YNT-eligible college players -- *2019* thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Sandon Mibut, Feb 7, 2019.

1. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Yup. I mean, the guy's career is over. The results had been so mediocre over the past several years that I thought his seat was already getting pretty hot.

By the way, for us old-time USYNT watchers.................we remember when Jorge Salcedo was the captain of the U17s and U20s. We're talking about an elite youth player (Parade All-american and all that jazz which was important before MLS/DA existed). He's been in the US establishment for a long time. In fact, his father Hugo has spent a lifetime in the US soccer establishment (even working with FIFA directly for a while).

The last time I watched a whole UCLA game was the 2014 Colleg Cup. That was arguably the worst College Cup final I've ever had the misfortune of sitting thru. That was the unwatchable one against Virginia. If you ever want a kid to head to the USL/MLS/pros instead of playing NCAA soccer, put on that 2014 College Cup Final. And then talk about how many of pro prospects there were on those teams (or so we thought), and where they are now 5 years later.

xbhaskarx repped this.
  2. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I've always thought that the Salcedo hire was a case study in what not to do. Instead of judging him on his actual soccer coaching UCLA apparently decided that he checked off all the boxes. Good playing background, check. Converts winning PK for UCLA's 1990 championship, check. Good pedigree, with dad Hugo connected with FIFA, check. Decent pro resume in MLS, with a short stint at Morelia for good measure, check. Yes, he checked off all the boxes, or so they thought.

3. Luksarus

Luksarus Member

United States
    Jul 27, 2018

Jaden Servania, Brandon's brother, will attend Wake Forest

4. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1114322907210158081 is not a valid tweet id

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  5. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    This is a good move for him.

I figured he'd stay at a Catholic school and he gets to go to a program in a decent conference and will get a lot more exposure and notice at SLU than he would at Holy Cross.

I wonder why he chose SLU over, say, BC or Providence or if those schools were even interested.

6. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    U18 YNTer Hunter George, from the Sacramento Republic academy, has signed with San Diego State. He had previously verballed to UCLA so perhaps this switch is related to the Jorge Salcedo mess.

Tom Collingsworth and Luksarus repped this.
  7. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Kai Lammers, an NYCFC 01 who has gotten some U18 YNT looks, is headed to the Ivy League to play for Penn.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  8. Luksarus

Luksarus Member

United States
    Jul 27, 2018
    You mean he could be one of the students that Salcedo bribed?

9. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I'm not ready to go there. Until there is a reason to do so, I don't want to taint this kid's rep by linking him to the UCLA scandal.

xbhaskarx repped this.
  10. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's the fake athletes who were swept up in the scandal, not the real ones.

It's very typical for recruits to look elsewhere when the coach who recruited them leaves before they even arrive on campus. It's even more expected when the program is in total shambles like UCLA right now.

11. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Blake Malone, an 01 D who has gotten looks from the U19 YNT and is one of the few Sounders academy prospects not to sign a pro deal, has inked a LOI with North Carolina.

Tom Collingsworth and Winoman repped this.
  12. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    UNC's class continues to trickle out officially as they announce 01 USYNT player Julian Hinojosa from the FC Dallas academy, a place from which they've recruited often.

13. Luksarus

Luksarus Member

United States
    Jul 27, 2018
    Sebastian Berhalter '01 will attend UNC. We have to pay attention to Tar Heels, he's recruiting good freshmen.

14. Luksarus

Luksarus Member

United States
    Jul 27, 2018

Brayan Padilla '00 scored a great goal against Bethlehem. Last season he did not play much, but will be good to see how he will do this season.

Tom Collingsworth and TimB4Last repped this.
  15. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    My son and I saw this one in person - very nicely struck. Thanks for the replay, which makes clear why the game was delayed for so many minutes afterward. Bethlehem's GK crashed into the post very awkwardly and went through the full concussion protocol afterwards. He did return to action, happily.

16. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Owen Finnerty, an 01 GK from the Crew's Michigan affiliate - Crew Academy Wolves - who has spent time with the U18 YNT, is staying in state to play for Michigan.

17. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Luis Hernandez, an 01 D-mid from the FC Dallas academy who has spent time with the U18 YNT has signed with Northern Illinois.

Winoman and Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  18. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Northern Illinois is one school that's really trying to ride the Texas train. They must have 6 or 7 players from Texas. Good plan...................!!

19. Luksarus

Luksarus Member

United States
    Jul 27, 2018
    Players to follow this season:

-Andrew Thomas '98: Very good goalkeeper. He is good with his feet and also has good reflexes. His good performances last year made be called to U23 MNT.

-Carlo Ritaccio '00: He has a great physical and an excellent height, that makes his job much easier in defense. He is also good at aerial duels. He was considered the best freshman last year.

-Giuseppe Barone '98: Classic # 10. Very technically gifted player and a great passer. He has a great long shoot, and he's a pretty decent athlete.

-Zach Ryan '99: Top Scorer at Stanford last year. He is a classic # 9, He has a great shoot and he is good at aerial duels.

-Jack Lynn '00: He was important for the last Notre Dame season. Player with a great technique. He is a player with a very good skill and knows how to complement that good skill with great athleticism. His numbers like freshman are not great, but I think he really has talent and could become professional player.

TarHeels17, Winoman and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  20. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Thanks for introducing me to a new player I didn't know about -- the current lifestyle doesn't leave much time for NCAA ball. I watched some video and you're right, he's interesting. There's a HS/youth video on YouTube where he looks and plays much smaller, in a good way, than his ND-listed 6 ft. 2 in. would suggest -- quick, incisive, coordinated, heads-up, range of skills.

I don't want to take it too far, but he reminds me of what I used to think playing (in my case, pretty poorly) intramural basketball at my mid-major D1 college: There are a lot of guys with body types like this in the U.S. who I figure would make pretty darn good soccer players. Some of the best all-around athletes at my school played varsity baseball, but I suspect could've been good no matter what they'd tried.

Think, I dunno, a guy like Krisztián Németh. He's a good player, but it seems to me the U.S. should be able to produce guys like this, if they weren't playing other sports, in number -- guys around 6 ft., good all-around athletes, aggressive, smart. Lynn kinda looks to me like a guy who chose correctly, though since it looks like his dad played for SLU, maybe he didn't have a choice. ;)

USSoccerNova and Luksarus repped this.
  21. Luksarus

Luksarus Member

United States
    Jul 27, 2018
    I've seen those videos and I must say that compared to what I've seen of him in some Notre Dame games, he really has improved in all aspects last year.
    We will have to see how his development continues, but it is good to know that there is still talent in colleges.

22. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Jacobo Reyes

23. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shame no MLS team takes a chance on him. If Amaya is a starter then Reyes could easily make the bench somewhere.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  24. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Speaking of which, Portland's season starts tonight against Colgate at home. Reyes, among other potentially interesting Pilots, could make his NCAA debut.

TimB4Last repped this.
  25. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Thanks, Dave. Would you happen to know if Colgate has any freshly minted players?

Winoman repped this.