YNT-eligible lower-division pro players: 2018/19 Offseason thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Nov 14, 2018.

1. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Winoman and TheFalseNine repped this.
  2. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
  4. ckajMonet

ckajMonet Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 8, 2017
    They're returning. I've read that there will be another signing from the academy but not sure who it will be

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  5. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    ussoccer97531 repped this.
  6. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Come on with this official team photo

[​IMG]

7. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Inbox: A new-ish pro circuit, with some familiar names, for next season:

The National Premier Soccer League (NPSL) today announced that an established group of 11 clubs stretching across the United States have launched a new league in association with the NPSL. The clubs will compete in the first-ever NPSL Founders Cup competition that will run from August to November 2019. That competition will lead to a full league schedule in the spring to fall of 2020. These clubs will be making a full-time commitment to their markets and will include professional players, coaches, and staff.

The 11 founding members include ASC San Diego, Cal FC, California United Strikers FC, Chattanooga FC, Detroit City FC, FC Arizona, Miami FC, Miami United FC, Milwaukee Torrent, New York Cosmos, and Oakland Roots, and plans are being developed to add additional clubs.​

8. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
  9. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good stuff. That's exactly what should be happening.

On a tangential note, does anyone keep track of these USL signings for youth players? I'd like to see a list of how many players are on pro USL contracts but are eligible for YNT games. From a quick count, I see:

Selmir Miscic
    Wilson Harris
    Aaron Cervantes
    Roberto Hategan
    Ethan Bryant
    Eric Lopez
    Harold Hansen
    Alex Ocampo-Chavez
    Danny Robles
    Danny Leyva
    Alec Diaz
    Marlon Vargas
    Ray Serrano
    Sam Rogers
    Azriel Gonzalez
    Carlos Avilez
    Jordan Bender
    Luc Granitur

I'm curious if there's anyone else.

Sombrerito, USSoccerNova and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  10. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are going to be a ton this coming year because many 97s will be done with college and moving into the pros at various levels.

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  11. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
  12. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    And so it begins...…………

13. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Also, from the inbox:

TAMPA, Fla. – The United Soccer League (USL) announced today that its USL Championship clubs have officially recognized the USL Players Association (USLPA) as an independent labor union and the exclusive bargaining representative of their players.​

14. Peter Bonetti

Peter Bonetti Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    1970 WC Quarterfinal
    #16 Peter Bonetti, Nov 28, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
    With all of these soccer specific stadiums being built in USL - some nice, some basic - the league is becoming a more attractive and stable place for a young player to play in and possibly, in the future, make a decent living.

Louisville City's new stadium will seat 11,300 and looks like it will be a very nice USL level stadium in what is becoming an extremely nice part of town. The team very well could become an important part of the local culture once the stadium opens and that is the type of environment that you want young players playing in.

https://www.uslchampionship.com/news_article/show/971902

It is also the kind of example that you want other owners learning from and following in order to keep up. What happened in MLS, stadium-wise appears to be happening in USL. Awesome.

don Lamb, TxEx, TheFalseNine and 2 others repped this.
  15. USSoccerNova

USSoccerNova Member+

Sep 28, 2005
    Love reading about stuff like this and further evidence of the continued growth of the sport here. Nicer stadiums lead to a nicer fan experience and better overall economics, which leads to the team being able to spend more money to improve the quality of the players, coaching staff and youth initiatives. Also important in getting more people in local markets engaged in soccer in general, and by extension the national team.

Very encouraging that it's happening in the lower divisions and not just at the MLS level. Well done Louisville!

Peter Bonetti and TarHeels17 repped this.
  16. Peter Bonetti

Peter Bonetti Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    1970 WC Quarterfinal
    I wouldn’t mind USL emerging in this way in communities in a lot of the underserved, sports-oriented states like Mississippi, Arkansas, Nebraska, etc. That is how you become a national pastime. For USL, and professional soccer in general, it appears to be stadium by stadium.

Little Rock, Omaha, Jackson - I hope you’re ready!

17. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    What seems to me to be a crucial part of this story (though I haven't spoken to a lower-division exec in a while, so I'm kind of guessing here) is that a lot of money still seems to be flowing into the pro game on what I assume are models built almost entirely on optimism about the ability to make money on an operating basis (from gameday, gear, sponsorships, etc.).

I am sure there are some owners who assign some value to the possibility of big transfer fees or the advent of promotion/relegation, but that would seem to be a pretty risky thesis.

If you're a lower-division executive or investor and you want to talk to me about this, reach out!

TheFalseNine repped this.
  18. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Winoman and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  19. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
  20. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    By the way, rumor has it that the name WILL NOT be FCD2.
    It will have its own brand.

I smell FC Frisco!

TarHeels17 and TheFalseNine repped this.
  21. Runhard

Runhard Member+

Barcelona
    United States
    Jul 5, 2018

don't understand the reasoning behind taking a different name from your first team. You are a first team feeder club and no reason to distance yourself from that in my view. (other clubs do it to but just don't see the need)

The FCD Brand can't get 6K in the stands for a playoff game so not sure a USL team will be able to do much in the way of fans or branding no matter what they call themselves. Hopefully the tickets for these games are free or at a very reduced rate like general admission for $5 to $10 or I could see the only fans being the parents of these young HG players from the academy.

I would like to see this team be marketed as the future FCD first team players and be an open atmosphere of free or very cheap entry and let them make money off concessions. Also hope the play some games at the Cotton bowl or in south dallas to bring the FCD name south of Dallas and out of the suburbs.

Anderson11 and Sandon Mibut repped this.
  22. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I don't think it really matters one way or the other what the name is. Real Monarchs and Swope Park Rangers do fine. The important aspect will be regarding how the team is used to develop young players. The Cotton Bowl? NYRB2, LAG2, and Swope Park Rangers averaged 1000 or less fans per game, and FCD2 (or whatever it'll be called) will be a division below that. I do encourage the team to play games around DFW to expand the team's footprint, but let's have some realistic expectations. I doubt they even play their games at Toyota Stadium, but in one of the outer fields fitted with some bleachers. An attendance of 500 fans per game is probably the best we can hope for. Friends and families...………………..

BTW, here's a column from yesterday with a hypothetical USL lineup for FCD this spring. In order to do this exercise the author had to make a lot of assumptions regarding HG contracts to NCAA players, academy players, etc...……...which is fine. Its all hypothetical at this point. I don't agree with some of those assumptions...………………….