YNT-eligible lower-division pro players: 2018/19 Offseason thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Nov 14, 2018.

1. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Ferreira had a good USL stint. I think he belongs in MLS.

What type of coach is Dallas going to hire? They have 3 MLS ready U-20's, and it becomes 4 if Richards isn't signed by Bayern.

Are they going to use these players? If not, they should be released from their contracts and allowed to sign elsewhere.

2. Runhard

Runhard Member+

Barcelona
    United States
    Jul 5, 2018

Not sure how much inside information the writer of the article has but that's a lot of speculation. I had heard Rezdic already turned down a HG offer from FCD but could be wrong.

He also has a lot of young players on the first team and I assume getting time, Paxton, Servania, Reynolds if Reggie leave, Ferrarra. If the new coach is anything like Oscar no way that many young kids make the roster and play much of a role.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  3. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The other thing is that realistically, there are going to be non-academy-related players on the team. A lot of MLS teams with reserve teams sign most of their draft picks to USL contracts and pick up a few teenage internationals or young recent NCAA players in hopes of finding the next Aaron Long.

4. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Snip from SKC:

The club also announced it had exercised contract options on midfielder Rassambek Akhmatov and forward Ethan Vanacore-Decker, while four Sporting KC Academy products remain under contract for 2019 including 2018 USL 20 Under 20 selection Felipe Hernandez, fellow midfielders Camilo Benitez and Will Little, and forward Wilson Harris.

https://www.uslchampionship.com/news_article/show/973500

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  5. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I agree about Ferreira. He played well at a USL level, so games at USL first division is a step down.

We'll have to see where he stands after all of the offseason moves, expansion draft, free agent signings etc. are completed.

As of this moment I can see him shuttling his way between the first team and the USL team. He's still only going to be 18 when the next season starts.

There are rumors that they already know the identity of their first team coach for both the MLS team and the USL team. My gut instinct tells me Luchi Gonzalez for the USL team and Tab Ramos for the MLS team. But they could stay internal for both hires.

ussoccer97531 and TheFalseNine repped this.
  6. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Peretz48, TarHeels17, Winoman and 2 others repped this.
  7. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Huge news at the FCD USL team announcement today.

First signing in team history?

That would be US U17 Ricardo Pepi!!!

[​IMG]

KUSA77, Pl@ymaker, ChuckMe92 and 3 others repped this.
  8. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    [​IMG]

Folks watching this presentation would have been thrilled with the comments of Dan Hunt. He made a big deal about the slash upward on the logo. He explained as representing the pathway upward from the academy to the first team of FC Dallas. He said he felt like he had a really special generation of 14-21 year olds in the academy, and that this is really an important bridge that needed to be built.

We'll see how this team operates, but it sure seems that this team isn't going to be full of a bunch of MLS rejects. This is going to be, as much as possible, a team for young academy players growing into the first team.

I hope we hear more player announcement shortly. Would not be surprised to hear about a whole slew of signings from the NCAAs and the academy for this roster.

KUSA77, don Lamb, Pl@ymaker and 3 others repped this.
  9. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clint, remind me. This isn't a USL team, right? Isn't it like a lower-level USL team? I've been out of the loop.

10. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Its called USL League One. So essentially the 2nd division of the USL.
    Some other teams like Orlando and Toronto have joined the league as well.

Basically, I think this is going to grow into a league where development is much more important than results. The problem with the top USL league right now (other than the crazy amount of teams) is that half the league wants to win (the Louisville, Sacramento teams) and half don't care so much about results (the LAGII type of clubs).

don Lamb and TheFalseNine repped this.
  11. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Pl@ymaker repped this.
  12. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
  14. Runhard

Runhard Member+

Barcelona
    United States
    Jul 5, 2018
    #39 Runhard, Dec 7, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2018

Recall Pepi's first games with the U13 FCD academy in Guadalajara Mexico as a guest player with the U13 Academy team years ago. A parent at the tournament was texting me game updates and they looked like this:

1. one minute in--guest player scores,
    2. 5 mintues in--guest player scores again,
    3. 15 minutes in--guest player scores again,
    4. right before half, guest player scores again.

At that point figured he would be moving on from the u13 team and he did after 6 months.

He has done well at every level and hope he does well in USL and gets a chance to get to Europe at 18. Wonder if these USL contracts are three years and done or they include the 2 year club option. Have heard different things and more in the way of the players are now demanding they have the option to leave at 18.

Good luck Pepi..

KUSA77, Pl@ymaker, Winoman and 1 other person repped this.
  15. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #40 TheFalseNine, Dec 7, 2018
    Anderson11, xbhaskarx, TxEx and 3 others repped this.
  16. Runhard

Runhard Member+

Barcelona
    United States
    Jul 5, 2018

Wonder how all this effects Dante Sealy at FCD and if he will get a deal from FCD. Figured he would be the first 2003 at FCD to sign a deal but it was Pepi. Personally think Pepi has a higher ceiling but figure Dante will be on the USL team as well.

17. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #42 Clint Eastwood, Dec 7, 2018
    Yup. I have no idea what a USL League One contract for a 15 year old would look like :) Best guess. Two years on a minimal 40k/year salary? If all goes well, one has to assume that the club will want to sign him to an MLS deal. Then its up to the player and his family whether they want to pursue that.

I really liked the pathway that NYRB had Tyler Adams on. He was only on a USL deal for one season. [I don't know how long kids like Auston Trusty and Jaylin Lindsey were, but that also seemed like only a year.]

2015: USL Deal/Introduction to USL
    2016: MLS Deal/Full-time USL/Introduction to MLS
    2017: MLS Deal/Squad rotation in MLS/Introduction to USMNT
    2018: MLS Deal/Full-time MLS starter/USMNT regular
    2019: Transfer to Bundesliga in winter transfer window

Interestingly, current academy players can play games in this USL League One without a contract (and without losing NCAA eligiblity). The rules are going to be even more loose than the top USL league. So what is driving a kid like Pepi to actually sign a USL contract? I mean, yes, a paycheck. In a way, I don't understand what the motivation is for a Dante Sealy to sign. [I understand what the motivation is for FCD........................] I would want a Chris Richards-level MLS contract (125k) in order to sign. I can then be loaned back down from MLS to the USL as a teenager.

BTW, yet another kid from El Paso. That's been a nice little talent pathway for FCD. El Paso is closer to California than it is to DFW. Other clubs can exploit that city too as its not in anybody's homegrown territory. And yet FCD has put the work in there and is reaping the rewards.

Sandon Mibut, TxEx and TheFalseNine repped this.
  18. Runhard

Runhard Member+

Barcelona
    United States
    Jul 5, 2018
    I heard the contract is more like 2k a month and most likely a 3 year deal. But no inside information on that front. If that is the case, I could see the benefit for Pepi to get paid for playing and then try his luck in Europe at 18, or if no overseas options maybe sign the MLS deal.

The ability to play USL and keep college eligibility is a big plus for the academy kids so they will know where they stand before they are 18. If they are not getting minutes on the USL team is probably a pretty good indication the MLS deal is not forthcoming and Europe is not an option, college is probably your best choice.

FCD is tied in very well to El Paso and send coaches out there on a regular basis. They bring in kids from el paso all year long on trial for the academies and keep the ones they want.

The major question is will the USL2 team be a higher level of play than the U19 Academy? Not certain it will be, but interested to see. If it is some young academy kids and then some 28 year old has beens or never weres then it may not be a great place to be. I could see rough, out of control hap hazard soccer as the style of play.

I guess someone with more experience watching USL lower level teams would know.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  19. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Hard to know what the quality of USL League One will be. Its going to take a few years before it gets up to speed.

Worth noting that FCD can still loan a player to the first division of USL if they think that's the appropriate level instead of League One. I don't think Brandon Servania, Jesus Ferreira, Paxton Pomykal, etc. will get anything whatsoever out of USL League One. They should be MLS players. But if MLS playing time isn't available, they can be loaned to OKC, Tulsa, Austin, El Paso, etc. [El Paso and Austin are new to the USL Championship in 2019.] And of course a player like Thomas Roberts can be loaned to Bayern Munich as well. When Pepi is 18 a couple of years from now, that could be on the table for him as well. I'd like to see at least one FCD teenager at Bayern U19s at all times.

20. bpet15

bpet15 Member+

Oct 4, 2016
    Not sure where I read it, but I am certain I read yesterday the deal was a 4 year deal.

I may be looking at this incorrectly, but I don't think any team would sign a kid at 15 to a deal that doesn't bring him past his 18th birthday. They would risk losing him on a free if not locking him up well past his 18th birthday.

On the other hand, agents and players are going to become smarter as the influx of Americans to Europe continues. Release clauses at a realistic level (good for club and good for players) will start becoming part of these deals.

Tom Collingsworth and Zamphyr repped this.
  21. Runhard

Runhard Member+

Barcelona
    United States
    Jul 5, 2018
    You could be right and that would lock Pepi up until he is 19 if no club option. It's a hard deal for the club because you are right the kids will want out at 18 but then the club gained no benefit from the deal. At least at FCD they can point to the Bayern situation as a club they could send them to for training and possible transfer while under an MLS deal. FCD should work to set up more deals like this with clubs all over Europe.

Just think if they could sign them to MLS deals and tell the players they have deals with La Liga teams, Bundesliga teams and EPL teams like they have with Bayern and they could get over there at 18 or 19. FCD makes money and the player has a chance to excel in Europe. The Chris Richards deal is a great example.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  22. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    I'm old enough to remember when MLS teams were criticized for offering young players contracts that were too long.

23. Kombucha

Kombucha Member+

Jul 1, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    I would imagine the level of play would of USL League One would be around roughly equivalent to mid level college soccer, but with an emphasis on development versus winning and a normal schedule.

A lot of young players and recently graduated college players. The level will likely not be that dissimilar to USL on a rank and file basis, but a lot of the higher end USL teams have 4-6 experienced ringers on them. Guys that could probably play a role in MLS and make a decent living playing pro soccer.

USL League One will be prospects (both young and just out of college) guys out of college that want to play pro soccer for a couple years before starting a career and a few semi-pro type older players that work other jobs. The MLS clubs will be mostly all prospects while the stand alone clubs more of the latter.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  24. bpet15

bpet15 Member+

Oct 4, 2016
    We are on the cusp of something here, just not exactly sure what it is. US based agents have a new crop of players and will need to learn some new negotiating tactics when doing contracts. No more is it only about getting as much $ for as long as they can.

They need find ways to get their players freed up should a European club come after one of their clients. Release clauses that pay back wages + additional funds should be first on their list. Sell on % fees for the clubs when they sell a player to a European club should be first on the clubs list.

Just for shits and giggles - lets say Pepi is wanted by a European club on his 18th birthday. A release clause of "past wages + 50%" wouldn't scare away any suitors and FCD would get their money back and then some. As a condition of the sale, FCD could get 10-20% of any future sell on fees. These deals are done everyday across the world - I hope they begin here in the US. It is a win-win for all parties involved.

We will turn the corner as a soccer nation when we realize we are a selling nation and our best players are playing at the highest levels. Use the money to reinvest in the Academies to constantly churn out more players to sell.

gunnerfan7, KUSA77, don Lamb and 3 others repped this.
  25. Runhard

Runhard Member+

Barcelona
    United States
    Jul 5, 2018

Particularly if he is making 24K a year, that would be peanuts for any euro team to pay his past wages and add 50%.

The next question is how do you incentivize the non-MLS clubs to get involved? Richards club the Houston Texans should get a part of the transfer fee (reported to be 1.25mil) that is being paid to FCD as Richards spent time at Houston Texans during his primary years. If they get that figured out and non-MLS da clubs get paid as well, it could open up a new era of focus on development of players and not worrying about winning so much.