YNT-eligible lower-division pro players: 2019 In-season thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Luksarus, Mar 9, 2019.

1. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    1174164859098947584 is not a valid tweet id

2. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Bello's play from yesterday. He drew a penalty. He was excellent going forward. Better than some recent performances defensively, although still not great. He still doesn't look as fluid athletically. Let's see where his athleticism is at after the offseason. It's hard to return mid-season from a long injury.

1174517149584515072 is not a valid tweet id

Something else I wanted to mention is who took this penalty, and this is something that I don't like watching these USL games. We see it too often. A "veteran" player took the ball off the young kids and demanded he take the penalty. Jack Metcalf, who now has all of two career goals (both penalties he bullied his way into taking because he's a veteran), took the ball from Carleton who wanted to take it. Carleton had already scored in the game (4 in last 3 games), and Bello also could've taken it. He drew it, and he's a real prospect.

Wouldn't Atlanta United prefer their homegrown players to take it instead of an average USL veteran RB? It's purely selfish from Metcalf, and the type of thing that shouldn't be happening. This guy is supposed to be there in this reserve team to help out the young players, but I've noticed that he's one of these selfish lower-league veterans that demands to take set pieces because he's the captain, even though he doesn't possess the skillset for it.

btlove, bballshawn and Arantes repped this.
  3. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    ussoccer97531 and Peretz48 repped this.
  4. Tactical Hipster

Dec 23, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Complete conjecture, but maybe this is like when Haji Wright "played" for the Cosmos? Just train professionally and maybe get a few appearances for OCSC until he goes to Europe at 18.

DC seems like a team that if a player has no interest in signing with the first team, would just push them off the side. Once again, this is based off not much more than a hunch, so grain of salt etc etc

don Lamb and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  5. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Smart idea on his part. He can’t join a team in Europe until the summer transfer window. That would be no football for nearly a year. I wouldn’t be surprised if this deal extends into next season where he’ll play with them for the first half of that season, as well. It wouldn’t make much sense to only sign for the next few months, considering he’s going to miss a lot of that time for the U-17 WC.

6. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He definitely looks like he's more in control in this video than I remember him being, but he also looks less explosive. I'm hoping Atlanta knows what they're doing with their players' athleticism since they don't really have a good track record of having a controlled environment for Carleton and especially Goslin, who looked way more muscular than a soccer player should be the last time I saw him, especially in his chest.

It also likely negates any TC that Wolfsburg would have to pay to DC since MLS is on record as not demanding TC from USL clubs.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  7. Kombucha

Kombucha Member+

Jul 1, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    That record will change

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  8. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TC must be paid out every time a player is transferred until he turns 23.

9. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Isn't it Solidarity that is paid out during a transfer? I thought TC was only paid out when the player signs their first pro contract. I definitely could be wrong here.

10. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    #760 ielag, Sep 19, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
    TC is until 23, and solidarity payments are for a player’s entire career.

I think this OCSC getting in on that, which is smart by them. Or there may already be a deal in place with a Euro club and OCSC “sells” Kayo when he turns 18 for maybe a future sell on fee.

11. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Gotcha. Thanks for the clarity.

MLS recently said it was honoring/seeking solidarity and TC for international transfers, but USSF still holds the position that it's not in line with US Law, I think.

Do we think OCSC gets paid? I supposed some clubs will just send the money, but I suppose there's a place here where a club doesn't send it and USSF wouldn't have an issue with that.

12. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    USSoccerNova repped this.
  13. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought TC was only for a player's first professional contract? My thoughts were that if he had a 1 year pro contract with OCSC, then Wolfsburg's eventual free contract signing would mean DC gets nothing since it was second.

14. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    "Under the FIFA Regulations, when a player registers as a professional for the first time in a country other than the one where he did his training, the club with which he registers is responsible for paying Training Compensation to every club that contributed to his training, starting from the season of his 12th birthday through the season of his 21st birthday. Additionally, Training Compensation is due on a player’s subsequent international transfer through the season of his 23rd birthday to his immediately prior professional club. "

TarHeels17 and Balerion repped this.
  15. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
  16. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the release, his nationality is listed as Mexican, but his place of birth is listed as Riverside.

Sometimes clubs use "place of birth" and "hometown" interchangeably which can lead to confusion, but LAG said Riverside for both.

Wouldn't be the first time info in a club release was straight up wrong though.

17. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't believe he has been in any USYNT camps either, and while he's not a great prospect, he probably is good enough to have been called into a few camps by now, so the Mexican nationality might be the reason.

18. Zamphyr

Zamphyr Member

Mar 31, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Going back a couple of pages, the answer is PDL.
    https://www.tritonsusl.com/roster_players/32699305?mirror_id=4763269

19. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
  20. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hope AOC gets a ton of MLS minutes next year, that scoring rate on a bad team is good for the USL. He needs to move up.

21. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    Are Sounders 2 trending i the right direction after the horrible start? I’d imagine some of these guys will be back there next season and their record will improve as a result?

22. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    1175444094551822337 is not a valid tweet id

23. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Sounders2 is one team I'd like to see jump down to USL League 1.
    Any team whose primary mission is playing time for young and developing players should be in League 1. Swope Park Rangers has had a dismal season as well.

I don't know if playing against adult pros and losing badly on a consistent basis is actually great for development.

What's interesting to me is that TFCII and Orlando City B are REEEEAAALLY struggling in USL League One. They're the two worst teams in that division. I didn't anticipate that TFCII in particular would have half as many points as the Lansing Ignite. By the way, you know who is on Lansing? Fire homegrown Grant Lillard. Three-time First-Team All-Big Ten, Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year, and a First-Team All-American.................has gotten 4 games this season for the Lansing Ignite at the USL League One Level. What happened to him? Bad injury..............?

24. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    The USL Championship/League One dichotomy will sort itself out in the next season or two. MLS teams in USL have to determine what their goals are. While many of the MLS clubs have decided to go with younger players, the Galaxy seem to have decided to go the other way, i.e., try to compete with championship teams, but not full blown as in the case of non-MLS clubs, like Phoenix Rising. What the Galaxy II are trying to do is straddle the fence- bring in mature players and dot the roster here and there with youngsters like Adam Saldana. They're sitting right near the playoff line, so they still have a chance of making the playoffs.

25. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lillard was just there on loan for a stint. He’s gotten some games with the Fire as well.

Orlando City B seems to have no plan. They signed a random group of players who don’t seem that good.