YNT-eligible lower-division pro players: 2018/19 Offseason thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Nov 14, 2018.

1. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    [​IMG]

While we're discussing important things, '97 Adrian Vera re-signed with Los Dos:

Vera, of Norwalk, Calif., is set for his fourth full season with Los Dos, having joined the professional ranks with the USL Championship side in 2015 at the age of 18.

Vera has made 71 appearances for LA Galaxy II since his signing in 2015. In that time, he has scored seven goals and provided five assists for Los Dos.​

https://www.uslchampionship.com/news_article/show/979618

Winoman and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  2. Brotheryoungbuck

Jan 24, 2015
    parts unknown
    https://www.brotherlygame.com/2018/...da-bethlehem-steel-philadelphia-union-academy

A lot of something in this one. 17 year old US U19 Nathan Harriel is coming to Phillys academy/BSC. The kid decomitted to Clemson, to try get a pro contract, seems odd that he would decomit and not just wait and see if he was going pro. It’s an interesting precedent. I have a lot of thoughts on this, most of which I’m too tired to explore. One quick one: academies like Dallas, LA, and RSL may produce the best/most players, but what Philly has may be more valuable if they can consistently recruit like this.

USSoccerNova repped this.
  3. Tactical Hipster

Dec 23, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sandon Mibut repped this.
  5. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    TarHeels17 repped this.
  6. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I thought he plays LB.

7. Runhard

Runhard Member+

Barcelona
    United States
    Jul 5, 2018
    Last time I saw him play, Dallas Cup final a few years ago he was at center back.

Could be another Matt Hedges.

8. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I'm almost sure that I remember him playing LB. Maybe he played both. I remember thinking he should've been playing CB.

9. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I suspect your are mistaken.

TCS35 repped this.
  10. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #85 Clint Eastwood, Jan 4, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
    Terwege played left back on occasion. Can't remember Brecc Evans doing so.

Brecc and Damus are the kinds of players that this FCD USL should be signing. Raw materials. Damus in particular has an enormous amount of physical skill. If his game can be molded and developed, he could be an MLS player. By the way, I'm not sure he was at the academy long enough to actually sign an MLS homegrown deal. So we'll just have to see where that goes.

Evans was always overshadowed by the CB partners he played with at FCD. You put Evans next to Chris Richards, and it was fairly clear which of the two had the elite ceiling. Evans was just steady, steady, steady. Sometimes players like that end up being Jordan Cano, and sometimes they end up being Michael Parkhurst. He had a lot of injuries while in the academy. If not, we might have seen him more with USYNTs.

Here's a little video of him from his NCAA signing night.

TCS35 and USSoccerNova repped this.
  11. Kombucha

Kombucha Member+

Jul 1, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    I like that FCD put the contract details in the announcement.

1 + 1 for Damus and 2 + 1 for Evans

STANDFAST repped this.
  12. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Indeed. Also illustrative, if only two data points, of what it takes for different types of players to accept USL contracts.

13. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I said before that I think of this Austin team as having a ton of potential in terms of player development. There's talent there in Central Texas to mine. I'd have preferred San Antonio, whatever...………………….

15. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Would think this will be the MLS owned teams moving to USL L1 eventually.

“Right now, the Championship has 36 professional teams competing, and we’re launching League One with 10 professional clubs,” said Edwards in an interview about USL’s long-term strategy. “So it’s 46 professional teams across the country in our set-up right now. We’re looking at the ideal number [in the Championship] somewhere around 38 or 40, and that’s where we’re going to top out and cease expansion. What that means is there will be a number of teams—probably 10 or 12—currently in our Championship that will come out of our league over the next years and go into League One."

https://www.si.com/soccer/2019/01/1...ign=social-share-article&utm_content=20190114

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  17. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Yup. They might get there.

Need to build up League One over the next couple of seasons before it can even be entertained.

Also, I would just say that the clubs actually in League One are there for a reason. I don't think they care all that much about results, and just want to focus on player development. So do those clubs really care about promotion to the Championship? I'm not sure..................

Do we want Los Dos in the Championship to be so concerned about being relegated that they take their eyes off of player development? Probably not.

19. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What makes you think MLS II teams will suddenly "take their eyes off player development" just because they might get relegated? They would be getting "relegated" into a division that you think is better for their development anyway, so why would they care?

Whatever level they want to be in, the goal has always been to develop players. Otherwise, there's no reason to start an LAG II, or ATL II. Clubs would never be able to make money on their investment through anything other than developing players.

20. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC

Anyone care to guess who the two European giant clubs interested in owning USL One teams might be?

21. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll say Barca as one just because of the interest they've shown in the DA and NWSL. For the other, I'll guess Roma because https://www.soctakes.com/2018/09/27/as-roma-usl-cali/

xbhaskarx and Luksarus repped this.
  22. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    way out of my lane here, but wouldnt this make a lot of sense for like a dutch club that could basically lessen the blow of having to pay the higher wages by having a higher degree of certainty about the players quality since developed him?

23. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It seems unlikely that a Dutch club that struggles to afford non-EU wages would have the funds to invest in a minor league soccer team in the US.

That said, you never know what club will embark on a quixotic, doomed quest in the nether regions of the US soccer pyramid. Crystal Palace, Deportivo Alavés, and Rayo Vallecano aren't exactly the titans of Europe, but they're the ones who actually put money down.

don Lamb repped this.
  25. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tom Collingsworth repped this.