YNT-eligible lower-division pro players: 2018 In-season thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Mar 13, 2018.

1. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Very good player, IMO.

ChuckMe92 and Dirt McGirt repped this.
  2. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Again, it seems to be becoming a common theme that the only players who are willing to sign USL deals are young hispanic players. Albeit a stereotype, it seems like a USL contract is becoming an option over college for low-income players.

xbhaskarx repped this.
  3. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    #78 Dave Marino-Nachison, Apr 11, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
    Also worth noting that some of these guys might've gone into a Mexican academy in the past. The new-ish rules down there about going down young to make sure you are registered as a local player might actually work in domestic clubs' favor since you increasingly have a U.S. pro option out of high school without having to go to Mexico before you graduate.

With that said, Mexican clubs have deep scouting networks here. There are guys who were evidently spotted not only at Alianza events, but even junior colleges. They will presumably raise their recruiting games, too.

xbhaskarx and TarHeels17 repped this.
  4. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Of the 13 01s and 02s signed to either MLS or USL teams, all but one are black or Latinx.

This is part of a greater trend. Look at the US players who either skip college or leave early to go pro, and most of them are either black, Hispanic or immigrants or the children of immigrants. Or a combination thereof.

Most of the players in MLS who played four years of college soccer are white.

xbhaskarx repped this.
  5. Kombucha

Kombucha Member+

Jul 1, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    I am painting with a broad brush, but all most all white players come from backgrounds where the family puts a premium on college and doesn't need money from their children to improve their situation.

I think that precludes many of them from taking a USL deal. They would rather go to college at this point. I wouldn't be surprise if that starts to change because their is a perception now that is spreading that college soccer is bad for development, leads to injuries due to compressed schedule and subsequently the player is falling behind by playing it.

I think MLS contracts are different and a player from any race or background will sign it at roughly the same percentage. USL contracts that lack both the prestige and monetary windfalls of MLS deals will skew lower-SES.

6. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    GA deals are really valuable to players (given the relative money and roster protection) which, one might guess, is at least partly why the league is doing fewer of them, ramping up HG and MLS2 deals instead. In the end I suspect it all comes down to money and leverage, with "personal desire to be a pro" the possible X factor.

7. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very young lineup for Sounders 2, most notably Gonzalez, Malone, and Serrano. Azriel contributed to their first goal.

8. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's a fun way of looking at that.
    ---------------88------------
    01------------95---------02
    -----00---------------00----
    99-----93----------01---93
    ---------------89-------------

And that's with '99 Rogers, a usual starter, on the bench alongside '00 Fowler, who has played for this team this year. '00s Threadgold and Brisco have appeared also, as have '99s Rudy Stretch and now full-time first teamer Handwalla Bwana. They also just signed '02 USYNTer Ocampo-Chavez.

I mean, I don't know if any of these guys are top level prospects, but I'm glad Seattle is showing this ludicrous amount of commitment to their academy.

As an aside, this is exactly what Dallas should be doing with their USL team next year. There's too much talent in their academy to not have their whole USL team be from the academy. Seattle has the right idea here.

Pl@ymaker, TxEx, ielag and 4 others repped this.
  9. Anderson11

Anderson11 Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is that official?

10. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ledezma made his debut:

Pl@ymaker, bballshawn, Peretz48 and 3 others repped this.
  11. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #86 TarHeels17, Apr 12, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
    As the main conductor of Richie's hype train, I support @zlebmada shoveling coal into the furnace.

Also, Sebastian Soto should be next, considering he has *checks stats* 34 goals in 21 games for the U19s.

zlebmada, Pl@ymaker, ChuckMe92 and 3 others repped this.
  12. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Ledezma is playing as an academy player, still, right? He hasn't signed with RSL or Royal Monarchs yet, correct?

13. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Justin Vom Steeg, Hugo Arrellano and Ethan Zubak all started for LA Galaxy 2 in a 1-0 loss to Phoenix Rising last night. Ulysses Lanez played the second half.

Collin Fernandez started for Phoenix.

Pl@ymaker, ChuckMe92 and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  14. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correct, although I wouldn't be surprised to see him get an MLS/USL deal soon. Once he learns how to play with adults, he has all the tools to succeed in a Jona Gonzalez role.

He's literally on the same path right now. I'm not saying that Richie is going to be in the MLS best XI next year, but he's technical defensive mid that the youth teams use at winger. Just needs to work on his defensive positioning and ball winning and he's a really good prospect.

Pl@ymaker, bballshawn and Sandon Mibut repped this.
  15. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    As far as I know.......................not official.
    FCD brass (Hunt, Clavijo, Pareja) have alluded to it repeatedly.

https://www.fcdallas.com/post/2017/...espn-soccer-today-talk-hall-fame-usl-team-and

“The partnership in Oklahoma City has been good, but it’s also been a bit of a challenge…we’re bringing players back and forth, and that’s not fair to that organization too because they need to train players all week,” Hunt told the show. “We believe that having a USL team is key to our ongoing success and so we have been working on that I would say we’re much further down the road. It’s not just bringing a USL team, it’s talking venue too and whether Toyota Stadium is the right place or somewhere else in the Metroplex.”

With even more Homegrown talent on the horizon, it’s something that needs to happen sooner rather than later.

“We’re really at this tipping point of having young players, or professionals come through in mass quantity. We’ve been projecting out with our 16s and 14s teams in our academy system and a couple of those teams have as many as 8 to 10 young men we project to be professional soccer players,” Hunt said. “We’re going to wind up taking a big step in USL, it’s just a matter of where we’re going to have that team. We’re there.”

16. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those are pretty strong words from Hunt. And that's from 2017. So surely they will finally have a USL team in 2018. Wait what year is it now?

Pl@ymaker, TheFalseNine and bballshawn repped this.
  17. ckajMonet

ckajMonet Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 8, 2017
    Pl@ymaker, ChuckMe92 and bballshawn repped this.
  18. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Ocampo-Chavez was on the bench for Sounders 2. I don't know why he's not at the U-17 camp, if he's healthy. He's one of the best players on the team, and has played a big role so far this cycle.

19. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    What's the deal with Malone? He isn't as good as he looked at Adidas Cup?

20. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I would love to find out that Seattle didn't release him because they wanted him for this S2 game. Give me a game against adult professionals over the India U17s any day.....................

21. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, whatever the reasoning was, he didn't get into the S2 game.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  22. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Sure. And FCD wouldn't release Pomykal for the U20 camp because they wanted him on the first team roster. They didn't end up using him either.

Count me as somebody who has no problem with any MLS club rejecting a callup for a youngster because they want him on the gameday roster of an MLS or USL game.

[I don't actually know if that was the case here. I'm just sayin']

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  23. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Where are you getting that from? Did he struggle in USL?

24. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    No, I just expected him to be called to NT. He looked like the best player on his Seattle team.

25. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Malone is too old for the U17s

ussoccer97531 and butters59 repped this.