YNT-eligible MLS players: 2018/19 offseason thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by ussoccer97531, Nov 21, 2018.

1. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    Marlon Vargas had the assist to Bwana.

Both Vargas and Leyva started.
    Vargas was scheduled to come off at 45 minutes but Schmetzer liked his play enough he kept him on longer.

Not sure there were any Sounders regular starters on the field while Portland started most of their lineup from MLS Cup.

So that's who Leyva and Vargas were up against for most the game.

2. Sombrerito

Sombrerito Member

Arsenal
    United States
    May 6, 2018
    Yes good point. All the sounders youngsters looked very impressive. I hope they get some minutes here and there with the first team

3. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    That video is utter brilliance from Servania. I'm starting to dream of a true tiki-taka style at the U20 World Cup with a midfield of Servania, Pomykal, and Mendez, with Llanez and Carleton playing on the wings. Dest and Gloster getting forward with Richards and McKenzie in the middle. Go ahead and throw Sargent up top since there are probably at least a couple of other names on this list that won't be there.

xbhaskarx, ChuckMe92 and USSoccerNova repped this.
  4. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    https://www.prosoccerusa.com/mls/a-culture-shift-nycfc-riding-youth-movement-in-2019/

6. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I'm pretty sure she's his adopted mom. She's also the son of SMU All-American Garrett McLaughlin (a 97) and I think she and her husband Tim are part owners of the OKC Energy. So I would take her as a trusted source.

Batista is a great athlete and has all the tools to be a good center back.

And, for the record, some of us (OK, me!) thought there might be something worth watching with Batista way back in his freshman (lone) season at UCSB in 2016,

YNT College Soccer Flavors of the Week, 2016 Edition

Oh, and two posts after mine on that thread, @Dave Marino-Nachison is talking up a big freshman CB from Maryland named Donovan Pines. Interesting they took different paths but ended up in MLS at the same time.

It will be interesting to see if either get a U23 look, assuming US Soccer ever hires a coach.

7. ckajMonet

ckajMonet Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 8, 2017
  8. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Pomykal put in another good shift, but not much better than that. I'd like to see him play better, but I do think we've seen his skill-set shift from what it was a couple of years ago. It's a similar shift to what we saw from Pulisic. Pomykal has become more of a vertical player, and has lost some of his creativity and passing vision. Pomykal is making a lot of good runs out of CM, he's pressing well, defending well, combing well and making smart decisions, but there is a lack of incisive passes and attacking creativity in what I've seen from him in recent games. I don't know if he's a worse prospect now than when he played with more of a technical and creative style, but I'm not 100% convinced he's a #10-only anymore.

I wasn't paying much attention to Cannon's play, but nothing stuck out. We know he's good. It doesn't matter that much how he plays in a preseason game.

Ferreira's mark scored a goal on the back post, but it was a hard run to track after a dummy. Most wingers would've done exactly what he did there.

Roberts came on, and scored a goal for Dallas. He also had a few nice sequences where he combined well. His goal was one that the GK should've stopped, but it wasn't Seattle starter. It was their back up.

Why is Meredith the back up instead of Muse? Is he any better than Muse? I find that hard to believe. If its a situation where Meredith sits on the bench, so Muse can get regular games in the reserves, despite Muse being the #2 keeper if Frei can't play, I think that makes sense. However, that wasn't the case in this game. One thing we are not seeing is MLS teams showing faith in young keepers. There's not an American keeper younger than 23 who is a starter in MLS or Europe. Thats a problem.

WheezingUSASupport and USSoccerNova repped this.
  9. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
  10. ckajMonet

ckajMonet Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 8, 2017
  11. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    He's #29, according to the official website, so he didn't assist the first goal. The second goal he might've had the assist. That looks like him, but its hard to tell.

12. Sombrerito

Sombrerito Member

Arsenal
    United States
    May 6, 2018
    That looks a lot like him. If it was then he showed excellent composure and skill to nutmeg that defender for an assist. Dude is my darkhorse contender for ROY (also think Omir Fernandez or Bustamante could be as well)

ChuckMe92 and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  13. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #763 Clint Eastwood, Feb 16, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
    FCD also played a second game today with a lot of the youngsters. 2-0 over Grand Canyon. (Schellas Hyndman's team of course) Aranguiz with a brace.

FCD brought a bunch of young players on this trip...………..including two of the kids that have been called up by the US U17s. Pepi and David Rodriguez. David seems to have been included a lot recently.………………(just saying)

14. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    1096869022266781696 is not a valid tweet id

16. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    The role he's playing is described as a "free 8." He played fine. Its preseason, and he'll need to grow into this more. It sure looks like FCD is going to roll with Pomykal as a starter this season, though. This "free 8" role is pretty common in European soccer.

WheezingUSASupport repped this.
  17. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    Yes let’s see wait and see what happens in the regular season but like others have said I have to think he’s starting their first game.

I’m not too worried about him losing that creativity and killer passing like the user you quoted explained. The free range #8 role will allow him to expand on that.

It could be he doesn’t have enough confidence yet with the first team to attempt some of what we’ve seen with the USYNT.

18. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mihailovic looking pretty active against the Crew today, and did score. It will be interesting to see if he makes a bit of a leap this year.

19. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Scally and Lewis start with the full strength lineup for NYCFC. They are also probably the two who will not be in the first XI of those starting today.

Acosta starts at RW. He had been starting at LWB for most of the preseason.

WheezingUSASupport and autobus39 repped this.
  20. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    If one of Sands, Scally, or Lewis starts or comes off the bench each game I’ll be tuning into their games far more often than I did last season.

ChuckMe92, largegarlic and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  21. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Acosta is actually playing on the left side.

22. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    #772 ussoccer97531, Feb 16, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
    Bassett starts the other Colorado friendly today.

Here was Acosta's cross. Not a good camera angle, but you can see where the ball goes.

Lennon, Glad, Herrera, Saucedo.

Ebobisse is starting for Portland, and has scored in an ongoing game between the two teams. Duncan and Fernandez are starting for NYRB. Mines was subbed in at halftime.

23. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Review of the Sounders/Dallas game yesterday (as well as the second stringers versus GCU) From FCD's point of view, of course. One tidbit in Buzz's write-up echoes what I said earlier. He also speculates that David Rodriguez, a sporadic US U17 callup, has signed a contract. Hopefully we'll find out more shortly. He seems to have "hopped over" Beni Redzic for the moment.

24. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    That's an overstatement. It was the first time I'd heard of him and all I did was Google the name!

25. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States