YNT-eligible MLS players: 2018/19 offseason thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by ussoccer97531, Nov 21, 2018.

1. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    And he won't turn 27 until next year. He'll very possibly retire with considerably more than 200 MLS appearances, and zero caps.

2. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    There are a lot of homegrown players of this type. Scott Caldwell is a really, really good MLS player. Same idea.

3. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Of course. Though Caldwell played four seasons of college soccer.

4. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010

5. punintended_13

punintended_13 Member+

Atlanta United
    Mar 22, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    The fact that the LA Galaxy have not raised up a homegrown that goes off to Europe for a ton of money is one of the biggest overlooked travesties in US Soccer. So much talent, so little ability to actually bring them through. Really hope they can figure it out.

6. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The league's direction right now is really satisfying. It seems like most of their core missions at the moment are the exact things that we'd want them to be working on. I think the next 8 years will be possibly the most fun time to be a US soccer fan just because of how much improvement there'll be.

7. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    #107 Dave Marino-Nachison, Dec 11, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
    Could be, but you're not allowed to publicly enjoy U.S. soccer on the internet. Just a heads-up.

8. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Made available in the waiver draft.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  9. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    #109 WheezingUSASupport, Dec 11, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
    I doubt Atlanta are doing this because they see Bello as their starter next season.

If anything, this is probably a bad thing because they’re going to spend a stupid amount of $ to bring in a South American who will be tougher for Bello to beat out.

Edit: Anyone know if this Ndam guy from the US?

10. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know about that. Garza wasn't making much and was really good. There isn't much room for improvement by trading him and buying another good left back.

People were saying today how Cincinnati just got a top 3-5 left back in the league when he's healthy. I genuinely think they're trying to get more minutes for Bello so they can sell him next winter. They probably see him as their Davies. Now they can reinvest the 450k they just got somewhere else in the team and build a homegrown success story.

ielag repped this.
  11. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Yep, Garza is great value at $175K and 27 y/o. It's definitely made in mind of getting Bello minutes. They know that Euro clubs know all about George and they're going to want to maximize their earning potential on a transfer.

Tom Collingsworth and TheFalseNine repped this.
  12. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Its amazing. Javier Morales had only been at the FCD academy for weeks......................

Maybe he was a "guest coach."

If I remember correctly, Pareja did take some of the youth coaches with him to Tijuana as well. Peter Luccin. Also the Bazan brothers, who were integral to FCD's success over the past couple of years in several different roles.

Will the last person out of FCD please turn out the lights?

People keep talking about how this regime change at FCD is going to benefit the academy and youngsters. I don't see it. I see primarily an organization that is starting from scratch. Will it be better than what we had before? I have no idea................

13. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas

Statistically, Durkin was very competitive with United’s other defensive midfielders. On the entire roster this year, only Canouse had more interceptions per 90 than Durkin, whose rate (1.6) was closer to Canouse’s (1.9) than to Moreno’s (1.2). He committed fewer fouls than Moreno (albeit by a very narrow 0.1 per 90 margin). His 84.2% passing accuracy on the season is short of the high totals from Canouse (89%) and Moreno (87%), but remember that Durkin played mostly road games on the year, and mostly without nearby support due to the formation.

14. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Whether he goes to FCD or Philly, this move would impact our youth attackers at those clubs. [Fontana, Pomykal, Roberts, etc.] I get the impression that he's predominantly a left winger, but can play anywhere in attack.

15. bpet15

bpet15 Member+

Oct 4, 2016
    Luccin most definitely did not go with Oscar.

TCS35 repped this.
  16. Runhard

Runhard Member+

Barcelona
    United States
    Jul 5, 2018

There is a lot of TBD at FCD right now so no way to really know. Having said that put me in the camp of thinking this will be good for the HG players. FCD moving out their older veterans and starting over with a new coach is a good thing.

The value in the FCD academy is not in the coaches but the facilities, resources, location and players. you put any decent coach in this atmosphere and the academy will continue to turn out players.

Time will tell if the First team does well under Luchi.

TCS35 repped this.
  17. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Who knows..................

I'd add that if the Ulloa trade to Cincy goes thru then they've cleared nearly 3 million in cap room since the end of the year.

THey are being heavily linked with a host of South/Central Americans right now (Venezuelan attacking midfield Soteldo, Honduran central midfielder Bryan Acosta, Brazilian defender Bressan, and the list goes on).

So we'll see what happens with the depth chart when the dust settles.

18. Starfish & Ice Coffee

Sep 2, 2016
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    He’s a 20-year-old from Cameroon.

19. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not that insiders have ever been wrong but the going young line seems to continuing to be repeated.

20. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #120 Clint Eastwood, Dec 13, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
    Going young and signing a bunch of foreign players aren't mutually exclusive strategies. This Venezuelan Soteldo that they've been heavily linked to was on their 2017 U20 World Cup team. So we'll see how our US U23s look on the depth chart when all of the dust settles.

FCD now has ~3 million in salary cap room, and are sitting on a mountain of allocation money (got more for Ulloa yesterday). With a bunch of international roster slots now open. I doubt they're stockpiling these assets just to sit on them. By the way, that's three million in salary cap space.............with three DPs already on the roster. The "middle class" of the FCD roster has been gutted.

FCD was already pretty young. Their median age was 25 last season. In fact, Victor Ulloa was their longest serving player. He's 26.

21. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    All that's left of the historic 2016 team are Hedges, Barrios, Hollingshead and Gruezo. Gonzalez is the only HGP left from that era. My hope for FCD was always that they would keep a core with year after year of playing together making them stronger. Not sure what happened but it sure feels like a missed opportunity.

22. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don’t disagree I was just making the point it’s unlikely they are going to bring in mid/older foreign players. Wasn’t suggesting that you were saying that just quoting you to stay on that topic.

It would seem with the lead coach hire and roster moves thus far they are making a philosophical change to the 1st team.

23. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seems more likely that Oscar knew he was leaving and played more veterans as a last gap to win a title before he left. He played very young players when he first got here and still played a 19 year old every game but one last year. if they could add a really good #9 the rest of the parts fit well and the young up and comers just took the place of backup vets.

24. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Maybe. I mean, for years FCD's 1st team philosophy has been young South Americans (Castillo, Diaz, Barrios, Mosquera, Colman, Aranguiz, Grueso, etc. were all signed in their teens to early 20s. Even a player like Urruti was only 23 when he arrived at FCD) and homegrown/drafted players. There have been exceptions (Lamah for instance), but that's primarily been the case.

I don't see what's going on as a philosophical change as much as a "changing of the guard." The Pareja/Clavijo window has closed and the next one is opening. Its a re-set.

TCS35 repped this.
  25. Runhard

Runhard Member+

Barcelona
    United States
    Jul 5, 2018
    I agree and think it just a reset and lets see what the young kids can do and possibly an acknowledgement that FCD could make money by selling these young players if they give them playing time. ( If Reggie sells the plan is working).

From an owners perspective, FCD had 10-12k in fans if they were in first place or last place and the play of the team doesn't seem to effect the amount of fans in the seats. If that is the case, go ahead and play the young guys, get a young coach and see what happens. If they are poor, you will still have your loyal 10K in fans.

I like it as I want to see the young guys play. However, with all the sky is falling talk on social media about the players they have gotten rid of, FCD still has Barrios, Badji, Arrainguz, Mosquera, Gruezo and their entire back line from last year and both goalies. They have not cut that deep into the roster yet. Plus expect some mid level veterans or young SA players to join up soon. It will come down to if Luchi can get them playing together, he will have plenty of talent.

Latest I heard was Chris Hayden will be the USL coach and Ferruzzi will be the new Academy director. Its possible Mikey Varas joins Luchi with the first team and in that case FCD would need new coaches at the U19 and U17 DA levels.

TCS35 repped this.