YNT-eligible lower-division pro players: 2019 In-season thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Luksarus, Mar 9, 2019.

1. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #251 Clint Eastwood, May 20, 2019
    Last edited: May 20, 2019
    I think we need to give USL League One a couple more years before making any definitive conclusions. I think the

What we've seen so far is that FCD can field an academy team and get results in this division. That might say more about the FCD academy than the quality of the division.

Current League One table shows that the two worst teams are the other MLS reserve teams: Orlando B and TFC II...................(although TFC has games in hand).

upload_2019-5-20_7-36-52.png

What's interesting about NTSC is that they're having difficulty fielding a full 18. FCD has had expected injuries/suspensions/international callups.............so there are zero FCD first team players "playing down." Of course there are also international callups from this team (like Dante Sealy this week). There are also only 6 academy players allowed each week. This player shortage situation is more exacerbated for road games.

So when we look at some NTSC lineups and say "What's this mish-mash?"............that's the reason. You might say to yourself: I thought Jatta was a central midfielder. I thought they'd moved Almaguer to central midfield. I thought Bonilla was a left back. I thought Rayo was a winger/forward. I thought Tessman was a #10. And on and on. For road games in particular, the whole thing seems like they're just winging it. And they're getting results. What they need is for a few of these guys to sign USL deals like Pepi/Sealy did. Then with the "next 6" from the academy, they have more coverage.

Balerion repped this.
  2. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I think it's exactly this. Convert a few more NTX regulars to USL deals and things loosen up with the academy call ups considerably.

I'm guessing FC Dallas is having trouble getting some of the players to agree to USL deals. That will come in time, as proof-of-concept solidifies. It's not that long ago that it was hard to get some of the better American prospects to leave college for an MLS deal.

BTW, it doesn't reflect well on Hector Montalvo that he can't get a start during this period.

3. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Missed this earlier, but '01 Jose Gallegos made his USL-C debut for San Antonio. Difficult to keep track of all the YNT-eligibles in lower divisions.

4. Peter Bonetti

Peter Bonetti Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    1970 WC Quarterfinal
    Good point about it being hard to keep track of now - but also worth it to keep track of. The very club that you are posting about is sitting on top of a mountain of families that have loved the game for generations and that is what leads to a high quality pipeline for top prospects. San Antonio is definitely a club worth the effort of following. Thank you!

USSoccerNova and ChuckMe92 repped this.
  5. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I don't think Montalvo has played a minute this season. It actually doesn't make sense, because he played a lot in preseason. So I've been suspecting that he has some sort of injury or personal issue. Don't know......................

BY the way, lest we forget, Hector Montalvo is another player from El Paso :)

6. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #256 Clint Eastwood, May 23, 2019
    Last edited: May 23, 2019
    North Texas SC played a game last night against Madison. Good guys come away with a 3-1 victory. Lots of firsts here. Not pictured below is the first appearance at this level for USYNTer/Mexico YNTer Julian Hinojosa, who came on as a second half sub. Dante Sealy is back from his time with the U16s, but didn't get off the bench. Academy youngster Gibran Rayo, Johan Gomez, and Hinojosa did.

Here's a goal by sporadic USYNTer David Rodriguez.

Also, first goal at this level for academy youngster Almaguer.

Look at this pass from Tanner Tessman. LOOK AT IT!

TarHeels17 and Tactical Hipster repped this.
  7. Runhard

Runhard Member+

Barcelona
    United States
    Jul 5, 2018
    Pretty sloppy game overall. Still not convinced this any better for the Academy kids than playing DA and doing international tournaments. USL journeyman are bigger and stronger but skill level is pretty poor. Lots of missed control, bad passes with no pressure, miss hit balls, scuffed kicks etc.

ussoccer97531 and TarHeels17 repped this.
  8. watke

watke Member

United States
    May 9, 2019
    There also seems to be a pronounced drop off from USL Championship to League One from what I've watched.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  9. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    It's a different challenge for sure, but I think it's pretty valuable. From what I've watched of the Galaxy II, a lot of the academy prospects have a difficult time adjusting to the speed and physicality of the adult players. While the academy players might seem like they're ready for the first team, they need to at least be able to deal with players at this level. Probably a better test for defenders since they are primarily reacting rather than creating.

10. Kombucha

Kombucha Member+

Jul 1, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    The current level of USL League One is definitely lower than I anticipated although I wouldn't be surprised if the level increases a bit as the season progresses and these teams that have never played together gel and increase in sharpness.

As for the difference in League One and USSDA, I would suspect the gulf is pretty wide. There are a lot of USSDA teams that are pretty poor and FCD has a fairly substantial GD. I think the U17 and U19 have lost a combined 2 games and tied another ~5. How much can defenders/GK even get from games when they shell teams and dominate the ball? Also look at a player like Pepi who only played 8 games and scored 19 goals at the USSDA level. At least all the defenders in USL League One at least were good enough to play college and can match him physically.

Now international tournaments and USSDA playoffs where it is the best on the best still probably provide a lot of developmental value along with a different challenge, but week to week playing in League One seems like it would be better from these players.

11. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    '01 US U18 pool winger Sal Esposito made his USL-C debut for NYRB II. '01 FB Chris Tiao was also on the bench but didn't debut.

autobus39, Zamphyr and Luksarus repped this.
  12. Luksarus

Luksarus Member

United States
    Jul 27, 2018
    Austin Bold signed Roberto Avila '00 from Lonestar SC U18/19 (He has 14 goals in 20 matches this season). He was on the bench over the weekend against New Mexico.

Peter Bonetti repped this.
  13. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    There's probably quite a few academy players in USL League 2 right now, and in my corner of the country NCFC played current 4 academy players in their win last night against NC Fusion. Adam Armour (02, U17 YNT) went the full 90. George Marks, a 99 GK at Clemson who made a few U20 YNT camps, started for NCFC.

NCFC is focusing on playing almost entirely former academy players with 8 of their starting 11 NCFC Youth products.

14. Peter Bonetti

Peter Bonetti Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    1970 WC Quarterfinal
    That practice is what will one day make us great at soccer - whether it is PDL...er, League Two, or MLS or anywhere in between.

USSoccerNova repped this.
  15. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--

USSoccerNova repped this.
  16. Runhard

Runhard Member+

Barcelona
    United States
    Jul 5, 2018
    Gomez starting.

TarHeels17, USSoccerNova and watke repped this.
  17. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #267 Clint Eastwood, May 29, 2019
    Last edited: May 29, 2019
    THis roster shows us the bind that FCD is in for road games. Still can't field a full 18. I see no backup keeper. They don't even have their full allotment of academy players. I see 4 (Gomez, Bonilla, Tessman, Rayo). The FCD U19s have a key game tomorrow against local rivals Solar.

I kinda predict their first loss here........................away at TFCII

18. Runhard

Runhard Member+

Barcelona
    United States
    Jul 5, 2018
    FCD 2 losing 1-0 twelve minutes in.

19. Runhard

Runhard Member+

Barcelona
    United States
    Jul 5, 2018
    Can Sealy not even get a start for FCD2 or is he injured?

20. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    switching to this now from the europa league final

21. Runhard

Runhard Member+

Barcelona
    United States
    Jul 5, 2018
    Looks like pepi missed a one v one and Toronto scored again. Clint has a crystal ball.

22. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    pretty goal for (i think) pepi after a lovely chipped through ball

23. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    An MLS rotation player would have 2 goals with Pepi's chances. He's gotten in behind a few times. Have to give him some credit for the runs. It's not like the one finish on the break he missed was bad. Took it early from some distance and it struck the inside of the post. The other one from an angle he scuffed. Had some decent hold-up mixed with donk touches.

I hope to see better play from him and North Texas going in the other direction. Wind is a factor in the quality of the match (the venue is really amateurish, by an airport, and shoddy ground, enclosure, and seating). But it's around what we typically see at this level. Admittedly I've seen very little because of that perception. Thought this one was worth special viewing. I'm happy for the local players they have a better mode of development, but US 2nd tier, let alone 3rd, is hardly a spectacle.

24. Runhard

Runhard Member+

Barcelona
    United States
    Jul 5, 2018
    There is no stopping the Pepi train once he gets going!! But I agree, probably should have at least one more. The goal was a nice chip and composed finish.

25. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Pepi has so many goals for which he's seemingly all alone. He's missed another couple of chances like this today..................