YNT-eligible MLS players: 2018/19 offseason thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by ussoccer97531, Nov 21, 2018.

1. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Obviously bad things happen but after last season I'd have to think Reggie isn't long for FCD. If he shows any progression in his offensive end product I believe teams will start sniffing around this summer. Hollingshead on the roster may make it easier if a 3-5m offer comes along during that inconvenient window. FCD may have learned their lesson about selling when the offer comes rather than waiting for the ideal time because of what happened to Acosta.

2. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    Disclaimer: I am just a nobody with no particular expetise etc.

With that being said, I am going to give a very rough outline of how I think an MLS team should be built around HG players.

1. a core of solid to very good MLS vets are needed to provide leadership and mentorship to the young players. Guys like Dax McCarty come to mind. (I don't know for sure if he is a good one but he comes across as the type that would be). They need to be able to help the young players become better players and especially better professionals.

2. Each team needs at least 1-3 difference makers that would be a DP. Double credit if that DP also provides leadership and mentorship (Rooney comes to mind as someone that comes across that way).

3. Ideally, there should be at least 1-3 (more is better of course) HG players (at different stages of development) that are ready to play a role as regular starters or at least rotational starters at the beginning of the year. The hope would be that the HG's would improve to the point that at least one becomes a very important player by the end of the year adn the others are improved....some could become regular members of the team so that there are now 1-4 regular starters and 1-3 HG's that are regular members of the team with at least occasional minutes.

A team like FCD already has Cannon, in addition to him, they need AT LEAST one more of there younger guys to become regular parts of the team. Perhaps Pomykal becomes a regular or semi regular starter (1200-2000 minutes), Cannon an everyday starter, Servainia becomes an occasional starter (500-1000 min?) and someone else pops up with 100-500 minutes and a regular place on the bench. (for the playoer(s) with 100-500 minutes, ideally that would be someone that didn't get their debut until later in the season after playing in USL and earning a spot with the first team.

TCS35 and Sup Bro repped this.
  3. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Looks like Te Kloese may be serious about getting the academy more involved.

butters59, ussoccer97531 and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  4. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    If the reports of Dallas playing youth come true then...awesome

If those reports come true and Dallas is a top 3 team next season, and other teams see them as a role model...drool

5. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Other reports saying Porter picked Columbus over LA. Based on who is saying this I believe them.

6. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Check out @JREskilson’s Tweet:

TarHeels17 and ChuckMe92 repped this.
  7. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Call him up. Its a deep group of '01 CB's, but give him a camp, and see how he does. I'm not convinced he's more than a fringe player in this age group, but many fringe players without interest from other federations have gotten call ups.

TarHeels17 repped this.
  8. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #133 Clint Eastwood, Dec 16, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
    This rumor's been out there for a while, but it looks like we're about to find out for sure. A stat from this article: 13 of the 23 players currently under contract at FCD are 23 years old or younger. The article also seems to speculate that we'll find out about Richards' sale to Bayern soon.

By the way, just one more FCD tidbit. A lot of scuttlebutt out there right now that Jesse Gonzalez might be on his way to Liga MX. This would presumably move Mexican-American youth international Carlos Avilez one rung up the ladder on the depth chart.
    1074061575357640712 is not a valid tweet id

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  9. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read somewhere that part of the agreement between FCD and Xolos about Oscar Pareja was that Xolos couldn't go after any under-contract FCD players for two years. That piece of information and this rumor can't both be true, so I wonder what the real deal is.

10. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    FCD is more worried about Pareja influencing the players directly. If there is a legit good offer that goes straight to the club then nobody will be upset.

11. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Pl@ymaker repped this.
  12. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Let's of interesting comments from Luchi's initial interviews and press conference.
    This comment pissed off the FCD faithful, but should make us happy on this board.

One sees a message in the players with Luchi at the announcement:

13. Runhard

Runhard Member+

Barcelona
    United States
    Jul 5, 2018
    Notice dChris Richards in there. Wonder if he is staying or just dropping by for Christmas until they iron out his transfer to Bayern.

Hold on your hats for the FCD fans bc it does appear the young kids are going to play at FCD. I expect it to be tough but hopefully some of them do well enough to move on to Europe.

On a side note, Luchi really needs to work with a PR person on his press conferences. Some of the comments on facebook were pretty rough.."hope he hires someone to give his pep talks."...."more boring than a Jason Garrett Presser."

If he wins it won't matter but press conferences don't appear to be his strongpoint.

14. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nobody cares how boring you are when you win. See Belichick, Bill.

There's a lot of negativity about this hire and the direction of the club in social media. "Many" fans want the club to show a lot more ambition in terms of player signings and coaching hires. They ask.......................why can't FCD sign Tata Martino and Carlos Vela? Cuz lets be frank, FCD could sell out that stadium if they signed some Mexican stars.

There's a whole host of fans that views all of this as a white flag. That they're just cheap and not interested in winning MLS Cup.

We on this board are "100% on board" with a business strategy focusing on youth and player development. You don't need to convince me that this is a good direction to go in. However, that isn't "most" fans. Most fans want to see a winning and entertaining product on the field. This roster they currently have (13 of the 23 players currently under contract are 23 years old or younger) isn't in the same ballpark as Atlanta's.

TheFalseNine repped this.
  15. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I'd prefer Richards isn't sold to Bayern, if he's going to start at FC Dallas. Will he play at a better level than MLS next season if he stays at Bayern?

WheezingUSASupport repped this.
  16. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Ditto. For every Bayern player to make it out of the academy there are ten reduced to broken dreams.

17. TCS35

TCS35 Member

Sep 17, 2015
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I would agree that he is not the greatest at the press conferences and for those who don’t know him....the fans....this can be depressing. However, I think where he excels is one-on-one with the players, expectations, and having his pulse on the team. While no team is perfect, this is perhaps where Oscar was lacking and FCD would get dinged quite often. FCD was pretty good at the image of Papi and a “family”....yet players around the league would vote Oscar as one of the coaches that the players themselves would least like to play for. That is a disconnect. Oviously you always got hints of internal turmoil and melt downs. While all teams keep their locker rooms hidden, sometimes I feel like I was watch the Colombian version of “Leave it to Beaver” Luchi is quite different. He figured out what made his players tick and got the best out of them. I would imagine this is a huge transition for Luchi, knowing many of the players well is a great advantage. I can attest to his being detail oriented. We recently moved 3 months ago and I found on my kid’s cork board his personal hand written goals for the 2014/2015 U16 season with FCD he sent to Luchi and the team written goals which at the bottom was winning the National Championship. This was written before he played his first game of the season. It included expectations for his specific position in games (crosses, assists etc). I assume every player on the team had similar individual goals for their position. I could be wrong because my kid was playing a new position under Luchi and maybe this was only for him.
    I am not saying this tactic will work well with professionals. I only give this example to give an example of his attention to detail and getting into the heads of the young developing player. For a very young team, these characteristics may not be a bad thing either.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  18. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Yup this is what I hear about Luchi too...…..……………
    Of course its going to be a very different job for him. Coaching to win first team games with adult professionals is a completely different task than developing youngsters (in games where results aren't actually that important.) Luchi might be a great communicator and motivator...……..…...but what about the X's and O's of coaching in order to win games at an MLS level? We're just going to have to wait to see on that one...…………..

Just as a defense for Oscar, what he did with youth at FCD isn't normal. Folks are already noticing down in Mexico. Communication may not be his strongest suit.

There's reportedly a transfer clause in Richards' loan contract.
    So the ball is completely in Bayern's court on this one.
    Do they want the player or not? My guess is they've already realized that their transfer clause is much lower than the player's value. I can't see a repeat of the EPB situation here.

One can argue that Ziegler and Hedges were two of the 3 best players for FCD last season (with Reggie). And they're reportedly on the verge of signing Brazilian CB Bressan from Gremio.

Nah, if Bayern wants him...………………...I'm all in favor of him going. From everything we've heard Chris wants to be in Europe. So my gut feeling is that HE wants this move to happen. So be it.

19. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Another Luchi column:

Hunt is certainly "talking the talk" all over these articles. We'll see what happens when results are on the line......................

It could be great for some of those younger Homegrowns, as well. Midfielder Paxton Pomykal, forward Jesus Ferreira, midfielder Brandon Servania and midfielder Thomas Roberts are expected to compete for minutes in 2019, according to Hunt. Pomykal has a particularly big opportunity, as Hunt said that the 19-year-old will battle with 2018 summer signing Pablo Aranguiz to start at attacking midfield next season. It’s even possible that defender Chris Richards will play a significant role for FCD next year, with Hunt saying that his reported transfer to Bayern Munich is not yet completed and that he may return to Texas to play in MLS once his loan to the German giants expires at the end of the month.

Tom Collingsworth and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  20. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Yeah, I agree that's the case. The only reason he's in the US is because it's Christmas. I just don't trust BM

21. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Yup. There are a bunch of "better" academies in Germany to be at from a first team opportunity point of view.

HOWEVER, I'm not totally convinced about playing time for the FCD first team next season if they have Hedges, Ziegler, and Bressan (presumably)

Of course, Bressan is a bit of a mystery. This is word for word from his wikipedia page :)! Can Richards beat him out for playing time? Maybe. But this was the Libertadores semifinal agaisnt River Plate. So he does have some sorta pedigree.

On 30 October 2018 Bressan had the most notable highlight in his career. This very remarkable guy needed only 15 minutes to ruin the 2018 Gremio's Season, putting his hand at the ball, causing a penalty and eliminating Gremio from Libertadores 2018..

22. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    WheezingUSASupport and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  23. Runhard

Runhard Member+

Barcelona
    United States
    Jul 5, 2018

Nicknamed the "Cobra". Should spice it up a little at Toyota stadium.

Hearing rumors Richards is gone for a lot of money to Bayern. I think it's a great move and he has a legitimate chance to be in the Bayern first team soon. FCD sort of making up for losing out on McKennie money.

If FCD can take kids on for one year and then move them on to Europe that is a great model.

TCS35, TxEx and TheFalseNine repped this.
  24. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I hope that's true for Richards. He really wants to go and I didn't want FCD to screw that up for him. Better to move him on, pocket some money and show other kids, who while playing for lesser known DA sides, that there's a path to Europe if they can impress on a trial FCD sets up for them.

My big hope is that FCD can and will sell to others if BM passes and it's not just a one team path to Germany for their kids. Plenty of our kids appear to be good enough for a dozen plus Bundesliga clubs. BM should only be one of them.

TCS35 repped this.
  25. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Potentially an opening for Vines

Pl@ymaker repped this.