YNT-eligible MLS players: 2018/19 offseason thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by ussoccer97531, Nov 21, 2018.

1. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a Californian, I can attest that edibles aren’t cheap

Runhard repped this.
  2. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Mentioned in the USL thread, but this is a first team deal. 2nd youngest player to ever sign a first team deal with FCD (after Bryan Reynolds). He's 15. A 2003. Is he the first 2003 to sign an MLS deal? Surely...………….

3. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Tyler Freeman is the first ‘03 to sign a HG contract.

4. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm curious how much they're paying him. Given how much interest he seemed to have abroad, I wouldn't be surprised if he's getting paid more than a few of their current HGs.

5. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I believe he is the third, behind Tyler Freeman and Cade Cowell.

https://www.sportingkc.com/post/201...ar-old-forward-tyler-freeman-homegrown-player

https://www.sjearthquakes.com/post/...-academy-product-cade-cowell-homegrown-player

Perhaps not a coincidence that all three 03s are forwards or attacking wings.

Tom Collingsworth and xbhaskarx repped this.
  6. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    No doubt. All part of the growth of the academy and homegrown player initiative. Gotta pay more to keep these products at home. If you're serious, you gotta do it.

Its unclear to me whether Sealy has access to a Euro passport. Some claim he does, but I don't know. If he doesn't, then he can't move abroad for several years anyway.

Folks often say there's "interest from abroad" regarding certain players like Dante, Beni Redzic. "Interest from abroad" can mean nothing when an actual professional contract is presented to a player & family.

Alright...…………….who's next? I still think Johan Gomez.

7. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Why does Pepi get a “2” deal but Sealy gets a first team contract?

8. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Leverage?

Stupid_American repped this.
  9. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sealy surely has a T&T passport. Because T&T is a signatory to the Cotonou Agreement, he'd be a domestic in Spain, at least, and I think France as well.

10. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    Akinola starting tonight for TFC.

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  11. bpet15

bpet15 Member+

Oct 4, 2016
    Honestly, I think the club have always rated Sealy higher than Pepi. Sealy went straight into the U19 side this year while Pepi has just been promoted. I think you may see Pepi with NTSC and the U19 side some, while Sealy's Academy days could well be over.

12. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Pepi doesn’t want to sign with MLS yet

13. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    I imagine Dallas has an option built in to turn Pepi's USL contract into an MLS HG contract within a couple years.

There's no point of signing these youngsters to contracts that expire before their 19th bday.

14. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All these HG signings depend on the kid being interested in signing an HG contract. Not every one is going to be. Dallas made Pepi NTSC’s first signing after he hadn’t even played with the u19s (according to the DA website). He’s been called up to multiple YNT camps and they obviously think very highly of him. Even if they weren’t interested in signing him to an HG contract before, scoring 19 goals in 8 DA games and then showing well in a tournament in Mexico will improve your stock significantly. It’s at least possible he is receiving a lot of attention right now.

15. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks guys for all the NYRB prospects they are the leaders or right up there as the best academy for turning out players. My question though was a bit odder in that like the Canouse example of a player from somewhere else that plays there for only a year before moving on to a pro contract elsewhere. Along with all the kids FCD is known for are a smaller army of kids who came from across the country to play at FCD for only a year and then directly to a pro contract elsewhere. Examples would be Shaq Moore, Shaft Brewer, Hamalainen etc. I don't consider Richards and Cappis in this mode because they were both willing to stay longer but Bayern bought Richards and Houston / MLS blocked Cappis.

16. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #941 Clint Eastwood, Feb 27, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
    We're in season preview mode, and here's one for FCD.
    https://www.bigdsoccer.com/2019/2/27/18234592/fc-dallas-2019-mls-preview-luchi-gonzalez

I'll just leave their projected starting XI here because I think its bang on. Pomykal versus Hayes versus Acosta will probably be a week to week decision. Either way, all of the tea leaves point to significant playing time for Pomykal.

GK: Jesse Gonzalez
    LB: Marquinhos Pedroso
    CB: Reto Ziegler
    CB: Matt Hedges
    RB: Reggie Cannon
    DM: Carlos Gruezo
    CM: Paxton Pomykal
    CM: Bryan Acosta
    LW: Santiago Mosquera
    FW: Dominque Badji
    RW: Michael Barrios

I'll project a bench for week one as well.....................

Jimmy Maurer
    Ryan Hollingshead
    Bressan
    Brandon Servania
    Jacori Hayes
    Pablo Aranguiz
    Jesus Ferreira

The other youngsters that should be routinely making the 18 and will get playing time this season are John Nelson and Edwin Cerrillo. Thomas Roberts, Bryan Reynolds, and now Dante Sealy will be predominantly USL players. Roberts and Reynolds should get a first team taste, though. Roberts will hopefully be on loan to Bayern Munich anyway. Somebody will be.

17. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Doyle sometimes has some inside info. He was on @zlebmada's podcast.

He said a couple of noteworthy things.

Mihailovic might transferred to the Bundesliga in the next season.

People at LAG tell him that Alvarez doesn't want to defend and is out of shape.

Anthony Hudson (Colorado coach) speaks more highly of Bassett than any other coach speaks of any other player in the league.

He's been told that Carleton's USL analytics (that teams keep and the public isn't privy to) were very good, despite the average G/A stats.

18. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    What a surprise.

19. cgrussell

cgrussell Member

Jan 7, 2019
    He also mentioned that veteran players have a high opinion of the way Mihailovic goes about things (and that it's extremely rare for them to do anything but rag on the young guys, the only other exception being Tyler Adams). Maybe that was already out there, but I'd never heard it and thought it was interesting.

20. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

21. Sombrerito

Sombrerito Member

Arsenal
    United States
    May 6, 2018
    what I love about Djorde's game is how he's able to find those pockets in the game and has the technique to either take a SOG or provide an assist when he's in attack. He'd be good fit for the bundesliga

Tom Collingsworth and largegarlic repped this.
  22. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fernandez and Nealis are on the bench tonight in CCL.

23. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010

24. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why did I think that he had already done so? Hmmmm, weird.

25. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Ives Galarcep had previously mentioned it, but then we were told that Ives was premature. Now it looks like it's really a thing.