YNT-eligible MLS players: 2017/18 offseason thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Nov 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    This is so incredibly disingenuous. The twitter user put up like 20 gifs from a match, and you take one out that suits a faulty narrative. There were actually a few gifs there that show good defense.

bballshawn repped this.
  2. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    So we can close this thread now, right?

3. Tactical Hipster

Dec 23, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think you really understand what is being talked about here because the user in question was referencing his pressing. Out of the 20 gifs, this is literally one of maybe 2 gifs that show his pressing. I was at that game, he played well. I think he deserves more minutes and I think he is a good player, however his pressing is lackluster. Atlanta overall was pretty poor in their pressing schema this offseason, so it's not all Carleton, but a lot of users on this forum think Carleton can't do anything wrong. I just want people to recognize that he has clear flaws that he can develop and improve on. So when people say "Omg can't believe Carleton isn't playing, everyone is so dumb", instead of yelling into a echo chamber people should try and look at all sides of the situation.

Sure Escobar made a mistake too? Doesn't really change anything there.

frankburgers, USSoccerNova and C-Rob repped this.
  4. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I think I understand this pretty well, and you are trying to act demeaning, as if you are some authority. The user said "he needs to shut down the counter and press the backline".

You took one example in the match to try to prove that he doesn't do that well. Its clear as day for anyone who wants to look at what was said.

I've mentioned many times before that I think he's underrated defensively, and I believe I've specifically referenced his pressing before. If you want to disagree, you obviously can, but lets not take one gif as evidence for this narrative.

And on his pressing and defense, I think a lot just assume he must be bad, they don't actually go through the analysis of it. He's not the fastest, people sometimes say he's out of shape/overweight, he's very creative, has his share of turnovers, people question his character at times, so the narrative goes that he must be bad defensively. If you were to look for attributes that fit the narrative of a bad defensive attacking mid, there you go.

5. Tactical Hipster

Dec 23, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I apologize if I am coming off as demeaning, that is not my intent. I just think that your initial response didn't directly have to do with my response. I am in no way, shape, or form some authority. I am some rando typing a few paragraphs about a teenager's pressing ability.

I took one example as evidence, I don't know how else to support an argument other than providing a piece of evidence? I'd prefer to not go back and rewatch old games to provide more evidence. One piece of gif definitely doesn't prove any overarching narrative or prove any point here, but it supports my point.

I also think your whole last paragraph is arguing against a narrative that I don't prescribe to and definitely don't allude to in my previous response.

I think he will be good at pressing over time of development in AUFC's system, but I haven't seen much evidence to prove otherwise.

6. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Its no issue, although I do believe your post came off like that. We can return to the topic, as none of us are experts. That one gif may very well be indicative of a constant problem, I tend to think it was just one bad play. Happens with everyone from time to time, especially a 17 year old playing against professionals.

But overall, and this is only my opinion (you seem to disagree about this), I think Carleton is rather underrated defensively. I think he shows a commitment to defense a lot more than most attacking mids, he is willing to put in tackles, he's a smart player, can read plays better than a lot of players, and I think he has good reactions. I constantly see Carleton poke the ball away from attackers. He's not one to put in crunching tackles, but you don't need that from an attacking mid.

It is true that covering the most ground is helpful for the press, a guy who's 6'4 with long strides and speed probably will cover more ground than Carleton, but he doesn't need to be the best presser. I think he's decent at it, anyway. Also, I can specifically remember the first game against Mexico during U-17 WCQ where he put in a really good defensive shift, and he got a lot of praise for that. He didn't even have such a good game offensively, but most praised his performance, almost solely due to his defensive contributions. I think he does struggle at times with his 90 minute fitness, but thats partially because of how active he is on average per minute compared to other players.

7. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    The thing is the u17s ran a press the whole cycle so I doubt it's a foreign idea to him.

8. Tactical Hipster

Dec 23, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is true, it benefits him that he has played on a pressing team on national team duty as well as club. They are slightly different styles of pressing I think, but it definitely helps him

9. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    FWIW, as the first guy to mention defense and press with respect to Carleton. I don't have a firm idea one way or another about how good Carleton is at this. The reason I mentioned it is because we were getting clip after clip of his offensive contribution and that seemed to me to be only about 60% of the story.

Tactical Hipster repped this.
  10. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    '97 RB Kyle Duncan had a successful trial, and was signed.

Gorky and Tactical Hipster repped this.
  11. Tactical Hipster

Dec 23, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Might be digging in a bad hole here, but is Duncan a HG signing now? I assume Moreno's HG contract expired by now too

12. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. Tactical Hipster

Dec 23, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well he got waived and will sign with the USL team, so it’s irrelevant now.