YNT-eligible MLS players: 2018/19 offseason thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by ussoccer97531, Nov 21, 2018.

1. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Kids can sign a HG contract after being in the academy for 6 months, can't play an MLS match for 12 months since joining the academy. Richards was on the bench for a USSF competition, not an MLS one.

Galaxy dealt with this back when with Jack McBean and Jose Villarreal.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  2. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is someone keeping a list of all the homegrowns who have signed, and are still expected to sign?

Rumor has it the Earthquakes are expected to sign a homegrown soon, no idea who...

3. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #453 Clint Eastwood, Jan 22, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
    Buzz's observations from the first FCD practice. He notes that newly signed homegrown NTX player '99 Brecc Evans was at the training session, but Ricardo Pepi wasn't. Just as a thought..................actually a similar thought to what I had last year at this time.............22 of the 32 players on the preseason roster are under the age of 25 [Foreign and domestic]. This is a very young group. Only three players over the age of 28, and one of those is a backup keeper!!!

This was clearly just an aerobic workout as a start to the training season. Not much info on our kids, but Nelson did seem to make an impression on Buzz.

- John Nelson jumped out at me though. He moved really well. Looked bright and positive, not nervous. I can see just from watching some simple drills why people might like him. Quick, good touch, the head is up, moves sharp... He's fairly short though, for what little that matters outside of set pieces.

Also, an MLS story that just came out on Paxton Pomykal. Nothing that us diehards didn't already know already, but nice to see that FCD/MLS are continuing to put him front and center as we enter the preseason.

Tom Collingsworth and xbhaskarx repped this.
  4. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AFAIK, Cappis and Richards were treated differently because Cappis grew up in an opposing team's MLS market and Richards did not. Even though Cappis was never affiliated with the Dynamo academy, he was part of "their" territory. I guess that didn't count for Richards, who was playing for a Houston DA club, but only for a brief time.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  5. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a dumb rule. Should be scrapped. Some players seemingly dislike or even hate the local team and should be able to declare that somehow. I just hope MLS drops the whole territory thing as some clubs don't do anything to deserve it and they must be getting tires of redrawing the school districts every time a new school opens ... oh wait I mean territories and teams.

Patrick167 repped this.
  6. Kombucha

Kombucha Member+

Jul 1, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    I agree the rule is dumb, but the interpretation is consistent.

If players could just declare they don't want to play for the local MLS team and then be free to be a HG at another team then the rule is worthless.

7. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    Lots of rumors in RSL land. A really poorly sourced rumor says Saucedo may be on his way out soon:

Probably made up but he has been public about his dissatisfaction with playing time, so it's plausible.

Joao Plata may be gone this winter, which could have big implications for Bofo.

10. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Yeah not going to Benfica or Sporting brah

11. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    He went back to Indiana after that U20 CONCACAF Championships and had a pretty serious injury if I remember correctly. Torn ACL. It's been a long road back so I'm glad he's getting this opportunity in the pros.

Edit:

https://www.thehoosiernetwork.com/2...jahrs-greatest-fall-led-to-his-greatest-rise/

12. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    xbhaskarx repped this.
  13. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everyone is training with the Sounders' first team.

Fowler, Atencio, and Malone are the only ones not on USL contracts.

15. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it used to be necessary but no longer is.

16. TheAcademy

TheAcademy New Member

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Oct 15, 2018
    This just goes to show how good Seattle's academy is. Even their first team coaching staff highly regards this group of players.

17. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But then again none of these guys are on first team contracts. There's already 9 '01s on first team contracts. If they really think Malone, Diaz, Gonzalez, and Vargas are first team contributors, they should probably be signed pretty soon.

I wouldn't be surprised if all these players eventually earn first team contracts, but it's not like any of them are top of the line prospects right now. None are starters for a youth national team at the moment, although Atencio probably should be and I'd like to see more of AOC. This group of players seems very RSL '97 to me, which is impressive, but I question the usefulness of such a class at a club with the ambition of Seattle, especially quite a few of the players listed are attackers.

I'm not trying to tamper anyone's expectations. I just think it'll be a very interesting case study, and will tell us a lot about Seattle's vision on youth development.

18. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This comment didn't age well!

19. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  20. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Glad cut from USMNT camp. Don't know what to make of that, unless he has a small injury. Without that we can just say he was 5th in the CB competition. So was Kellyn Acosta, by the way. Those two guys have careers going in the wrong direction.

DETAILED ROSTER BY POSITION (Club; Caps/Goals):

GOALKEEPERS (2): Sean Johnson (New York City FC; 5/0), Zack Steffen (Columbus Crew SC; 6/0)

DEFENDERS (8): Reggie Cannon (FC Dallas; 2/0), Nick Lima (San Jose Earthquakes; 0/0), Aaron Long (New York Red Bulls; 2/0), Daniel Lovitz (Montreal Impact/CAN; 0/0), Mark McKenzie (Philadelphia Union; 0/0), Keegan Rosenberry (Colorado Rapids; 0/0), Auston Trusty (Philadelphia Union; 0/0), Walker Zimmerman (LAFC; 4/1)

MIDFIELDERS (10): Paul Arriola (D.C. United; 17/2), Corey Baird (Real Salt Lake; 0/0), Michael Bradley (Toronto FC/CAN; 142/17), Russell Canouse (D.C. United; 0/0), Marky Delgado (Toronto FC/CAN; 6/0), Jonathan Lewis (New York City FC; 0/0), Sebastian Lletget (LA Galaxy; 5/1), Djordje Mihailovic (Chicago Fire; 0/0), Cristian Roldan (Seattle Sounders FC; 5/0), Wil Trapp (Columbus Crew SC; 11/0)

FORWARDS (3):Jeremy Ebobisse (Portland Timbers, 0/0), Christian Ramirez (LAFC; 0/0), Gyasi Zardes (Columbus Crew SC; 40/6)

Tom Collingsworth and Patrick167 repped this.
  21. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do we have a list of eligibles on preseason rosters somewhere?

22. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I think Diaz may be a starter level YNT player. His stock has went up a lot in the last year. Malone may not be a starter level YNT player because the CB's in '01 are very good, but he's a player who should be playing a big role in his YNT age group. The others are fringe guys.

In '02, I think Ocampo-Chavez and Atencio are both starter-level in their age-group. Ocampo-Chavez is also already a starter in the age group.

I agree with your main point though. Why haven't any of them been signed yet to first team contracts?

They still haven't even signed Rogers to a first team contract, and he's played two seasons in their reserves.

24. Brotheryoungbuck

Jan 24, 2015
    parts unknown
    Did anyone acknowledge that it’s weird that Tommy McCabe, a 98 was drafted this year. I mean I guess he skipped a year at some point or something.