Red Bulls are certainly not infallible, but they do a better job that most MLS teams of incorporating young American talent and Marsch has been vocal among coaches about giving young American players a chance to play.

Redding is also 21 and has played 38 games in MLS at this point. This is basically an entire season, so he has been given a fair chance to prove himself and lock down a role in the league unlike other players discussed frequently in this thread.

Frankly, I have not seen enough improvement out of him over the last couple years. He looked like an decent option as a 3rd CB in the league who lacked consistency in 2015. I assumed that consistency would come with experience, but in 2017 he looked like a 3rd CB who lacked consistency.

onefineesq repped this.
  23. Maitreya

Maitreya Member+

Apr 30, 2007
    Providence, RI
    In the first half Adams was playing a very deep d-mid role, almost like a sort of sweeper, where he would slide to cover ground vacated by the fullbacks who were often way up field. Most of his activity higher on the field was in the second half. He did get the assist, though he had a couple of other attempted take-ons that were easily defended.

24. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Not a high bar, although I understand your point.

I just look around MLS, consider his play, and don't understand how he's essentially become buried. It doesn't make sense to me.

25. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas